Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Last Stand Arnhem >> Tech Support

arnhem1944 -> Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/10/2012 5:17:27 PM)

I uppgraded my computer from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 8 64 bit.
But now i cant play my Close Combat games. I get an error message
that my graphic card dosent support 16 bit graphics.
I did never get this error message on the same hardware and
Windows 7 64 Bit.

What have changed in Windows 8?????

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game but nothing helps.

Kin Regards

Tejszd -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/10/2012 6:18:32 PM)

Have you installed DirectX 9?

arnhem1944 -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/11/2012 3:43:59 PM)

Windows 8 64 dosent support 16 bit graphic. Windows 8 32 bit does support 16 bit graphic.
After searching for answers on the net.

arnhem1944 -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/14/2012 6:17:28 PM)

Also get an error after install that some WOW dll files is missing on computer.
What is this.
Is it impossible to play this game on windows 8 64 bit???????

arnhem1944 -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/16/2012 6:22:46 PM)

Please help if you have any information about running the Close Combat series on Windows 8 64 bit.

VPaulus -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/18/2012 2:05:32 AM)

In Windows 8 32bit, I was only able to run it when I've checked the Window mode in LSA settings. Otherwise I would have a corrupted image.
Maybe if forcing LSA to run in Window mode could solve the issue. I have looked for a ini file with the graphic settings but I wasn't able to find. I even have look in the registry, but no success.

arnhem1944 -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/18/2012 9:15:42 AM)

This is sad. Seems to be the end of playing the Close Combat series for me.
If there is no update that fixes the problems.

I really hope it is possible to fix this in the future.

How about Panthers in the fog will it run on windows 8 ???????????

VPaulus -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/18/2012 4:43:22 PM)

I was able to force Window mode in LSA.
Try this:
1. Locate CCS.Exe in LSA main folder and select Properties and select next the Compatibility tab
2. Check the option like in this image and press Apply/OK:

[image]http://i.imgur.com/Jdxl9.jpg[/image]

3. Download and unzip the file attached
4. Execute CC_LSA_WindowMode_x86.reg (just for Windows 8 32bits)
5. Press yes to the two questions
6. Run LSA

I've forced the window mode in 1024x768 and disabled the videos.
If it works then you can change the resolution in the Game video options.
I've tested this in Windows 8 x86.

Edit 17/04/2013: Actually there's a easier way. Just press "Ctrl" key at the same time you click "Play Close Combat" in the game launcher. This will open the Close Combat options menu. Click on the General tab and tick "Windowed". Press OK.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Bum78cv.jpg[/IMG]

VPaulus -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/19/2012 4:06:06 AM)

Sorry but for Windows 8 x64 you'll have to use this one instead.
Follow the same instructions only use this file. I've checked it in a Windows 8 x64.

arnhem1944 -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/19/2012 8:09:54 PM)

After some hard and dirty work I manage to make the complete collection of CC games to work
On my Windows 8 64bit including the new Panthers in the fog.

VPaulus -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/19/2012 8:26:20 PM)

Can you share with us? [:)]

Kilovski -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (1/13/2013 6:04:45 PM)

Are there any Developments with this, this should be a major issue for you Matrix, if people can't play your games, they'll stop buying them, a game that does not work on a major operating system is a big no no[:@]

VPaulus -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (1/20/2013 4:35:46 PM)

From what I understood from your helpdesk support ticket, is that your issue is related with the 1024x768 window size, right?

To redefine the window size, you just have to click on "Options" in the game main menu, next click on the "General" tab and finally select the size of the window in the "Screen Resolution" option. Exit the game and restart it.

[image]http://i.imgur.com/uuPo5D4.jpg[/image]

Kilovski -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (1/20/2013 9:27:10 PM)

Thanks for that VPaulus, works just like you said. Thanks[:D]

iandes -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/1/2013 2:27:08 PM)

Hi,
I might be late but. I also have a problem with the older games of the close combat series. I can run the game with the compatibility but the colors are all wrong, I did some changes in the options of LSA and the longest day (because I selected windowed mode I think) and now the game just crashes when I try to launch it. I use windows 8.1 btw.
Many thanks!

EDIT: Fixed using the Program Compatibility Wizard (can't post the link sorry)

bexx76 -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (11/10/2013 7:56:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Sorry but for Windows 8 x64 you'll have to use this one instead.
Follow the same instructions only use this file. I've checked it in a Windows 8 x64.

thx paulus, now the game works fine, but i have the same problem with TLD, have u 1 file that fix the problem for TLD too?

thx :)

Skolob -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (6/2/2014 7:52:16 PM)

I'm having a rather interesting issue with the main menu. Having just got back into playing LSA again (prior to this I was on Win 7).
I'm running it on Win 8.1 64 Bit with a desktop at 1680 x 1050. The compatibility settings are as suggested above and I have also tried reduced colour mode of 16 bit. I get the following interesting main menu:

[image]local://upfiles/48842/7C88AC73ADEA463C84C1F7C1FC86C36E.jpg[/image]

So far I've pretty much run out of configuration options to apply

SteveMcClaire -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (6/5/2014 5:47:48 PM)

Skolob,

Win8 has some issues with 16-bit color mode for full screen DirectX. If you change to windowed mode it should work fine.

Hold down the CTRL key while you start the game. This should give you the game options dialog box. Under the 'General' options, check the 'Windowed' checkbox, then hit Ok, exit the game, and restart.

Steve

Acehole -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (10/9/2014 10:59:21 PM)

Hello, i have the same problem than Skolob with "last stand Arhem" (fresh install on a new computer with windows 68.1 64 bits) and the same "funky" boot screen , but , even if it is work in windowed mode , i don't like that ! there is definitely no solutions to play "full screen" ???? As i have the entire collection of "Close Combat" ( originals and Matrix) is there others episodes of the serie who have the same problem ??? .Thanks in advance for help ...

SteveMcClaire -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (10/11/2014 3:17:35 PM)

Yes, most of the older version of Close Combat will have the same problem on Windows 8. Windows 8 does not fully support DirectX full screen mode with 16-bit color. The most reliable work around at present is to play in Windowed mode.

Our latest releases (Panthers in the Fog, Gateway to Caen) use 32-bit color modes and should be fine on Windows 8 in full screen mode.

Steve

Acehole -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (10/12/2014 6:56:20 PM)

Thanks for answer , i re-install for trial all the series of CC and post the result soon ...

WoT -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (10/12/2014 10:09:23 PM)

I think windowed mode is one of the best improvements to this game..

Tejszd -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (10/13/2014 12:43:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

Yes, most of the older version of Close Combat will have the same problem on Windows 8. Windows 8 does not fully support DirectX full screen mode with 16-bit color. The most reliable work around at present is to play in Windowed mode.

Our latest releases (Panthers in the Fog, Gateway to Caen) use 32-bit color modes and should be fine on Windows 8 in full screen mode.

Steve

Does Matrix have any plan to update the Matrix "older" Close Combat releases that are still being sold to run full screen in Windows 8.x???

SteveMcClaire -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (10/13/2014 11:59:28 PM)

Current information on the Windows 8 issue is that this would require converting the old games to 32-bit color. There are no plans for that at the present time, but the issue has been discussed.

Steve

pvthudson01 -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (12/25/2014 12:20:21 AM)

I was able to get it to work with the REG patch (win 8 64 bit here) and then in game I set it to my desktop resolution and full screen, exited out and restarted. Also you can RIGHT CLICK the EXE and have win 8 fix the compatibility but it will look funky until you apply that REG patch

Acehole -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 ? yes we can !!!! (8/7/2015 6:37:43 PM)

Finally,i find an easy way to play "road to Arnhem " full screen (work also for "the longest day " and "watch am rein") on windows 8/8.1/10 !!!! first , put the game in windowed mode , and before to launch , hide the task bar (yes) and voila ! you play CC in full screen (but windowed) . I find that by chance but it work for me on the three last Windows , no explanation for that but it work !!!! enjoy it ,as me ,to play without distracting windows bar . By the way , i use an utility name "Taskbar control" with an hotkey before to launch the game .....

Raindog101 -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (9/5/2015 5:15:12 AM)

I think if Matrix is going to keep selling these games they probably should be patched to work with win8 or 10.

Tejszd -> RE: Cant play LSA on Windows 8 (9/5/2015 3:52:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Old Eagle101

I think if Matrix is going to keep selling these games they probably should be patched to work with win8 or 10.

I agree 100% with your comment.

While I like that windowed mode was added, it is nice when trying to do multiple things at the same time, but there is a down side to it; the 800x600 hard coded menu screens can no longer be automatically doubled in size to 1600x1200 which makes them less readable.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI