The Wargamer and curtis (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

wodin -> The Wargamer and curtis (11/1/2012 5:29:43 PM)

Just read an email that was very interesting indeed about Curtis resigning. Certainly doesn't surprise in any way. I can full empathise. Infact it validates alot of what I've said in the past and it seems like the wargamer is really under threat.

I hope Curtis finds another job. Being hounded out of a job is alot worse than vilified then banned from a forum. He has my sympathy. I'm sure the people responsible will do a superb job as always in painting out those they don't like as the bad guy and they are pure as snow. Seriously what happened to Curtis at the hands of some of the wargaming community is a disgrace, but one again I bet they walk away from it unscathed whilst a man had to quit his job. I know who they are, I know what they do and how they have people reporting back to them monitoring forums. It wasn't long ago I called into question certain things on this very forum and my concerns turned out to be true..conflicting loyalties I think i said only to be shouted down and made out to be some stirring metal case which funny enough isn't true, what was true was my concerns over certain things. The reason i knew is because I know what i was made out to be and what my motives where made out to be nothing at all based in reality. So I know what they are capable of, slander, manipulation etc. Sadly this is the kind of thing that happens.

All the best Curtis, I hope The wargamer can carry on and grow and grow.

I hope Curtis finds another job soon. The whole mess is terrible, just before Xmas aswell. Disgusting. Good luck chap!!

parusski -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/1/2012 11:48:49 PM)

I wish Curtis the best. I will probably visit Wargamer less than ever.

wodin -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 1:06:31 AM)

It's not the Wargamer thats at fault..it's the other site sadly. I've removed my likes on FB for it..and suggested it should be vetoed.

sterckxe -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 1:17:21 AM)

It would help if people would stop talking in riddles and post what happened .... or at least their take on it

wodin -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 4:22:33 PM)

People are to worried about come backs if names are named etc...I am for starters, as I know what can happen...there is a thread by me from a few months ago on here where I mentioned one of them..only for him to turn up, track my IP somehow from this site, report it to Wargamer to get my account in a different name banned. Yes I shouldn't have been there..well actually I should have still been on wargamer as it was the same group that manipulated and twisted a situation to get me baned in the first place.

Seriously they are clever, have clout and have enough contacts and lackies around to make your life very difficult. I' taking a risk writing this now and infact writing this post. Strange their presence hasn't shown up yet. Maybe they are keeping low after all this underhand stuff has blown up to show people exactly what they are like. Cos normally whenever people have pulled them they are pounced on and made out to be mentally unstable. This time though it's big news against a main wargame community member and serious enough to warrent him having to leave his job. Thats how good they are at doing what they do. I hope it's a step to far this time and their website dies as people realise what they are like and leave in droves.

Arctic Blast -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 4:55:45 PM)

I suppose I'm part of this 'shadowy cabal' working behind the scenes to control the war gaming scene with an iron fist, since clearly such a thing existing makes a ton of sense...

The other site is Grogheads. I went over there about a year ago after drifting away from The Wargamer. Does everyone over there like Curtis? No, not really. However, the idea that that imemdiately leads to mysterious forces uniting against someone to bring them down is ridiculous.

If the Grogheads crew had the power that Curtis seems to claim we do, why would Longblade have ever left the Wargamer? After all, that sort of collective pull could have gotten him every change he wanted, right? There would have been no reason to leave in the first place.

Here are your two possibilities, really :

1. Curtis was fired and decided to chuck a fire bomb on his way out the door. He completely ignored his own rules and decided to just divide an already small war gaming community even further.

2. There is a secret group with the ability to force Slitherine-Matrix to do their bidding.

Whichever seems more reasonable to you, go with it. The second comes with a free tin foil hat!

Also, I'd like to request that this shadow organization force Slitherine-Matrix to begin making a Steel Panthers sequel...

JudgeDredd -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 7:59:25 PM)

God - if ever a post was to reel people in!

Wodin - I don't like the insinuations you are making. I'm not bothered what you say about particular members (which you are careful not to do) as they can stick up from themselves. But rather than mention particular people you had a run in with, you decide to go with a "cover everyone" story.

I stuck up for you over at Wargamer - even AFTER you had tried duping people with a couple of identities and even AFTER you had a "snide" remark about me having eTorrent on my desktop (which was used solely to download A-10C - and is a valid torent link provided by DCS).

I never left here OR Wargamer to go to Grogheads - I went to Grogheads because I was told of a new site opening. I was invited by a person I knew at Wargamer and so I took a look and signed up. I post there probably more frequently than here or Wargamer but I DO still post here and at Wargamer.

I couldn't give a rats arse who's running what site or why what's going on is going on (whatever the hell that maybe) - but when you show up with posts like this, enticing people to respond only to come out with some forked tongue accusation that "you knew they would".

By enticing people to respond - I mean with comments like this
quote:

Seriously they are clever, have clout and have enough contacts and lackies around to make your life very difficult. I' taking a risk writing this now and infact writing this post. Strange their presence hasn't shown up yet. Maybe they are keeping low after all this underhand stuff has blown up to show people exactly what they are like. Cos normally whenever people have pulled them they are pounced on and made out to be mentally unstable. This time though it's big news against a main wargame community member and serious enough to warrent him having to leave his job. Thats how good they are at doing what they do. I hope it's a step to far this time and their website dies as people realise what they are like and leave in droves.

What exactly did you think was going to come of posting something like that? You are NOT being specific with names so accusing ALL members at Grogheads of being involved in this mess. And for the record your statement is all encompassing - and drags everyone into this whole crappy mess - a mess which, by the way, a considerable amount of people (both on wargamer AND Grogheads) want to stay out of - including me.

You're not even a member of either site and still you manage to get backs up with your bloody conspiracy theories.

Look - you may be right. There may well have been a conspiracy out to get you. It may have involved a handful of people at Wargamer - it might even have involved the President of the United bloody States - but it did not involve me or many other people over there (or Grogheads) - so quit being so disrespectful to people with your sweeping jibes.

As for Curtis (I didn't even know who that was!)...your stirring post was the only thing I knew about it...I guess I'm not in the big conspiracy loop you keep on about!

SLAAKMAN -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 8:28:45 PM)

Whats so secret about it? Starfury, Bayonetebrant & Jarhead, the censorship gestapo get me banned at both sites regularly. Ostensibly its a religion/politics forum but if you oppose the brainwashing as defined by their dogma youre booted. Very hypocritical. [8|]

toph -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 9:00:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

People are to worried about come backs if names are named etc...I am for starters, as I know what can happen...there is a thread by me from a few months ago on here where I mentioned one of them..only for him to turn up, track my IP somehow from this site, report it to Wargamer to get my account in a different name banned. Yes I shouldn't have been there..well actually I should have still been on wargamer as it was the same group that manipulated and twisted a situation to get me baned in the first place.

Do you write comedy professionally or just on internet forums?

Empire101 -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 9:04:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

I wish Curtis the best.

Hear hear!!

Curtis offered me an opportunity to write for the Wargamer, for which I am very grateful.

I hope he does'nt disappear off the scene, he was a very supportive and helpful editor.

Rtwfreak -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 9:31:55 PM)

Hey Wodin (now don't get mad buddy I'm just repeating something you wrote just recently sort of in jest) but didn't you just comment on how you wish "people would talk about Wargaming and wargames instead of all this "other stuff"? [:'(] Now you made this thread yourself so I was just wondering why the flipflop?

Yogi the Great -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 9:33:54 PM)

[image]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/um4fcd0dc8.jpg[/image]

[image]http://cdn.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/xmen-loldog-tinhat-out-of-my-head-charles2.jpg[/image] [sm=00000622.gif]

warspite1 -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 10:46:43 PM)

Everyone's doing it!

Warspite at home in Admiral Lord Nelson mode

[image]local://upfiles/28156/583D45709B0142C7BF993C631D888BDC.jpg[/image]

IainMcNeil -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 11:18:54 PM)

Ok this is getting out of hand. Let's keep it polite people.

toph -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/2/2012 11:58:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

Sadly, it did not begin politely. It began with some provocative, largely uninformed statements by the OP.

parusski -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 12:42:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

It's not the Wargamer thats at fault..it's the other site sadly. I've removed my likes on FB for it..and suggested it should be vetoed.

Badly worded on my part, but hell, I am visiting Matrixforums.com less.

GDS Starfury -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 6:10:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SLAAKMAN

Whats so secret about it? Starfury, Bayonetebrant & Jarhead, the censorship gestapo get me banned at both sites regularly. Ostensibly its a religion/politics forum but if you oppose the brainwashing as defined by their dogma youre booted. Very hypocritical. [8|]

butt hurt much? [:'(]

SLAAKMAN -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 7:08:19 AM)

quote:

GDS Starfury

Are you willing to make peace?

GDS Starfury -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 7:32:26 AM)

not at all.

SLAAKMAN -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 7:59:37 AM)

So you want escalation?

warspite1 -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 8:10:33 AM)

Boys - Why not direct all this testosterone where it is needed and go visit the Australian Beauties thread and vote for something REALLY important?

Josh -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 3:04:09 PM)

Warspite says it gents. More important things to do than bashing ---> head over to the Aussie babes thread, you know you want to.

wodin -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 3:14:35 PM)

Uninformed...no..personal experience I'm afraid to say...want me to post Curtis email? I would but maybe Curtis wouldn't want me too...you see whats in Curtis email rings so many bells with me it's uncanny..

RTWFreak..this is about the wargame community..one that makes me ashamed to be apart of at times...plus it is an issue that rubs old wounds. So couldn't help myself...sorry.

Oh I see some of the usual suspects turned up here and some I'm not sure I recognise but must be members of the other site aswell, last year I was bothered, really upset about people turning against me, but now I really don't care at all, don't know you, you don't know me, so no problem I have a healthy wargaming FB page and some close wargaming members here who I trust 100% and are worth a million of any of the other group...plus the block button is a godsend:) Also it's funny to see people post here who by the looks of their post count don't contribute to this site at all. Out of the woodwork comes to mind.

Slaak is controversial yes...but on this issue boy is he right.

Also the original post isn't what started this, it was provocative action started by a certain clique. Who are superb at turning tables..

Also did I not say that a person being a mod at Wargamer and at the other site a conflict of interests? Yes..was I right..Obviously..was I put down for saying it..yes.

Also up until me doing what I did at wargamer (because of being harassed on said forum) I had been on there for what eight years without 1 issue! Now if I was this mental unhinged person they like to make out I am surely that would have been obvious from the start, not eight years later. Can't you see how they portrayed me makes no sense going by that fact alone? Still no one wanted to listen to my side just like Curtis side wont be listened to by a certain section.

I'm sorry but Curtis has my full support. Your blind now if you still support this particular circle. You think everyone who experiences this is mental? Or wrong? Or unhinged? Don't you think the evidence is mounting against them?

One last thing I only quickly scanned some replies here as many aren't worth reading. When you know your right through personal experience, and know how things where twisted by this group (take for instance one member of said group calling me out on here publically for pirating a game and also contacting said developer, who I was busying working with at the time, that I had pirated his game. He did the usual thing this group does, took tiny bits from forums all out of context to suite his agenda. I asked the developer and showed him evidence this was untrue..he said he wasn't actually interested anyway in gossip. I have since shown him Curtis email to show what this group is like)you can't be swayed by their fanboys or the ill informed I'm afraid. That particular website that Curtis says begins with a G should be vetoed by all wargamers in my opinion. Whatever happened to me is nothing to a man being forced to resign because of underhand sly tactics used against him just before Xmas. I know how disgusting this is because I believe every word he has said because I experienced the exact same thing. One other thing they are great at is public humiliation and shouting down anyone who dare say anything against them or anything they don't wont to hear. Also I can't be sure here but I doubt the actual main man over at the other site was really aware of what is or was going on. I think he has been taken in by this group that split from wargamer as he knew them from the past. I just can't see him being involved. He needs to get rid of this particular circle and bring in some more honest decent wargamers. There are many of them. Here is another way to view my personality. I think those who I get on with wouldn't recognise the character portrayed of me by this circle or their group who just listen to their side of things.

OK signing off from this thread. I'm not coming back to read it either. I've stated my case clearly. I didn't want to bring up myself when really it's to do with Curtis but how can I not as it's that very experience that makes me believe Curtis every word. Blimey even a pretty major gamesite wargame reporter can believe what Curtis has said through his very own observations on what has gone one over at wargamer over the years. So you know, when people like that say it..you have to think dont you?

Funny enough it was around Halloween when I experienced their way of doing things..hmmm....

Anyway on to happier things, Xmas is around the corner!!

stormbringer3 -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 3:52:27 PM)

Having read this thread I'll plead ignorance and say I have no idea who Curtis is and the underlying issues. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has no idea what this is all about. Since there is such passion about this topic I'm curious to know the details.
Thanks.

JudgeDredd -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 6:05:39 PM)

wow. So you talk about this "other site" (Grogheads for anyone not in the know), it's "underhand" workings and a certain clique out to get people - and you start an inflammatory thread wishing the demise of a site which regardless of what you personally think (and they are just thoughts) many people enjoy.

Wodin - as I said to you about the post rating system introduced at The Wargamer - let it go. Wishing people ill is not dignified. I know you were being trolled with that rating system - but I told you back then - leave it - the people who know you and who read your posts would know different and not pay any attention to the ratings. But unfortunately you didn't listen and you went into meltdown. I don't know about other people banned here or at Grogheads or Wargamer - but perhaps it's their own doing sometimes? You know what you did yourself to get banned. I thought it was tough - even though I knew what you had done - but it was breaking the rules. Tough or not the forums rules were apparently broken and you were banned.

Yep - they could've dropped the rating system - but why? On the call of one forum member? Yep - perhaps they could've tracked the IPs of the people rating your particular posts? But all those resources on doing that when so many other things had to be done. You had (have?) a forum yourself I believe - so I guess you may well know at least part of what it entails. Though probably only the tip of the iceberg...so it's unrealistic to get moderators to go looking through posts and checking for repeated clickers of certain little rating tabs. You created several aliases on a website - I know why you did it - but the view was it was underhand. Regardless - the outcome of that was that your credibility had been lost and long with it - trust.

You need to drop it. I've read your posts around here and I read them at Wargamer. Your posts (as I said at The Wargamer) are informative and helpful - but there are some posts you create (this is one) that just do you a total disservice. By wishing Grogheads ill ( and as I said many people enjoy posting there), just because of a couple of individuals - how do you think that paints you in the wargaming community - wanting the demise of a website because of a few people? You're just coming off bitter.

Drop it. Move on. Post where you want to and leave others to enjoy where they like to post.

Do what you do best - create helpful, informative posts and stay away from the venomous vindictive posts.

Good health

Arctic Blast -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 9:34:12 PM)

Good grief. You and Curtis really are two peas in a pod, Wodin. You talk a big game about how you don't want to see the wargaming community divided, and then you put up antagonistic nonsense that serves no purpose except dividing the wargame community. Grogheads isn't running around tossing bombs here, Wodin. That was Curtis and now it's you. And I agree with you, it is pretty sad.

Do I post at Grogheads? Yes. Do I post at Wargamer and here? Not too much. Not because it's some absurd 'either/or' situation. But because I was spending all of my free time posting on forums and none of it actually playing games, so I cut back on all of the places (and there were way too many) where I was active. There is no conspiracy to try to end involvement at other sites. A lot of the people at Grogheads are also active community members here and at Wargamer and at Armchair General and so on. I don't know where this nonsense theory came about that people have to choose one site above the others, but it's infantile.

There was no vast conspiracy to bring down Curtis. Did some people dislike him? Yes. And based on responses elsewhere, that goes beyond just the community at Grogheads. Not liking someone != actively forming a group to destroy him. And how exactly would that work? Explain to me how a group of people with little to no actual affiliation with Slitherine-Matrix somehow convinced their management to toss him aside. Because that's what would have been required to make this happen. We aren't some powerful cabal of industry figures capable of making people dance like puppets. We're a community of gamers. That's it. If you choose to dream up some fairy tale beyond that, that's not my problem. But I'm not going to sit idly by while the good name of a site, it's community and myself as a member of that community is disparaged in the name of your bizarre fever dream.

The other reason this whole line of rhetoric bothers me so much is how it makes ALL of us look. This nonsense is being talked about on Boardgamegeek. It's being talked about on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Curtis' overheated letter has spread this beyond the wargaming community. And the result is that we come off like infantile children. That isn't good.

Zap -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 11:29:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stormbringer3

Having read this thread I'll plead ignorance and say I have no idea who Curtis is and the underlying issues. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has no idea what this is all about. Since there is such passion about this topic I'm curious to know the details.
Thanks.

I'm in this group. Judge Dredd, good advice for Wodin. Personally, I could not get so passionate about a game site.

parusski -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 11:33:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil

I love my wife and all the flowers she likes.

IainMcNeil -> RE: The Wargamer and curtis (11/3/2012 11:36:02 PM)

I'm locking this as its just unproductive and unpleasant. No problems discussing things but no provocation and no personal attacks. Wodin please stop trying to create an argument.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI