Help with new computer (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

spence -> Help with new computer (7/12/2012 12:31:20 PM)

I'm in the market for a new computer. What sort of specs are good for running this game (and a few other matrix strategy games). I'm not into 1st person shooter types.

On my present (old) computer there is a considerable delay between loading the replay and an actual start to the turn resolution. Is this unavoidable?

I've heard the game runs fine on Windows 7. Is there not a new Windows 8 version coming out and has anyone got any experience with it and this game?

rockmedic109 -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 1:11:00 PM)

Any of the computers or laptops produced today should run AE just fine. The faster the better, though. My new laptop can alt-tab quickly while my old one takes 2-3 seconds between alt-tabbing making it annoying {I write a personal AAR of the game while playing it}. The 2 yr old Sony takes about 12 seconds from button push to begining of the turn. My new one takes less than 3.

Historiker -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 1:15:45 PM)

RAM will propably be the most important thing for AE and such games.

Walloc -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 1:39:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I've heard the game runs fine on Windows 7. Is there not a new Windows 8 version coming out and has anyone got any experience with it and this game?

Windows 8 are to be released in october, while deliveries to manufactors should start in august. So thats pretty soon. Supposedly an windows 7 to win 8 update should only cost 119 danish kr around 20 $ and presumably cuz of taxes and so on even cheaper than that is the US. I wana see that before i fully believe it tho. Thats wildly different than MS previous pricing strategy, but supposedly gona happen cuz of MS intend to get windows 8 used on all platforms in time, inlcuding smart phones, tablets and so on. Presumably if ppl alrdy know the system form one platform they'd be more likely to get it on others cuz of familiarity.

About spec's based on my peronal preference in ur case. I'd get a intel dual core I5 at leased, with 6-8 GB DDR3 ram. U'd prolly live with less but more for sake longevity i'd go there. No need to buying a quad core in ur case.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Historiker -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 1:45:47 PM)

The update will only be this cheap if you buy a new PC now - not for former owners of Win7 IIRC.

n01487477 -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 2:07:40 PM)

quote:

I'm in the market for a new computer. What sort of specs are good for running this game (and a few other matrix strategy games). I'm not into 1st person shooter types.

Pretty much anything will run this today. My 10 year old desktop runs this fine - you could buy anything these days that will be okay for your needs. Having said that, isn't it better to get something with a little more grunt? Do you want a desktop or laptop ? How much ?
Intel i5 is okay, but for a little bit extra an i7 does make a difference.
Dual or Quad ? Quad for me.
Graphics Card? Nothing snazzy but better than an integrated chip.
Memory? As much as you'd like 4-8GB is standard these days.
HDD? Well go for a 7200 or a SSD for extra kick (They used to be troublesome though).
Res: (Esp important for a notebook)
Lastly, don't go for a generic Dell or HP etc (They're cheap for a reason)
quote:

On my present (old) computer there is a considerable delay between loading the replay and an actual start to the turn resolution. Is this unavoidable?

Reinstalling the O.S and clearing all the junk off your computer might make a big difference. My N53S Asus Laptop is lightning fast - and I run loads of junk at the same time.
quote:

From what I've read - not worth going to Win8 for gamers. It will be another vista-esque stepping stone IMHO. But then I'd have been happy to stay with XP.

Cheers

Walloc -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 2:36:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

The update will only be this cheap if you buy a new PC now - not for former owners of Win7 IIRC.

¨
I suspect ur right, why i was skeptical. But it was spun in an article in a danish newspaper that it was evil MS new attempt at world domination.
Wouldnt be the first nor last time that a staff writter on a mainsteam newpaper misunderstands tech news.

Any how, in either case the OP should be able to get win8 cheap if he buys win7 computer now.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

witpqs -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 3:37:24 PM)

The more memory the faster things will start up after the first time they run since the last reboot. For example, Tracker for one of my games takes about 20 seconds to start. The first time after a reboot it takes 50 seconds. The operating system does some caching in any extra memory.

Shark7 -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 4:36:51 PM)

Just from my experience, and anything with Win 7 and at least 4 GB of RAM will work, though a dual or quad core processor (which is pretty much standard now).

Also in from my experience, I'm not upgrading to windows 8 anytime soon...new releases always have issues.

jeffk3510 -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 6:05:54 PM)

I have an older desktop with XP and she runs wonderfully.

I am in the process of building a 500-750$ one though that I can spec out to meet my needs. I play EU3 a lot with my brother.. I am wanting to go up to Divine Wind, and I need a different graphics card for that.

Building your own can be a great way to go, but AE doesn't require a $5000 computer to run it or anything. Nothing really fancy IMO.

Dili -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 6:18:32 PM)

I thin it is better probably to invest in an SSD than in a quad core. In some 17.3" you can have 2 disks plus DVD. In a 15.6" if you don't want the DVD driver you can put a disk.

rwolan@sbcglobal.net -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 9:17:59 PM)

Desktop or Laptop?

IMHO, desktop is the way to go for a "dedicated" home computer. It is usually cheaper to buy, allows for more options (Monitor size, HDD's, etc)and is easily upgraded (non-OEM).

A laptop is great if you want to use it in multiple locations, but then you are stuck with a higher purchase price, less options, and very limited upgrade path. Also remember that the battery on a laptop is only rated to take so many charges before you have to replace it.

I have a gaming laptop that I bought a couple of years back for work and school (yeah I now, but the excuse worked!)that now is pretty much stuck to its ac power supply unless I want to spend $80 on a new battery.

Most of the boutique PC vendors now offer a "entry level" machine at a decent price. I would avoid HP, Dell and the like as they use proprietary components and drivers.

Just my 2 cents.......

zuluhour -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 10:36:01 PM)

I paid 350 bucks for HP slimline from best buys. runs witp-ae fine (desk top)

mjk428 -> RE: Help with new computer (7/12/2012 11:39:15 PM)

Info on upgrading to Win 8. No need to do it at this time but the price is right.

quote:

One of the offers is directed at consumers who buy new Windows 7 PCs between June 2 and Jan. 31 next year. Available in 131 markets, this offer lets these customers upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99.

Microsoft hasn't disclosed retail prices for shrink-wrapped, standalone versions of Windows 8, but the current equivalent to Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, is priced at $199.99.

Windows 7 editions that qualify for this offer are Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate. It doesn't cover Windows 7 Starter, the most basic version for consumers, nor Windows 7 Enterprise, designed for workplace PCs.

Consumers who qualify don't necessarily have to install the Windows 8 Pro upgrade on the Windows 7 PC they bought during the offer period. They could install the OS on an older PC running Windows XP, for example.

The other offer, announced this week, is for people who bought their Windows PC prior to June 2 and are running Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. They will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro via download for $39.99 or by purchasing a DVD at a retail store for $69.99. The offer ends Jan. 31 and, like the other upgrade deal, is available in 131 markets.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/258921/windows_8_upgrade_deals_may_be_doubleedged_sword_for_microsoft.html

Posted from a PC running Win 8 Release Preview Build 8400.

spence -> RE: Help with new computer (7/13/2012 12:19:59 AM)

I do appreciate all responses from those who know about such things. I am more inclined to a LAPTOP type replacement since I get to (sort of) be there for my wife if I am in the same room.
I get confused when people start to discuss tools more complicated than hammers[:D]

mjk428 -> RE: Help with new computer (7/13/2012 12:27:14 AM)

quote:

I do appreciate all responses from those who know about such things. I am more inclined to a LAPTOP type replacement since I get to (sort of) be there for my wife if I am in the same room.
I get confused when people start to discuss tools more complicated than hammers[:D]

I highly recommend Costco for a laptop purchase because of the excellent return policy, double warranty, and fair prices.

Last year I bought an Acer at Costco and after a couple of weeks decided I wanted something with more features. Ended up returning it and getting an HP refurb. List price was over a grand but I got it for $600.

http://shop.costco.com/Customer-Service/Concierge.aspx

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI