Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

sanderz -> Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/27/2012 11:05:43 AM)

Hi

If i read the help screen correctly Terraforming facilities only improve planet quality where its been "reduced" by combat or events etc.

i.e. you can't use them just to improve low quality planets :(

My problem is i can't find how i can tell which planets have been damaged to know where to build my terraforming facilities.

What am i missing?

Thanks

WoodMan -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/27/2012 1:01:40 PM)

Hey sanderz,

You will have to wait for a disaster to strike (or bombing I think) to reduce the quality. When you click on a planet, in the box at the bottom left of the screen you can see its details including its quality in %

As a rule of thumb, anything above 50% can provide a profitable colony in the long run. The higher, the better!

If the planet becomes damaged you will see it say instead Quality 52% Max 82%. This tells you the current and full quality of the planet. Don't wait for this to happen! If you have a colony with 2 billion or more people and you can afford it, build a terraforming facility. Always best to be prepared for emergency! Some races are less likely to encounter disasters on certain types of planets though. For example Shandar can avoid disaster on Volvanic worlds. So if you are playing them, perhaps it is best to build the terraforming facilities at your non-volcanic worlds first [:)]

Gareth_Bryne -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/27/2012 3:14:25 PM)

Actually, Woodman, I'm sorry to say that for me terraforming facilities are generally useless. The planet regenerates by itself, slower, of course. Your example is a good one, but such cases are very rare. Disasters by themselves are quite rare. If bombardment was used more frequently, or if ground combat would be remade to damage the planet a little, maybe then the TF would see much use.

WoodMan -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/27/2012 4:19:54 PM)

Hehe, I build them at *all* my colonies. If your economy is strong enough to support it I can't see a reason not to [:)]

sanderz -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/27/2012 4:21:44 PM)

hi guys

thanks for the info - will have a closer look when next in the game

scotten_usa -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/27/2012 4:39:22 PM)

I've built a few, to some effect. My homeworld got hit by a massive disaster when my empire was ~ 10 colonies. After I built the Terraforming facility, the planet was able to heal much quicker.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/27/2012 5:24:26 PM)

The bloated game economy makes them a no brainer like most of the building stuff in the game but they do not really match the description either as you would think it would improve planet quality for poor planets.I have tweaked the A.I's policy files so they all use bombard whne possible so it has a use in a modded game.[:)]

onomastikon -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/27/2012 5:46:47 PM)

I'm with Ashbery. I have no idea what to spend my cash on once the mid-game is over. I build whatever I can on everything, just for something to do between waiting for my crash research programs to finish.

jpwrunyan -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (8/28/2012 2:33:55 AM)

I think the terraforming facility is more useful for colonies you have invaded after massive bombardment. Now more than ever since with the bombardment focusing on troops you may take over a planet bursting with population living in low quality. But yeah, i do wish you could get a boost to quality max at least for low quality planets so that they had some non-military use.

Apheirox -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (9/1/2012 3:41:24 PM)

It does seem terraforming doesn't get to play the large role it does in many other 4x games - I think it's a shame. I'd love to see the ability to transform barren planets into useable ones as well as improving the quality of already settled planets (a system like that of Endless Space would work well). The game does sort of have terraforming in the sense that colonization techs improve growth rate of previous class of planets which can be understood as that they are terraforming the planets but having an actual full terraforming system where planets graphically change and you can change a low-quality volcanic world into a pristine earth-like one (at a heavy cost) would be interesting.

szabferi -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (9/1/2012 5:13:32 PM)

Btw, do the facilities (like the currently discussed terraforming, but also all the other like the droidworks or cloning vats) have upkeep costs? I cant find any indication of that...

Modest -> RE: Terraforming Facilities - how do you know where they are needed? (9/1/2012 6:06:10 PM)

Facilities, wonders and racial wonders do not have any unkeep costs.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI