Intermediate vs Basic? WWI vs WWII? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War

Veldor -> Intermediate vs Basic? WWI vs WWII? (11/25/2012 11:39:23 PM)

I'm sure this may have been answered elsewhere, but I am unable to locate.

Why is this game labeled as "Intermediate" while the WWII version is labeled "Basic"?

I've assumed the two games are basically from the same series/engine?

Given I'm more of a WWII nut (And that game also happens to be on sale), am I better off starting with that one.... Or is this one just that much better that I'm best with it?

While I'm not necessarily in the market for anymore ultra-complex games, I do get a little bit leary of "Basic" as even the latest Close Combat is labeled as "Intermediate".

Any advice or suggestions here?

Grim.Reaper -> RE: Intermediate vs Basic? WWI vs WWII? (11/25/2012 11:59:52 PM)

Related discussion

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3212545

Veldor -> RE: Intermediate vs Basic? WWI vs WWII? (11/26/2012 12:21:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

Related discussion

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3212545

Sort of. That discussion implies the Great War was also rated at "Beginner"..but at least currently it no longer is... hence my question as to the true differences in complexity between the two titles and which one would be best for me to purchase...

hadberz -> RE: Intermediate vs Basic? WWI vs WWII? (11/26/2012 2:51:02 AM)

The first one should be Intermediate too IMO. The only thing I can think of is it's easy to learn the game controls. The strategy is definitely not basic or beginner.

Lord Zimoa -> RE: Intermediate vs Basic? WWI vs WWII? (11/26/2012 9:44:10 AM)

quote:

They are both within the same series, but not the same engine, or an evolution of a previous one, it is a new engine, new code written in another language even. It supports higher resolution, wide-screens animated effects, lua scripting.... the list is endless. Technically what is under the hood are two complete different games. The AI in CTGW is indeed more challenging than in previous versions, again as it completely new.

Veldor -> RE: Intermediate vs Basic? WWI vs WWII? (11/26/2012 11:16:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lord Zimoa

quote:

They are both within the same series, but not the same engine, or an evolution of a previous one, it is a new engine, new code written in another language even. It supports higher resolution, wide-screens animated effects, lua scripting.... the list is endless. Technically what is under the hood are two complete different games. The AI in CTGW is indeed more challenging than in previous versions, again as it completely new.

Well that's really the worst possible answer for me... That means I'll have to pick up the WWII Gold version...but then this game as well since so much has improved...and then the NEW WWII version that will inevitably use this games much improved engine.... Oh well. [sm=sign0031.gif]

I haven't actually played a WWI game since Guns of August (The Board Game, that is) in 1990-1991 or thereabouts. I did really dig it. I always found the minor powers in WWI more fascinating than in WWII...Or at least thats what I'm remembering from 20+ years ago.. I'll probably learn something I don't know. WWI is the forgotten war in games outside of the Weird War style....

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI