A brief update... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series

Erik Rutins -> A brief update... (9/27/2012 6:58:14 PM)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know what's been going on behind the scenes. Eric and I have been coordinating on a much more significant update based on your 1.6 feedback. Among the things that this includes:

1. Super high quality boardgame map options, effectively the same resolution as the board game maps themselves. These look fantastic even when zoomed in. There will now be a Low resolution (1.6 equivalent) Medium resolution (4x the resolution of 1.6) and High resolution (16x the resolution of 1.6) option for the boardgame maps. These can also now be turned on and off with an in-game option. The higher resolutions require a decent video card because of the amount of video memory required - old cards will have to settle for the lower resolution options.

2. Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering within the new high resolution counters. This makes them look very sharp and makes the numbers much more readable even when zoomed out. These combined with the high resolution board game maps give you something that looks pretty much exactly like the tabletop version.

3. Ability to play multiplayer with beta versions as well as official releases. The version a player is using will be reported next to their name in the lobby and a warning will be given if you are running a different version from your opponent.

4. Multiple other graphical and usability improvements.

5. Full implementation of the Classic AP system (this is part of the preparation for Storm of Steel, which is scheduled for Q1 2013, but we'll be making it available to all COH owners.

There will also be a new demo available once this update goes official. At that point we're really hoping to get everyone in the computer and board game world to take a second look at COH. Your help spreading the word at that point will be much appreciated! We're doing our best to listen to our community and give you what you want to make this the definitive digital COH.

Regards,

- Erik

z1812 -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 12:29:11 AM)

Good News!

e_barkmann -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 2:54:40 AM)

Excellent news on all dot points, I appreciate the dev and publisher attention to the feedback.

cheers

junk2drive -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 3:06:38 AM)

Good news especially a demo. Let's hope that the regulars will pick up MP games with people trying the demo.

MikeGER -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 9:34:01 AM)

Excellent ! [:)]

Charly G -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 9:51:36 AM)

Very good news with a much more significant update and Storm of Steel, which is scheduled for Q1 2013
Do you think this official update will be avalaible soon ?

Crender -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 12:33:23 PM)

Excellent news. Thanks for the efforts to improve the game.

Jamm -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 2:32:59 PM)

Much appreciated[sm=happy0065.gif]

Ratzki -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 5:25:53 PM)

Great news, looking forward to the update!!

DoubleDeuce -> RE: A brief update... (9/28/2012 10:57:48 PM)

Certainly looking forward to it.

JMass -> RE: A brief update... (9/29/2012 9:36:17 AM)

Very interesting news, I bought it five minutes ago hoping real life permitting me to play it online! [8D]

hugi -> RE: A brief update... (9/30/2012 4:28:17 PM)

Now is the only question: WHEN ...

How about a new tunier or liga?

wodin -> RE: A brief update... (9/30/2012 10:42:45 PM)

Hmmm...boardgame maps at high res and high res counters...now I may be interested.

I've a sneaky feeling this hasn't achieved the sales one would imagine. So I do hope these changes to make it more like the boardgame help.

I'd also concentrate on the AI..as most who play against someone will already have the boardgame for that. This should really I think be seen as away to play quickly against the AI when ever you fancy. As I doubt it will ever be huge enough to always have people out and about ready to match up.

As for the counters..I know your sticking to the boardgame look...but I honestly feel the top down view is so much better for a wargame..maybe you could add an alternative counter set?

Charly G -> RE: A brief update... (10/3/2012 8:55:33 AM)

The higher resolutions will require a decent video card because of the amount of video memory required. What type of video card will be necessary to play with High resolution and all graphic options ?
Can we hope the new patch in October ?

ericbabe -> RE: A brief update... (10/3/2012 10:00:50 PM)

We haven't ascertained the minimum video requirements for the new graphics. The new "giant" resolution maps require 256MB on the video card all by themselves, so this will roughly add about 256MB in video card memory to the current requirements. The giant maps also won't work with PS2.0 because of the number of separate samplers required to stitch the whole thing together.

Hopefully the patch will be out before too long. The giant sized maps and additional classic AP mechanisms were quite a bit of work.

clifford1944 -> RE: A brief update... (10/4/2012 6:55:18 AM)

Good. Keep up the work on patching this game. I am going to get it soon.

Ratzki -> RE: A brief update... (10/6/2012 3:11:54 AM)

What ball-park time frames are we looking at for both the update and the next release in the series?

ericbabe -> RE: A brief update... (10/6/2012 7:33:10 PM)

A candidate for the update is in in-house testing right now. We're looking to see whether my programming has placated the general-protection-fault gods.

The next release will be out when it's ready [:)] -- at the earliest that would be the first part of next year.

BletchleyGeek -> RE: A brief update... (10/9/2012 1:08:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe
A candidate for the update is in in-house testing right now. We're looking to see whether my programming has placated the general-protection-fault gods.

The next release will be out when it's ready [:)] -- at the earliest that would be the first part of next year.

I've been sitting on the fence on this one for six months now, and reading this thread just made me to pull the trigger and get it.

Looking forward to test this H2H [:)]

Duck Doc -> RE: A brief update... (10/21/2012 1:17:55 AM)

I am so happy a graphic update is in the works. The game mechanics are fantastic but the graphics were a real bummer. I thought I could put aside the graphic element & just play but it was too painful to play. I will be all over this title again once the graphics are improved. Hurry, please.[:D]

hugi -> RE: A brief update... (10/27/2012 2:59:27 AM)

Any news ... the waiting is so hard! come on ... give us 1.6 or some candy.

please! [&o]

Erik Rutins -> RE: A brief update... (10/27/2012 4:27:32 PM)

Hi everyone,

We were on the verge of release when Eric had a fairly disastrous system crash. He's getting back up and running, but it will likely be another week before we can get the intended release candidate to the internal test team and then get it out to the public.

Regards,

- Erik

Jamm -> RE: A brief update... (10/27/2012 6:52:56 PM)

quote:

Bummer,..

steveuk -> RE: A brief update... (10/27/2012 9:12:22 PM)

I'm also keeping a watchful eye on this title. I take it the game is quite similar to Avalon Hill's Squad Leader? If so I will definately purchase once the update is ready.

ericbabe -> RE: A brief update... (11/1/2012 9:04:15 PM)

After a complete hard drive fail my development system is mostly up and running again; I was able to make a full rebuild of COH last night at 2:30 AM. I still have some tools to finish reinstalling, and after that I should be back in action again very soon.

Talon_XBMCX -> RE: A brief update... (11/2/2012 1:50:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

... I was able to make a full rebuild of COH last night at 2:30 AM ...

The sign of a true developer ... 2:30am is still last night [;)]

Best wishes for a speedy re-install!

JudgeDredd -> RE: A brief update... (11/2/2012 9:38:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know what's been going on behind the scenes. Eric and I have been coordinating on a much more significant update based on your 1.6 feedback. Among the things that this includes:

1. Super high quality boardgame map options, effectively the same resolution as the board game maps themselves. These look fantastic even when zoomed in. There will now be a Low resolution (1.6 equivalent) Medium resolution (4x the resolution of 1.6) and High resolution (16x the resolution of 1.6) option for the boardgame maps. These can also now be turned on and off with an in-game option. The higher resolutions require a decent video card because of the amount of video memory required - old cards will have to settle for the lower resolution options.

2. Anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering within the new high resolution counters. This makes them look very sharp and makes the numbers much more readable even when zoomed out. These combined with the high resolution board game maps give you something that looks pretty much exactly like the tabletop version.

3. Ability to play multiplayer with beta versions as well as official releases. The version a player is using will be reported next to their name in the lobby and a warning will be given if you are running a different version from your opponent.

4. Multiple other graphical and usability improvements.

5. Full implementation of the Classic AP system (this is part of the preparation for Storm of Steel, which is scheduled for Q1 2013, but we'll be making it available to all COH owners.

There will also be a new demo available once this update goes official. At that point we're really hoping to get everyone in the computer and board game world to take a second look at COH. Your help spreading the word at that point will be much appreciated! We're doing our best to listen to our community and give you what you want to make this the definitive digital COH.

Regards,

- Erik

Now you're talking.

I dropped out of testing (my apologies again eric) because I just didn't get the Conflict of Heroes feel. I realise this came from the designer - but I just wasn't playing Conflict of Heroes...and I said so, apologised and left.

But this sounds great. The computer version of this boardgame needed to mimic the boardgame. Everything about the boardgame was what I loved about it.

I'm glad it'll be getting that boardgame feel back. When the new demo is available I will be all over it and if it gives me conflict of Heroes on the PC - it'll most definitely be a buy from me.

I'm glad to see Eric and Matrix have stuck by this and have been listening too - a sign of a good company[&o]

junk2drive -> RE: A brief update... (11/26/2012 1:47:20 PM)

I'm still enjoying the 3D choice over the chits and board maps. Glad there is a choice and hope they continue to add 3D models.

What a WWII game needs is mid-late war with big tanks. Second is Westerners like to play with Western allies. Grogs love East Front but casual gamers like Hollywood's version of the war.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI