explanation of terms (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

eniced33 -> explanation of terms (12/13/2002 4:56:41 AM)

Can someone give me a good explanation of the terms in the encyclopedia. For example: ACC, Kill, PEN, HEAT, APCR, Range and Warhead. Why are there two numbers for each and what do these numbers mean. What is the max number or the range on each category. I know the help manual explains these, but I think it does a poor job for a newbie like me. Survivability, Rate, Targeting and Fire Control - I know what these mean but what is the max and min values for these categories. Any help to help me is appreciated. Thanks Eric

Voriax -> (12/13/2002 2:53:08 PM)

Hello

Some explanations:

ACC = This value is in hexes. If the value is 15, for example, it means that under certain 'base' conditions you have 50% chance of hitting a target 15 hexes away. Many things modify this value, like movement, crew experience, fire control, suppression etc.

Kill = This tells you what is the maximum number of casualties you can inflict with this weapon. Of course this value applies only to small arms and HE gun ammunition.

Pen = Now this is the maximum armour penetration for said gun in millimeters. When you compare this value to the armour values of the target you can get a clue whether you are just 'knocking on the door' or have a real chance of killing the target. The reason for two numbers is that the left one is for HE ammo and the right one is for AP ammo.

HEAT and APCR = These are two special ammo types. HEAT means High Explosive Anti Tank, the number in this case is also the maximum penetration. But what is special for this type of ammo is that the pen. value does not decrease with distance. However you may not always get the max. value as there is small variation included to represent ammo quality differences.

APCR means Armour Piercing Composite Rigid, and yes, the number is again ammo penetration. As you can see the value is higher than normal AP. Drawback is that the range is somewhat shorter.

Range..well kinda obvious? The reason for two numbers is that the left one is for AP/HE/HEAT types of ammo and the right one is for APCR. This is in hexes and of course the maximum range.

Warhead. This is the warhead size. Basically it determines what happens when a round penetrates. Large warhead -> more likely that the target is destroyes at once or that you break some equipment.

As for maximum values...for armour penetration I think the maximum possible is 255. As for range it's bit more difficult due to the system used in determining ranges. for direct fire weapons the max is somewhere around 80 hexes. Then for offboard artillery it's somewhere in the range of 200 hexes. Sorry for the bit uncertain values but I just don't remember the cutoff point where the range calculation method changes.

As for max/min values in general..while the values in kill, warhead, targeting etc might go very high the normal range is from zero to 7-8 or so..in most cases these values are between 0 and 5. Don't know how high numbers the game will accept but if you put figures like 20 for fire control and targetting you'd get something better than modern tanks... :)

Survivability...here higher is better. This value is used in determining whther your tank crew bails out when their tank is destroyed or whether they die with the tank. Also ( I think) it affects to what happens when the tank receives a penetrating hit.

Rate? Rate of fire you mean? This is the number of shots a regular crew can fire each turn, maximum. This value increases if you have elite crew
and if the unit has been still for couple turns.

Targeting & Fire control. These values affect to your first shot hit % and how much your hit % increases for following shots at the same targets. Note that the % rise doesn't always happen as there are several other factors affecting the firing resolution.
Again, higher is better.

Voriax

rbrunsman -> (12/13/2002 10:34:08 PM)

Thanks Voriax. I never knew so much info was available. That is very helpful stuff. You should help write the CL manual. Why isn't it this simply explained in the SPWAW manual?

Svennemir -> (12/14/2002 12:02:14 AM)

HE KILL and WARHEAD determine efficiency against infantry. I didn't know there was any maximum limit for a given KILL value. WARHEAD value also determines (which is its most important role) splash damage/supression done to nearby units.

Thus you will notice that handguns and guns firing Bullets generally have a WARHEAD value of 1, while explosive stuff like grenades have 2,3,4, etc. Big guns like 203mm have even greater values.

The Sturmtiger tops the list, being able to supress and kill infantry *two hexes away from impact* !

eniced33 -> excellent info. (12/14/2002 7:03:40 AM)

Thanks for all of the useful information. That was a much more thorough explanation compared to the manual. Now I have a better understanding of what the armor and vehicles can do. Thanks again for the help. Eric

Voriax -> (12/16/2002 2:58:09 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]Thanks Voriax. I never knew so much info was available. That is very helpful stuff. You should help write the CL manual. Why isn't it this simply explained in the SPWAW manual? [/B][/QUOTE]

I'd be happy to write at least parts of that manual...if that'd mean I'd get a pre-release copy of CL to play with :) :)
Perhaps you you recommend me to the Matrix people??? ;)

Voriax

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI