RE: That time of the year again - Books Needed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Uncivil Engineer -> RE: That time of the year again - Books Needed (11/19/2012 9:01:55 PM)

Not related to the war in the Pacific, but one I recently read and found exceptionally interesting - The Sword of St. Michael, The 82nd Airborne Division in World War II.

Itdepends -> RE: That time of the year again - Books Needed (11/21/2012 11:18:27 AM)

Also not related to WITP- Self published author Anthony Ryan- Ravens Shadow book 1 Blood Song. Very good fantasy, debut novel but the quality of the characters and writing is up there with Brandon Sanderson.

Wirraway_Ace -> RE: That time of the year again - Books Needed (11/21/2012 4:58:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hotschi

Clay Blair Jr., Silent Victory - about the U.S. submarine campaign...

I may get this book for Christmas. I got 300 pages in before returning it to the library and found it deep, entertaining and informative.

+1 Excellent. On the other hand, I do not like his two-volume Hitler's U-boat War.

To add color to Blair's operational history, try reading in order:
Pigboat 39 - Guigloitta [pre-war and early war in an S-boat with color about life in the USN during the era]
Wahoo - O'Kane [mid-war in a fleet boat]
Clear the Bridge! - O'Kane [mid to late war in a fleet boat]
Then maybe:
Iron Coffins - Werner [a German perspective on the War in the Atlantic including some color on life in the Reich]
Unbroken - Mars [subs in the Med, a British perspective]

Sardaukar -> RE: That time of the year again - Books Needed (11/21/2012 10:13:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: icepharmy

H. P. Willmott's three volume history
Empires in the Balance: Japanese and Allied Pacific Strategies to April 1942
Barrier and the Javelin: Japanese and Allied Strategies, February to June 1942
The War with Japan: The Period of Balance, May 1942-October 1943

Dammit, I am missing last of Willmott's. He is brilliant strategic analyst and historian.

John 3rd -> RE: That time of the year again - Books Needed (11/24/2012 3:28:43 AM)

I just ordered KE Operation. Truly hope it is better then Islands of Destiny!

warspite1 -> RE: That time of the year again - Books Needed (11/24/2012 10:07:40 AM)

Bought this the other day and am up to Chapter 4. A very good book so far. Very interesting to read the real story of Churchill and Gallipoli at last! Incredible how the story gets distorted over the years until ultimately a particular version of the truth becomes "actual fact" - and in reality proves to be someway short of being so....

[image]local://upfiles/28156/EA044FD13F654F61932F4D0B95E7DCFB.jpg[/image]

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI