mainland land combat (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

jmalter -> mainland land combat (9/2/2012 5:47:38 AM)

where this is quite different from land combat on island hexes.

you can't bring dedicated supply, but must rely on whatever the game-engine allows.

i rely on surrounding my target w/ low-value LCUs in adjacent hexes, i gather that when these units (which must have in Inf AV) are present, they'll prevent the target's defenders from retreating into their hex.

but what i want to do is prevent the defenders from getting supply, & i gather that my adjacent LCU doesn't 'close the door' to enemy supply-points passing thru my blocking hexes.

do i need to both a) occupy all adjacent hexes & b) enter the target hex from all adjacent hexes in order to truly isolate the target?

Sardaukar -> RE: mainland land combat (9/2/2012 8:48:43 AM)

Yes, you need either to own the hexes around or fully own the hex-sides of target hex.

BBfanboy -> RE: mainland land combat (9/3/2012 2:20:59 PM)

In most cases, occupying the roads and railroads leading into the target hex will reduce supply to a tiny amount that is insufficient for the enemy's needs.

They will have to use up their unit stocks [normally one month + 10 points worth] and at that point will begin to suffer lack of supply penalties, like having no AA, no artillery, no medical supplies to recover disabled squads, etc. The process can be speeded along by making them use supplies at a greater rate (in combat) so that they arrive at 0 supply sooner.
The trickle coming overland in will not sustain them. Point being, it is rare to have enough LCU to surround an enemy unit without other enemy units being nearby to break through the seige. More often, you have enough to occupy the roads/railroads that lead to the enemy and that should be sufficient.

jmalter -> RE: mainland land combat (9/4/2012 7:56:03 AM)

my game's in 5/43, i've got some heavy land combat going on in the CBI. in Burma & Malaysia, there's a lot of BTN-sized Burmese units that available, wile in China, there's always a no-hope low-AV corps that can be divided into 3 parts. while my main LCUs rest/train adjacent to their target, these light units move to surround it, this might take a week or 3.

but if i take my time & get these light units in place, i can deliberate-attack the target w/ my main force, and annihilate the defenders. the surrounding light units prevent the surviving defenders from retreating to an adjacent hex, where i'd have to move & defeat them a 2nd time.

wadail -> RE: mainland land combat (9/4/2012 6:56:06 PM)

I am finding that in Burma, at least, once you go on the offensive, if you don't pull the LCUs back to a base with 2x its supply and get them reinforced, the next thing you know you have a lot of infantry brigades running around with no infantry squads, and attacks that should be 4 or 5 to 1 end up being 1-2 or 1-3 because the units have been bled dry after fighting through 8 hexes of jungle.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI