RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 2:36:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I gave up on all forms of automated record keeping. I gave it an honest try. I hated it.

In this case it's not really record keeping. It's a dictionary. The tab keeps track of losses for both sides, but on Turn 1 you know exactly how many of each ship type you'll get until 1946. To see the other side just make a second Tracker install and load a new scenario playing them. Save the shortcut and you're done, for years.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 2:42:46 PM)

I only have dim, nightmarish memories of having to load things in weird ways, saying incantations, having to re-load every turn, having to massage things in weird ways or they wouldn't work, having them not work even when they were properly massaged, and giving up after generating about three reports.

I ain't going back there. I'd rather go back to being a lawyer. I have nightmares, sometimes (seriously) about being a lawyer.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 2:46:56 PM)

So how long did you spend in the editor? [8D]

Encircled -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 2:52:07 PM)

I can't imagine playing without tracker

I can't imagine playing without a spreadsheet tracking enemy units

I can't imagine playing without my sub kill spreadsheet

I may have issues!

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 2:57:11 PM)

"Issues?"

Nah, we're all crazy here.....

ny59giants -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 2:59:00 PM)

Next time I'm in Chattanooga, I will have to sneak across the border for an intervention at Dan's. I've done them long distance with John, so this shouldn't be as bad. Or maybe it will be! [:D]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 3:07:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

So how long did you spend in the editor? [8D]

I didn't open the editor. I just opened the game, went to the ships screen, and counted by 15s (or sometimes 17s). It took five minutes (look at the length of time that transpired between my two posts).

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 3:39:56 PM)

Looking again at Japanese carriers (thanks to your kind promptings, gents, as per your questions), here's the IJN carrier status, as best I know:

1. CV: John gets a total of 17 in this mod; four have been sunk.
2. CVL: A total of 10 (three conversions); five have been sunk.
3. CVE: A total of 12; eight have been sunk.

I doubt John has all carriers on map at this point - some aren't schedule for more than a year - but if he did, he'd have a force of 22 carriers, 13 of which would be fleet.

I'm guesstimating (I could do this more precisely) that he can carry a total of about 1250 aircraft.

I haven't revealed Death Star's composition, but it will have an advantage against KB even if every carrier is on map.

Pure luck is a factor that can even the odds. Two other things that I try to allow for: (1) a combined KB and LBA strike; (2) John stripping his carriers of strike aircraft, loading them with fighters, and then drawing a big raid that gets chewed to pieces.

With regard to LBA, I'm trying to stay far enough from his biggest fields to lower the risk. The building of big Allied airfields also reduces the risk, partly because I can draw LRCAP and partly because those fields create "clutter," confusing the game engine a bit so that it's hard for John to reliability get strike packages to fly beyond my airfields.

With regard to him loading up his carriers with fighters: he did that very thing in the Makassar Strait a few weeks back and he did it in our previous game. This is one of the big Rock. Paper. Scissors. aspect of the game that I've referred to in vague fashion for weeks. I won't say any more than that I'm aware of this threat and employing some countermeasures.

bradfordkay -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 4:00:08 PM)

It seems to me that if his carriers have no bombers then they are vulnerable to attacks from both submarines and SCTFs.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 4:01:09 PM)

Rock. Paper. Scissors.

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 5:26:35 PM)

quote:

Rock. Paper. Scissors.

Played between two Durgas.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 5:28:24 PM)

I'm not familiar with that term, so I'm not sure what you mean. [:)]

MakeeLearn -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 5:31:43 PM)

quote:

I'm not familiar with that term, so I'm not sure what you mean. [:)]

Durga is a fierce warrior goddess. She is depicted in Hindu art as riding on a lion or a tiger. She has many arms and is always brandishing a variety of weapons

[image]local://upfiles/55056/C35017B2E2404D02A11970E00F765D6B.jpg[/image]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 6:02:32 PM)

Oh, thanks! Sorta like a whirling dervish vs. a tasmanian devil.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 6:17:29 PM)

Creating this prompted a laugh.

[image]local://upfiles/8143/3FFE7DADF8724A0AB2C5537905C4C85C.jpg[/image]

DW -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 6:17:33 PM)

It seem to me that the time for a carrier cap trap to cause you any serious problems in this operation has come and gone. You've too many bases with too many fighters and too much supply nearby for him to be able to capitalize on such a battle, even if he managed to successfully pull one off. He'd kill a lot of fighters, but he'd have real difficulty in translating that sort of victory into dead carriers, with you having so many bases nearby.

The only reason that he gave you a fright with his cap trap in your last game (assuming that you're referring to the time he gutted your carrier air up around the Kuriles) is that his fleet was interposed between both your line of retreat and the only base where you could rebuild your air groups.

It's hard to see how that could happen in the Philippines unless you got a lot more careless than you've a history of being.

On a broader note, I'd be really surprised if John decided to fight a pitched battle between KB and DS. He seems very reluctant to engage in a carrier fight unless he feels he has overwhelming numbers.

While I don't follow all of John's AARs, in the one's I have followed I can't think of a single instance where he willfully entered such a fight without a significant advantage.

Right now, he can't even reach parity and he knows it.

I'm putting my chips on him keeping KB somewhere on the periphery of your Philippine lodgement looking for an opportunity to Hulk smash one or more of your supply convoys so he can get one of those "BANZAI" combat reports with dozens of allied ships burning and sinking. I think he'll keep holding KB back, even while he loses important territory, in the hope that such an opportunity will present itself.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 6:43:32 PM)

Intelligence indicates he is moving many troops to Formosa. If so it would be a shame if the big blue fleet made a thunder run north to see what shipping is about. Worst thing that could happen is an accidental run in with the KB. Seems to be a enough CAP on land to leave for a few days. The big blue fleet could move pretty quickly. just sayin.............

paullus99 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 6:49:24 PM)

Oh, that's just evil.....[:D]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 6:55:16 PM)

Thunder Runs aren't in the cards. The order of the day is defense, both to handle a possible carrier clash and to provide the strongest possible security to the Army until the Philippines conquests are self-sufficient.

There were no Thunder Runs in Big Tent. As a result, Death Star was able to remain on station for four months, ensuring the land-phase was successful...but also resulting in some big naval victories.

Fun House is configured the same exact way. Durability is more important than dash and aplomb.

Lecivius -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 6:57:29 PM)

quote:

Here's an apt analogy.

In the 1990s, my law firm (it wasn't mine, but I worked there) transitioned to an automated telephone system. It kept track of the length of our telephone conversation by client and by matter. So, if I dialed the State Department of Labor and spoke to John Doe for 15 minutes about my client, Big Lizard Company, about it's application for an exemption for Gorns, the telephone system would record those 15 minutes under Client Big Lizard Company, Matter Gorn Exemption. Then my time and the expense of the long distance call was automatically billed to my client.

To make that work, at the beginning of the call I had to enter the client number, the matter number, probably my grandmother's birth date and weight, and then the area code and telephone number.

We met with the telephone technician for a training session as we converted over to their system. After ten minutes, my partner, Jimmy Dick Maddox (who served on the USS Paddle during WWII) said: "You mean I have to push 25 buttons to make a phone call?"

That's all he said.

Technology.

[:D]

Old, old, technology (I'm dating both of us, I worked on those [;)] ). That was called Forced Account Code Entry. Now it takes dialing 2-3 digits to make the call, log the type & time, and even add the time to a bill. Heck, if you have a decent admin, you can do it with the push of a button.

You don't wanna be a lawyer. I want out of telecom. I have nightmares, too [sm=Christo_pull_hair.gif]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 7:01:55 PM)

Just for the record, I agree with DW on all points in his post (although I have to allow for an attack by KB at any moment). Sometimes I think: John has KB posted to protect Marcus. He thinks I'm sending an invasion force that would be a safer bet to handle.

quote:

ORIGINAL: DW

It seem to me that the time for a carrier cap trap to cause you any serious problems in this operation has come and gone. You've too many bases with too many fighters and too much supply nearby for him to be able to capitalize on such a battle, even if he managed to successfully pull one off. He'd kill a lot of fighters, but he'd have real difficulty in translating that sort of victory into dead carriers, with you having so many bases nearby.

The only reason that he gave you a fright with his cap trap in your last game (assuming that you're referring to the time he gutted your carrier air up around the Kuriles) is that his fleet was interposed between both your line of retreat and the only base where you could rebuild your air groups.

It's hard to see how that could happen in the Philippines unless you got a lot more careless than you've a history of being.

On a broader note, I'd be really surprised if John decided to fight a pitched battle between KB and DS. He seems very reluctant to engage in a carrier fight unless he feels he has overwhelming numbers.

While I don't follow all of John's AARs, in the one's I have followed I can't think of a single instance where he willfully entered such a fight without a significant advantage.

Right now, he can't even reach parity and he knows it.

I'm putting my chips on him keeping KB somewhere on the periphery of your Philippine lodgement looking for an opportunity to Hulk smash one or more of your supply convoys so he can get one of those "BANZAI" combat reports with dozens of allied ships burning and sinking. I think he'll keep holding KB back, even while he loses important territory, in the hope that such an opportunity will present itself.

JohnDillworth -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 7:16:47 PM)

quote:

Thunder Runs aren't in the cards. The order of the day is defense, both to handle a possible carrier clash and to provide the strongest possible security to the Army until the Philippines conquests are self-sufficient.

There were no Thunder Runs in Big Tent. As a result, Death Star was able to remain on station for four months, ensuring the land-phase was successful...but also resulting in some big naval victories.

Fun House is configured the same exact way. Durability is more important than dash and aplomb.

I know, I know... but you must admit it would be the last thing anyone would expect from you

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 7:46:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

You don't wanna be a lawyer. I want out of telecom. I have nightmares, too [sm=Christo_pull_hair.gif]

What?!! Why? Is there another job where you can read the game forum all day? [:D]

HansBolter -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 8:16:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

What?!! Why? Is there another job where you can read the game forum all day? [:D]

That would be architect! [:D]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 9:00:50 PM)

I'm not really conservative, though, am I? I think of Sumatra, Big Tent, and Fun House as pretty risky play. And I commit my ships in risky enterprises - the carrier battle is one example, but the Battles of Assam are better examples (in those, my combat TFs were obviously outgunned, but I chose to stand and fight).

But there is a fairly common thread to many of these ops. I like to take the high ground and force the enemy to attack me. [:)]

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

I know, I know... but you must admit it would be the last thing anyone would expect from you

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 9:15:15 PM)

Seems like you are not dashing off because you have your priorities right. It may not be spectacular play for the peanut gallery but it sure frustrates John and gets your plans accomplished! Stay the course! [sm=Tank-fahr09.gif]

Dirtnap86 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 9:23:26 PM)

quote:

quote:

Or Security supervisor, my job is nothing but boring bits (the perks of working a corporate gig I guess).

pws1225 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 9:41:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirtnap86

quote:

quote:

Or Security supervisor, my job is nothing but boring bits (the perks of working a corporate gig I guess).

I'm retired. It is the first job I have held for which I actually feel qualified.

Bif1961 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 10:22:30 PM)

Are those totals those available to the currently playing date or until September, 1945?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/23/2017 10:24:03 PM)

Ship totals listed were through the end of the game.

Page: <<   < prev  292 293 [294] 295 296   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI