campaign around the world (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

panzerfist -> campaign around the world (1/25/2001 6:38:00 AM)

bear with me on this: i visited the website for warhammer 40k some time ago and i really liked what they had set up. what it was, was a map of the world and several theaters of battle on each continent. gamers would play games against each other and send in the results to the databank who would then update the course of the war and have it reflect on this site. so gamers, playing as a part of one side each, could play a battle and then go to this site and see how their team was doing. it added to the battles, making each combat seem important rather than just another win or loss. so heres what im wondering - would it be possible to set up a site that does the same thing for spwaw. i have had several ideas: players can register like on combat command but instead of going to a tournament page, they go to the page showing the map and current status of the war. from the looks of the tourney board, there is an even mix of axis and allied players so having too many people on one side shouldnt be a problem. how to play? hmmm, how about something like this. each person who signs up picks an axis or allied country. once they pick, they are assigned a certain amount of points that they will use during a battle (say 4000). once the game is closed (i.e. no one else is allowed to join in) each member is assigned an area to defend. so if i picked germany, then i would have an area in germany to defend. (side note this can be designated any way. a flag or id number). once the game starts, the players attack and defend on the map as they desire (example: im a german player defending a section of germany on the border. a person playing russia wants to do battle. so we set the system up so that that player can challenge me to combat like command control is set up now. if i agree to fight, we fight. if i dont agree, then my points must move out of that area and the russian player gets my territory. the results of the combat are sent to a database manager who updates the main page to reflect this turn in the war. so when the russian fighter goes to this site, he sees that he has taken part of germany.) once a player loses his points, he is out of the game. the players playing a given country would have to work as a team to win the whole game. therefore, it would be a little better allowing spwaw fans to meet each other and work on master strategy, as well as battlefield tactics. persons who win a battle could be awarded extra points toward their next battle to show that the upper chain of command has faith in this given general and has blessed him with reinforcements. anyway - its just an idea. it was something that i thought might take spwaw to a new level. i think it would be difficult to arrange, but once set up, it would be outstanding.

Toey -> (1/25/2001 8:43:00 AM)

Sound like a great idea, but it would take a lot of work to implement!

Wild Bill -> (1/25/2001 11:39:00 AM)

Fantastic idea, Panzerfist. Someone would need to be the arbiter and asssign battles, keeping records. It could be quite a mega campaign, however, and a lot of fun! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

panzerfist -> (1/25/2001 10:00:00 PM)

i guess the question would be, would it be worth the effort? in my opinion, it would. id rather play a game where each battle meant something more than a talley mark in the win or loss column. of course, there are other concerns like, would matrix support such an idea/website that would be needed to facilitate this mega campaign? as far as record keeping and so on, well, id do what i can. id be interested in what people think in general.

skukko -> (1/25/2001 10:23:00 PM)

Hello. Just wanted to add little to this. First: Go to C&C-forum and do search with keyword pbem-campaign, or something like that. Second : It would be great war, it could last years to even get out of the borders germany. And then invade other countries. How many pbem -gamer can be with it few months to finish even 2 or 3 battles? Losses happen in the war, so it really is not big thing if that pbem-Patton and Wittmann-wannabe disperse after winning five games. (At pbem no excuses can be questioned, we have our life..) I could be part of that global war as it seems now, half year pbems behind my back. And as it has to be done by people with better knowledge than average gamer (is there such?) has, could we ask them to be with it years to come? Build it inside SPWAW 5.9 so that none work of programmers is needed, except that OOb error which was in version 4.6 ok, but in 4.8 incarnated and have stucked ever since. We need our dreams, this is kinda wet dream [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] But questions have to be asked before getting answer to them. mosh

Drake -> (1/26/2001 2:29:00 AM)

Yup, this looks like a cool idea [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] Some ideas how to do it and keep it simple at the same time. Have a map Europe that is made up of hexes, everytime one side wins a battle have that side lose one hex. Have the camapaign start in 1939 and have it so for every week that passes a month of campaign time will pass. In this way any games started in the first week would be played in September and will use equipment from that time and any game that a person started playing the next week would use equipment from that month and so on. Also have it so that each German player wound have a 500 point bonus to his games at the start and for every month that gows by that will decrese by 20 and once he is at 0, the allies will start getting a 20 point bonus added ontill July 1945 when the war would end. At that time if Germany still has any land left they will win. Also if German takes all the allies land before then they wound win, same with the allies.

panzerfist -> (1/26/2001 6:12:00 AM)

i was thinking the same thing drake, as far as starting in sep of 39 and moving it along. i dont think one war would take years to play out. i think that you can limit the amount of people who enter a game and if those people play with any amount of frequency, then the battles and war should go pretty quickly. the problem with showing any decrease in the points for a given side is that, in a sense, the idea is to fight the war they way you would have fought it. by decreasing points to show a historical effect, your taking something from history. even though this is a historical game, the idea behind a page like this is to use strategy and tactics in the ww2 genre, and to test your own skills without historical influence (i dont know if the point is getting lost here). as far as the map and hexes are concerned, i was thinking of something similar. people would move their points in a hex for strategic positionsing and each hex would not have to have an army. see - i think a page like this would be great and i wonder - a page was set up for tourney play. that had to be some work and must still be some work if people are updating it all the time. would a page like this really be that hard to do? i guess the only real question would be - is it worth it?

ruxius -> (1/26/2001 7:08:00 AM)

Hi mr. PanzerFist..excellent extension of SPWAW culture!...I really liked this idea since SP1..I liked to organize a master who was playing the role of reality..and who let other gamers to play in a 'campaign' all togheter beyond a single battle...I had some problems first of all with the security...well If you do not know your enemies how can you trust them ? I mean play without restarting if your loved tanks become steel ruins..and second : a synchronization problem...I had to make things going on even if players have their own problems... but I think a solution can be found and I am sure I will do something like the thing you are talking about in the future... as for now I still have to study the new possibilities offered by SPWAW 4.6 in this direction... now I am studying at university and I have no much time but write down my e-mail..I am very interested in your project.. As regards Matrix Games I really think they should believe more in the possibilities of SPWAW's developmentes in order to have economical returns from it..just only think to bringing SPWAW in 3d like Panzer General 3D...or extend SPWAW with an environment like strategic maps next to battle maps as all we know...(that is what your are talking about ) Will not SSI consider that these extensions could bring SPWAW as a purchaseble product ? And will not all of us run in stores to buy it ? Fortunately MAtrix team understood all of these things and Combat leader maybe represents this evolution of SPWAW in to a new dimension.. so now they have their own work and I respect them for what gave to us !..thus we have to manage this thing by ourselves and I hope to succed in doing something Don 't loose your hope ,mate !

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI