Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support

LoBaron -> Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (9/17/2012 9:31:31 AM)

This has been found due an initial investigation by GreJoy and a couple of others, after which I did some testing.

I think there is a problem with the "No Replacement Pilot" message when pulling replacement pilots if pools are empty.

On pilot pull you notice the red colored "Replacement" switch, and when selecting "Get X pilots" the "No Replacement Pilots" message is displayed.
What I assume by measuring the timespan the message is displayed - very long - is that it pops up once per transferred pilot.

So, if you pull 12 pilots you see the message for 12 x MD (where MD = Message Delay).

I think this should not be the case.

Besides this bug I got 2 questions:

- Should "Get Pilot" be possible when replacement pools are empty? Castor Troy and witpqs both stated this is not the case on their version,
maybe they could follow up with details. From memory I believe it should be possible, but there have been some changes, so donīt know for sure.

- Is the "No Replacement Pilot" popup intentional, even if pilot pull is possible out of training course?
(Red replacement switch indicates empty pools anyway)

Please note that I was testing with a PBEM started +2 years ago and upgraded several times, so this might have an impact on my findings.
Also note that I tested this repeatedly with reloading the save in between and emptying not only the replacement pool but also the 10-12m
training course.

Please see screenshots below for further details.

[image]http://image-upload.de/image/ROQALo/5f24d6c547.png[/image]

GreyJoy -> RE: Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (9/17/2012 9:52:07 AM)

Think Michealm already stated in this thread that it's supposed to work this way...i think only the message pop-up is bugged...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2979196

LoBaron -> RE: Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (9/17/2012 10:13:41 AM)

Thanks GJ, that was the thread I remembered, heres the relevant post.

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm
There never was 'beta' change to stop pilots from being drawn from the training pool.
There was one change to stop players from continually drawing average exp pilots once the pool was empty. This was a left over from WITP days and was a bug.
Another change was to draw low exp named pilots once replacement pool expired.
If the pilot pool selection is REPLACEMENT and no pilots left in main pool, then it should be taking the cream of the trainees.

michaelm75au -> RE: Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (9/17/2012 10:58:59 AM)

The 'No pilot' message relates to the fact that there are NO pilots in the Replacement pool you are trying to pull from. It then goes and tries the Trainee pool and may find one. IF none are there, it would show the 'No pilot' message again.
Because of the double take, it needs to show the message else it might not show up at all under other situations.[;)]

LoBaron -> RE: Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (9/17/2012 12:10:27 PM)

quote:

The 'No pilot' message relates to the fact that there are NO pilots in the Replacement pool you are trying to pull from. It then goes and tries the Trainee pool and may find one. IF none are there, it would show the 'No pilot' message again.
Because of the double take, it needs to show the message else it might not show up at all under other situations.[;)]

Thanks Michael!

Can it be that this check is performed for every single pilot in a row if you use the "Get X Pilots" button? Because this would explain why the message is displayed for so
long, which can be rather annoying. I suspect that if you "Get 12 Pilots", as in my example above (prerequisite: Replacement Pilots pool is empty, trainee pool is full) the check
you mention is performed 12 times, and so the message is displayed 12 times in a row.

My point is that this check is only required once (for the preset ammount of pilots). This way the long delay when the "No pilot" message is displayed could be prevented.
Or am I misinterpreting the situation?

michaelm75au -> RE: Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (9/17/2012 12:37:31 PM)

No. The message is displayed in the routine that does 'get 1 pilot'. Rather than outside the repeat x times 'get 1 pilot' loop.

LoBaron -> RE: Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (9/17/2012 1:26:53 PM)

Thanks. I assume it does not justify potential sideffects to move it out of the 'Get 1 Pilot' loop.

witpqs -> RE: Possible "No Replacement Pilot" Message Bug and Question (9/17/2012 3:38:50 PM)

quote:

No. The message is displayed in the routine that does 'get 1 pilot'. Rather than outside the repeat x times 'get 1 pilot' loop.

It's been a while since I did it, but as I recall I was using the 'get x pilots' button when the trained pilot pool ran dry and I got the 'out of pilot slots' message. I was able to determine by looking around that I was not out of pilot slots, only out of trained pilots for that nationality (I had it happen early in a game for the Chinese and the Soviets).

That was with 1108r9. I don't remember if I reported it. It wasn't a big deal, just a wrong message that should be pretty rare in the wild.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI