Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

jpinard -> Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/27/2012 7:24:34 AM)

So I've been brainstorming what would be the easiest/quickest way to make the Interface more usable for those of us using higher resolutions and came up with the option below. I understand why Codeforce doesn't want to change the entire thing, which is why I focused on just those elements we use/click the most and will not interfere with other Interface elements.

I figured out the best way they can do it, is the exact same way Gaslamp Games handled Dungeons of Dredmor's high resolution Interface problem. All Codeforce needs to do is resize the left Interface panels to 140% since that's what we use most. Even if they didn't fix the fonts it would still be better than what we've got now. What do you all think?

Before:

[image]http://www.jeffpinard.com/Distant Worlds Interface for High Resolutions 1.png[/image]

After:

[image]http://www.jeffpinard.com/Distant Worlds - Interface Elements at 140.png[/image]

jpinard -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/27/2012 7:32:02 AM)

Note: I performed the resizing in MS Paint which is why it's so distorted. I'm sure it would scale better in the game than what you're seeing here. But even if it didn't, it would be more usable as the buttons would be larger. I find it very difficult to click the tiny hotspots like Troops, etc.

joeyeti -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/27/2012 9:04:47 AM)

I am no programmer, nor do I know how Code Force handles the interface.

But I gather that any such change involves enough work for CF to tweak the whole UI, so if that moment comes, they would handle it on a larger scale and such small improvements would not be worth the invested effort...

lart -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/27/2012 9:23:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

I am no programmer, nor do I know how Code Force handles the interface.

But I gather that any such change involves enough work for CF to tweak the whole UI, so if that moment comes, they would handle it on a larger scale and such small improvements would not be worth the invested effort...

Unfortunately the moment hasn't come for like 2 years. So I agree with jpinard that every little bit helps. Right now I can't play this game unless I buy a new display:(

WoodMan -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/27/2012 10:15:05 AM)

It should definately be optional though! I like to be able to see more map and less interface. A toggle like you say would be fine.

Bleek -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/27/2012 1:40:20 PM)

The GUI would suggest that the lead programmer has a 1990's 1024x monitor. [:(][:D]

Shark7 -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/27/2012 3:39:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

It should definately be optional though! I like to be able to see more map and less interface. A toggle like you say would be fine.

Optional yes, I like the way it is now...small and out of the way so I get to see more of my 'battlefield' on screen. But there are some people who have visions issues that would benefit from larger font sizes, etc.

Darkspire -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/28/2012 9:09:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleek

The GUI would suggest that the lead programmer has a 1990's 1024x monitor. [:(][:D]

Like me, PC built from scrap then rebuilt from a better pile of scrap, monitor from another pile, wide screen could never get on with, and if your old enough to remember, CRT monitors. they used to take all the room up behind them now we have wide screen and they take up all the space to the side of them, advancements in tech eh [8|]

If you want to resize GFX, try Irfanview, its very good at image sizing without leaving the blurred end result, if you want let me know what files you want done and ill do them for you.

Darkspire

Bleek -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (8/28/2012 9:46:09 AM)

Stop being nostalgic, CRT's are cumbersome, fuzzy with age, radiate x-rays and out of place on the modern desk! ;)

Don't get me wrong I spent a fortune on my CRT in the late 90's (£600 which was $1,200 at the time), these days I have a triple display 3x23" and I wouldn't go back!

kfoelsch -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (4/17/2016 9:48:58 AM)

I would also like to be able to play this game at higher resolutions. I happen to have a 5K imac... changing the resolution to play makes me want to play something else that looks nicer.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Interface fix for Higher Resolutions (1920x1080)+ (4/17/2016 4:23:12 PM)

What happened to Woodman? He has not been active for a long time.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI