Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

godochaos -> Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/28/2012 5:08:15 PM)

I am a new allied player who has played the campaign but not pbem.
I am trying to get a pbem game going and my potential opponent has requested to use RA.

After reading the description of RA I like it, but as a new allied player I wonder if the advantages it gives the Japanese will be a bit too much for me to handle in a 1st PBEM game. Extra Japanese Ships can be sunk, but what really concerns me is the idea that SNLF units will get built in CD arty. Thats not something that can be casually overcome(seemingly).

Is RA too much to handle for a new allied player?
What if I request good torpedos or some other balancing factor?

PaxMondo -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/28/2012 6:46:07 PM)

Up to you and your opponent. 

My opinion is that RA gives you a more balanced (not historicallly balanced, but rather play balanced) game that will have higher chances of playing later ... say late '45.  Few stock games last past early '45.  I can only recall two PBEM with AAR that made it to '45.  That's a short list.

If CD's are causing you a serious concern, then you are not configuring your Amphib forces correctly.  All serious amphib assaults should always assume that there will be both mines and CD's and take appropriate actions against both.  The little CD units just mean you can't casually take any place for "free".

So the good news is that the allied player will actually get to use all of their late war 'toys' that they normally only dream of. 

godochaos -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/28/2012 11:03:05 PM)

Ok thx for the info, that sounds pretty encouraging.
But since RA clearly gives the Japanese player some help, is it reasonable to ask for a concession in return? like better torpedoes for the allies?

mike scholl 1 -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/29/2012 10:12:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: godochaos

Ok thx for the info, that sounds pretty encouraging.
But since RA clearly gives the Japanese player some help, is it reasonable to ask for a concession in return? like better torpedoes for the allies?

Of course it's "reasonable". You won't get it..., but it's reasonable. [8|]

Cavalry Corp -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 2:11:42 PM)

The allies also have plenty of CD guns a real pain for the Japs early on...

ny59giants -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 2:47:53 PM)

I've been helping John 3rd on RA on the side for some time. Just small things as he comes out with different ideas. I would PM John about when the next version is going to come out. He had some small adjustment to make, but I don't known when he expects them to be done.

Japan starts out a little bit better from the naval side at start as this mod is basically an improved IJN. They will have better staying power in the middle of the game and like others have stated, hopefully Japan can last long than historical. As an Allied player, I would love to be able to use CV Midway at some point. [:D] An Allied player has to be patient and in this mod you may have to be patient for a longer time. Like others have posted, you will need to master "The Art of Invasions" to ensure you don't get hurt too badly.

Establish good House Rules and go for it. Back in old WITP days, my first PBEM was a mod called "Iron Storm" which had some extra warships for both sides. Look at this mod as a way to have fun and learn.

John 3rd -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 2:58:14 PM)

Hey Guys.

RA has developed into--I think--a great Mod for either side. Just be prepared--as an Allied player--to really have to deal with a BUNCH of pain in the DEI when it starts. It is brutal. I have games going as Allies and Japanese and it is quite something to experience from the Allied side. The Allies do get some very nice toys to add to their Order-of-Battle and they can really wreak some havoc on the Japanese if used well.

As to a new version coming soon, this is a very good question. Life in the Cochran Household has been quite busy the last month or so and so things have been put on hold. I foresee this changing next week and finally getting some open time to move RA from 4.6 to 5.0. Will detail over in the Design Thread of RA.

Hope that helps. Have a BLAST playing!

Cavalry Corp -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 3:04:12 PM)

John,

Does PBG produce supply in your mod - there is no light Ind there but Dan thinks its producing supply - I thought that had been stopped??

John 3rd -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 3:10:36 PM)

PBG?

FatR and I used Da Babes as our template. Whatever is allowed for in Da Babes happens in RA.

Cavalry Corp -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 4:03:56 PM)

I see now refineries make a bit of supply -that makes PBG a nasty place if well defended. Which it is.

Dan Nichols -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 4:06:12 PM)

I know it is, I looked at the mod in the editor. Plus I have 100,000+ supply at Palembang.

Cavalry Corp -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 4:19:51 PM)

100k of supply? At least the units cannot rest to recover - unless you can chuck me out?

Cavalry Corp -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 4:21:48 PM)

BTW afew points is ok but 100k is beyond reason. That is quite unrealsitic. But that is the way it is.

John 3rd -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 5:07:45 PM)

OK. Now I understand the question. Unfortunately the above Posts are correct. I REALLY wish this could be more easily fixed, however, this what we have...

As a Japanese player, I RUSH to get to Palembang ASAP to prevent any form of decent defense for the very reasons cited above.

Cavalry Corp -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 5:28:47 PM)

So John, what is the solution in July 42 - its the last place left but has 100k supply and best part of two allied divs plus other bits and bobs.

I bomb it every day ( a lot) and I assume thet they cannot take preplacements or recover much fatigue or disruption as i have units in the hex???
Or should I just assualt until i wera him down but the first one killed 6000 Japs for 1000 allied 1-2 odd fort level 3 and i had a lot of engineers.

John 3rd -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 9:20:36 PM)

I know others are working on it. Certainly does pose all sorts of issues that I don't like at all. It is great to have all that supply to draw upon during the war but totally FALSE. The designers/Modders have got to come up with something that works. It is beyond my abilities...

John 3rd -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 9:21:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

So John, what is the solution in July 42 - its the last place left but has 100k supply and best part of two allied divs plus other bits and bobs.

I bomb it every day ( a lot) and I assume thet they cannot take preplacements or recover much fatigue or disruption as i have units in the hex???
Or should I just assualt until i wera him down but the first one killed 6000 Japs for 1000 allied 1-2 odd fort level 3 and i had a lot of engineers.

Just a thought. Doesn't resource/supply centers stop producing when enemy units enter the hex?

Chickenboy -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 9:24:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: godochaos
Is RA too much to handle for a new allied player?

My opinion is that there are better choices for a new player than the mods. I think the mods are designed for experienced players that savor the different spice that novel OOBs, AAA, ASW or other rule changes bring to the game. My recommendation is for new players to focus on the stock scenarios until they're very comfortable with gameplay mechanics.

Dan Nichols -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 9:52:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: cavalry

Just a thought. Doesn't resource/supply centers stop producing when enemy units enter the hex?

I think oil and resources stop producing, but all others continue. I will have to check tonight after work.

Falken -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 10:33:20 PM)

All I can say is that both Kitakami and I love DBB, but we really love RA. I have to admit, the Allies have a heck of a hard time at the beginning, but that's the fun part of it. Bad pilots, not many ships, A/C, LCUs, and very little supplies (lllloovvee it). It allows the IJN player to get a really good foothold in the first year.

However, as Kitakami would say, for the IJN, you get a lot of toys, but if you're not careful, you can easily cause yourself major problems w/your IJN economy if you don't plan well. Toys come at a price.

John 3rd -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (10/30/2012 11:05:37 PM)

Thanks for the comment guys. FatR and I (plus all the other helpers with RA) appreciate it.

Both sides DOOOOOOOOO love their toys!

The Mod is a--literal--blast and it is quite a ride to play.

Mac Linehan -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (11/5/2012 2:42:46 AM)

godochaos -

The RA mod is First Class; the Team is comprised of some very knowledgeable, experienced players. I am playing Babes 28C v11 (which shares many similarities) simply because of the time already invested modding to my preference. There are some excellent concepts that I have shamelessly borrowed from RA and added to my game. I encourage you to give it a go, my theory is that if you can learn and play RA / Babes - which are cutting edge state of the art IMHO, you can play any other version of AE. This is not to detract from any other mod or stock, just my take.

The Babes 28C v11 has supply production at refineries turned off (via the editor). So, all supply for Fortress Palembang must be shipped in - and that can make life exciting as the Allied Player.

And: John 3rd is very helpful with any questions or problems; but it is best to wait until after he has his morning coffe...

Mac

John 3rd -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (11/5/2012 4:03:08 AM)

AFTER my morning TEA you mean! [:D] Don't function very well without 2-3 cups of English Breakfast, Russian Caravan, Gunpowder, or some form of Darjeeling.

Thanks for the kind words. We have an excellent team for RA. The players have--literally--provided so many ideas and differing directions that we have slowly improved and added to the Mod over the last couple of years.

Cavalry Corp -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (11/7/2012 7:59:41 PM)

The other issue with RA 4.6 to consider ( and its a good issue ) as a new player is the econ seems insatiable. You need to be shipping fuel in right from the start ( if you can but I did not for too long) and you simply cannot find enough res. That is a struggle in itself - keeping the econ going.

godochaos -> RE: Reluctant Admiral- should a new pbem allied player take it on? (11/16/2012 12:55:24 AM)

Thanks for all the great info.

I got an opponent for scenario #2, game is going well and we have completed our 1st month. I have an AAR under Hammer of the Gods if you feel like helping a new Allied Player

I am intrigued by RA and will probably install it when I get enough experience and knowledge to play the Japanese. At this point I know I would mess up the Jap economy and the pilot training.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI