RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

richlove -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/22/2012 1:38:58 AM)

Could the scenario start w/ the Japanese having 20 strat points?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/22/2012 5:42:48 PM)

1/4/42 to 1/6/42

I do recall now that the Pearl strike hit the shipyard, so that must explain the 20 strat points.  Thanks for helping me there.

NoPac:  The four American carriers are well north of Pearl.  I am setting up two small combat TFs to raid the Aluetians and perhaps the Kuriles.  The carriers could offer support if something juicy turned up.  Engineers and a CD unit are loading at Seattle for transport to Kodiak.  I might keep my carriers in the area long enough to support (if necessary) an effort to establish my forward base at Kodiak.

CenPac:  Midway has been reinforced by a second Marine CD unit, basically doubling the AV.

SoPac:  Quiet at the moment.  John is busy working the New Britain and vicinity region.

DEI:  Half the Japanese navy is near Cocos, including the DEI KB, who has launched big strikes against the island the last two days.  Bettys in big numbers also visit.  I assume John is putting together a big invasion force.  He knows what I have at Cocos, so he'll have to bring alot.  The Japanese "opening rogue wave" came in this direction - the extent of the wave caught me by surprise, costing that UK brigade and a bunch of small Dutch ships.  One more day and that brigade would've been ashore at Cocos - just one of those things.  I'm fortunate to have good garrisons at Cocos, Diego and Port Blair, which should slow John.  Cocos, in particular, is acting as bait - John is expending a huge amount of assets and time here.  I think that could prove to be valuable to the Allies in and of itself. 

Crackaces -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/23/2012 5:43:37 PM)

quote:

Midway has been reinforced by a second Marine CD unit, basically doubling the AV.

I like this not so much from an AV standpoint, but the Arty that can devastate xAP's and xAK's ... sinking xAKL's ... should not enough surface action platforms arrive to supress the coastal fire .. plus this fire happends every phase the landing is taking place .. penalizing any lack of coordination ..Just a thought ...

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/24/2012 2:22:12 PM)

1/7/42

D-Day Cocos Island:  IJA 4th Division coms ashore at Cocos Island.  Another BB TF bombardment and more air strikes preceded the landings.  The Japanese lost something like 15 combat squads coming ashore, but overall the enemy BBs suppressed the organic and Oz CD unit guns.  The following shock attack came off at 1:3 with both sides having sharply reduced AVs.  That Japan's was lower came as no surprise, but the Allied AV was adjusted down to something like 60.  The attack did considerably more damage to the Allied army, but did not touch the two forts.  The Allied AV post attack is down to about 80.  I hope the Japanese are in very bad shape or else the base will fall.  I need the Cocos garrison to hold out for awhile.  A long awhile.

Pacific:  Things have quieted down considerably.  I used precious PPs to buy 2nd Marine RCT, which goes to Kodiak Island.  I am spending some precious capital to (hopefully) stabilize the area.

Oz:  I also used precious PPs to buy 27th/A Div. at Los Angles. This unit boards QE and makes for Melbourne post haste.  If things go sour at Cocos, I'm going to have to make quick and hard decisions about whether to reinforce Oz or India. 

DEI:  Japan hasn't moved close to Singapore yet.  Western Sumatra and most of Java are still in Allied hands.  But, overall, the IJ tsunami in the DEI overwhelmed the Allied positions.  I'm glad to have 300 AV at Port Blair, 250 at Diego, plus soon I'll have about 30 AV and a CD unit at Addu Atoll.  But pushing those defenses forward leaves India rather weak.

China:  MLR looks good at the moment.

Allied Carriers:  Once the Allies have addressed the Aluetians, which won't take long, the carriers will move south to be in a position to help with Oz or India.  They'll be posted in or near NoPac for another week or so.  They can also respond to Midway should a need and opportunity present itself.

crsutton -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/24/2012 4:39:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

1/4/42 to 1/6/42

I do recall now that the Pearl strike hit the shipyard, so that must explain the 20 strat points.  Thanks for helping me there.

NoPac:  The four American carriers are well north of Pearl.  I am setting up two small combat TFs to raid the Aluetians and perhaps the Kuriles.  The carriers could offer support if something juicy turned up.  Engineers and a CD unit are loading at Seattle for transport to Kodiak.  I might keep my carriers in the area long enough to support (if necessary) an effort to establish my forward base at Kodiak.

CenPac:  Midway has been reinforced by a second Marine CD unit, basically doubling the AV.

SoPac:  Quiet at the moment.  John is busy working the New Britain and vicinity region.

DEI:  Half the Japanese navy is near Cocos, including the DEI KB, who has launched big strikes against the island the last two days.  Bettys in big numbers also visit.  I assume John is putting together a big invasion force.  He knows what I have at Cocos, so he'll have to bring alot.  The Japanese "opening rogue wave" came in this direction - the extent of the wave caught me by surprise, costing that UK brigade and a bunch of small Dutch ships.  One more day and that brigade would've been ashore at Cocos - just one of those things.  I'm fortunate to have good garrisons at Cocos, Diego and Port Blair, which should slow John.  Cocos, in particular, is acting as bait - John is expending a huge amount of assets and time here.  I think that could prove to be valuable to the Allies in and of itself. 

In the beginning year of my ongoing campaign, I was reluctant to lose any brigade size unit and in over 1,000 turns with Viberpol have not lost a single large infantry unit since the big surrenders in the first few months of our little war. But that was way back before you could purchase back destroyed units so I was more careful. The trade off was my sacrifice of territory and time. Now, if playing the Allies I would think nothing of sacrificing good brigades or regiments (or a division if it merits) to cause delay to Japan in 1942 or early 43.

The best units to sacrifice are American infantry regiments-especially any one due to withdraw at a latter date. Commonwealth units are much harder to rebuild so I would be a bit more careful with them.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/25/2012 7:54:52 PM)

1/8/42 and 1/9/42

DEI: Cocos Island falls to 4th IJA Div. on a shock attack following an elaborate series of bombardments and air raids. Ouch! This is bad news since Cocos is one of my "breakwaters" intended to slow Japan down. I'm wondering if John will continue to leap forward or if he'll spend some time now consolidating his positions. That's an important question. Meanwhile, badly damaged CL Marblehead is stuck in no-man's-land with no means of egress to a safe haven - I've sent her north from Soerabaja towards Manado with desperate hopes she might find a seam across the coast of New Guinea.

NoPac: An IJN carrier force turned up well to the northeast (true) of Midway - the position and appearance of the Mini KB that was there a week ago. I'm unsure whether it's covering Midway, moving north to the Aluetians, and whether it might have taken on reinforcements from the Pearl KB, which ten days ago was down around Luganville. My four carriers, though, are in position to try for an intercept if the CV force is heading for the Aluetians. There are lots of unknowns here, but I do have combat ships all around my carriers, hopefully serving as effective tripwires. A series of transport TFs are inbound to Kodiak from Seattle carrying reinforcements and supplies.

India: The Subcontinent looks and worries.

China: The MLR continues to look good.

Cribtop -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/25/2012 9:12:42 PM)

The next move after Cocos is probably a great indicator of John's "big plan." He's moving fast, but with him that's no surprise.

JeffroK -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/25/2012 10:59:30 PM)

I'm not surprised Cocos fell quickly.

The Allies are very fragile in this period unless in a strong position with lots of support.

princep01 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/26/2012 2:06:02 AM)

Too bad about Cocos Is. and the Bde that did not make it there.  That is painful, but things like that will happen with a skilled and aggressive IJ player.

Hopefully, you can repay the insult by sinking some CV/CVL/CVEs very soon in the wide expanses of the N. Pacific.

Engage the enemy more closely.  Good luck.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/26/2012 7:43:17 PM)

1/10/42

Cocos Aftermath:  Yeah, the garrison troops weren't elite.  The backbone - a UK brigade from 18th Div. - was just 40 experience.  I think I may end up being very glad that RA Mod doesn't give Japan the extra divisions of Scenario Two.

NoPac:  The Allied carriers moved WNW "blind."  I don't know what's out there, though my strongest guess is no more than the NoPac Mini KB that began the war crusing the Aleutians and then moved to Midway.  I don't like moving so blind, but feel that the odds are stacked in my favor.  (I need to add that I'm not even sure the Mini KB is up this far; it's just a possibility.) 

CenPac: QE is moving fast, due east of Pearl Harbor at the moment.

SWPac:  SigInt that an IJ Assault Division is on a maru bound for Carnavon.  Force Z and an American cruiser TF are patrolling those waters.  I know the DEI KB is up near Dem Passar, so I feel relatively comfortable.

DEI/PI:  John has some work to do to clean up this region.  A shock attack at Clark Field two days ago bloodied his army badly (John makes extravagant use of shock attacks - occasionally with good success [Cocos] but more often to get bloodied badly).  It's going to take him some time to attend to Clark, Singapore, and the remainder of the DEI.  I really hope he will attend to those to wipe some time off the clock.  I need some space to help Oz and India.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (12/26/2012 7:43:36 PM)

1/10/42

Cocos Aftermath:  Yeah, the garrison troops weren't elite.  The backbone - a UK brigade from 18th Div. - was just 40 experience.  I think I may end up being very glad that RA Mod doesn't give Japan the extra divisions of Scenario Two.

NoPac:  The Allied carriers moved WNW "blind."  I don't know what's out there, though my strongest guess is no more than the NoPac Mini KB that began the war crusing the Aleutians and then moved to Midway.  I don't like moving so blind, but feel that the odds are stacked in my favor.  (I need to add that I'm not even sure the Mini KB is up this far; it's just a possibility.) 

CenPac: QE is moving fast, due east of Pearl Harbor at the moment.

SWPac:  SigInt that an IJ Assault Division is on a maru bound for Carnavon.  Force Z and an American cruiser TF are patrolling those waters.  I know the DEI KB is up near Dem Passar, so I feel relatively comfortable.

DEI/PI:  John has some work to do to clean up this region.  A shock attack at Clark Field two days ago bloodied his army badly (John makes extravagant use of shock attacks - occasionally with good success [Cocos] but more often to get bloodied badly).  It's going to take him some time to attend to Clark, Singapore, and the remainder of the DEI.  I really hope he will attend to those to wipe some time off the clock.  I need some space to help Oz and India.

princep01 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/3/2013 3:27:18 AM)

What, has peace premanently broken out in this game too?

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/4/2013 3:19:58 PM)

1/11/42 to 1/15/42

Under the Weather:  Been feeling "puny" since Monday, keeping me from submitting my usual pithy, informative, and vibrantly entertaining AAR reports.  I'm feeling much better now.

The Calm Before the Sickness:  A week ago today, I took a day off to ramble through the mountains.  The day was typically gray and cold, and I didn't see another soul on a nine-mile hike on Pigeon Mountain. There were still two hours of daylight when I finished, so I drove the short distance to Chickamauga Battlefield, where I took black-and-white photos in the rain - part of a story I've been workin on for awhile.  Now that was the way to spend a day "at work"!

NoPac:  Under cover provided by the four American fleet carriers, two transport TFs unloaded reinforcements at Kodiak.  I half expected something to develop - like the lurking Mini KB sighted near Midway several times - but things have remained quiet.  I don't even think John has patrol aircraft at his Aleutians bases.  It does not seem that NoPac will be a major threat vector in this game.

CenPac:  No further signs of enemy carriers anywhere in the Pacific.  I know that the Mini KB, last sighted near Midway about a week ago, is somewhere close by.  The Pearl KB is totally unknown.  Last sighted moving north from Luganville weeks ago, this force could be anywhere now.

SoPac:  Quiet.

SWPac:  A fair amount of IJ activity around Rabaul with two combat TFs occasionally sortying towards Oz without effect thus far.

Oz:  A small IJN carrier force covering a landing at Carnovon caught sight of Prince of Wales and friends.  A few week strikes by Kates and Vals scored no hits.  I'm wagering that John will commit his carriers in force to take on the RN.  QE carrying part of 27th/A USA Div. is west of Tahiti now, bound for Melbourne.

DEI:  No further enemy landings of note.  The Allies made a brief stand at Johore Bharu before being pushed back into Singapore.

India:  This region is quiet and possibly will remain quiet unitl Singapore is vanquished (not a given, but a probability).  Americal Division will come this way via Capetown (two RCT are already en route).

China:  John has tried a couple more highly unsuccessful deliberate attacks.  I get the feeling that he isn't sure of himself in China.  When he suffers a bloody repulse, he waits for awhile and then attacks again under identical circumstances with identical results.  The Chinese MLR looks pretty good at the moment. 

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/4/2013 3:50:00 PM)

Japanese Tsunami:  It may be a good tiem to address the Japanese tsunami.  A good Japanese player can pretty much overwhelm the Allies at any one point (or several points) early in the game.  The Allied player will do well to slow it, where possible and to get important assets the heck out of the way. It's important to identify where the tsunami is heading as early as possible to avoid getting overrun.  In my match with PzH, the main tsunami hit the Aluetians and coastal Alaska.  In this game, it came south into the DEI and then all the way to Cocos Island and environs.  I was doing a pretty decent job at getting things configured at Cocos, but did a poor job of detecing just how quick John was moving.  As a result, I lost most of 18th UK Division and a heckuva lot of small Dutch ships.  My feeble attempts to slow the tsunami failed - all I was doing was putting assets in harms' way with little chance of accomplishing anything.  John did a good job of not telegraphing his intent (like putting a bunch of subs there to start the game) to come for Cocos hard. 

I think the tsunami has now crested and is receding, though secondary waves will no doubt ensue.  There are a variety of ways for Japan to cobble together a credible AV threat.  Right now, I feel good about things in China.  There is no credible threat to North America or Hawaii at present.  Thus, India and Oz, the two traditional targets, appear most likely.  Right now, the Allies are vulnerable at both places.  It will be weeks before meaningful reinforcements can be brought to paly.  Thus, if John makes a big move early, the Allied response might be to counter with some major moves in the Aleutians.  Once we reach March, things will begin to change.  But for the next four to six weeks, that's my working plan.

Cribtop -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/4/2013 4:52:20 PM)

Funny, I was about to suggest that if John is quiet in NOPAC, you should consider making some noise there. Even as a diversion, your play history means John will take any Allied moves in NOPAC seriously. OTOH, I think your main focus should be IDing John's "Phase II" target and marshaling reserves to meet that threat when it comes.

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/7/2013 10:00:14 PM)

1/16/42 to 1/21/42

NoPac:  The Kodiak reinforcement mission went off without a hitch.  The American carriers have retired and will reach Seattle tomorrow.  (I don't think John knows there whereabouts; he might have some suspicions about this area, but I think he also believes they are perhaps in SoPac.)  American troops and ships are concentrating at Seattle.  This is in keeping with the plan to move into the Aluetians in response to any enemy move against Oz or India.

CenPac:  Quiet.

SoPac: The enemy is landing at Lunga and has combat TFs further to the SE.  Triomphant tangled with two IJN cruisers at Tabituea and actually got the better of them (I think they must have been part of a FT convoy).

SWPac:  The enemy has taken Milne Bay.

Oz:  A KB divisions showed up off Oz's SW Cape.  I was expecting that, though, so the area was clear.  SigInt that 12th IJN Div. is prepping for Newcastle.  That would be a silly expenditure of prep points, so it's probably a fake or a fake-fake.  :)

DEI:  Three IJN divisions were roughed up badly in crossing the causeway to Singapore on the 21st.  It's going to take Japan some time to handle this city, in part due to the extra supply the Allies were able to bring in at the opening of the war.

India:  Nothing major yet.  A IJN BB TF bombarded Sabang two days ago - the first real move into the Bay of Bengal area.

China:  The Japanese are having real problems getting untracked against the Chinese MLR.  As stated previously, I don't think John is strong at ground combat.  He's a navy man.

Cribtop -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/7/2013 11:37:15 PM)

FYI, do you know the origin of the phrase "untracked?" That cliche always drove my fantasy football commissioner crazy (he would rant about it when announcers used it in a broadcast). We searched but couldn't find where the phrase came from.

On a more relevant note, in my experience you are right. John isn't thrilled with the China war, tries to achieve a few modest goals, then shuts down there. Given that conquest of China is all the rage in JFB circles these days, if you can hold a sustainable MLR there you will reduce the enemy's strategic options and increase yours for the mid to endgame.

BBfanboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/7/2013 11:46:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

FYI, do you know the origin of the phrase "untracked?" That cliche always drove my fantasy football commissioner crazy (he would rant about it when announcers used it in a broadcast). We searched but couldn't find where the phrase came from.

On a more relevant note, in my experience you are right. John isn't thrilled with the China war, tries to achieve a few modest goals, then shuts down there. Given that conquest of China is all the rage in JFB circles these days, if you can hold a sustainable MLR there you will reduce the enemy's strategic options and increase yours for the mid to endgame.

Seems to me it would be a railway term - instead of using the dreaded "crashed and burned" they just said the train became "untracked".[8|]

Chickenboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 12:33:05 AM)

quote:

Given that conquest of China is all the rage in JFB circles these days

Hey-with all due respect, I enjoyed liquidating Chinese before liquidating Chinese was cool, Tex. [;)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 2:40:04 AM)

quote:

Lots of theories.

Here's some taking it back to the late 19th C. http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2010/05/23/getting_untracked/

I think it's an eggcorn myself.

Cribtop -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 5:32:53 AM)

You started quite the trend, CB! [;)]

And thanks Moose. After reading that, I'm not sure anyone has really gotten untracked in their efforts to explain the use of untracked.

Chickenboy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 12:48:52 PM)

I haven't seen many moose 'tracks', but I bet they'd be hard to miss.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 1:09:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I haven't seen many moose 'tracks', but I bet they'd be hard to miss.

We eat a lot of fiber . . .

pws1225 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 2:45:24 PM)

Has this AAR become 'untracked'?

witpqs -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 4:54:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

Has this AAR become 'untracked'?

Nah, but the fiber keeps it 'unpacked'. [;)]

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 5:11:05 PM)

1/22/42 and 1/23/42

NoPac:  The carriers are disbanded into port at Seattle and have upgraded all SBD-2 to SBD-3.  A handful of army units have arrives also.  The Allies are thus in position to move on the Aleutians should the need or opportunity arise, which I think will happen.

SoPac:  The Pearl Harbor KB showed up near New Caledonia and is moving SW (possibly as the eastern pincer in a movement paired with the DEI KB, which is south of Perth).  I now know where most of the Japanese carriers are.  An S-boat put two torps in CA Furtaka northeast of Fiji.  Several other enemy combat TFs are spread throughout the region.  Enemy subs are in force near New Zealand.

Oz:  QE just arrived at Melbourne and unloaded 115 AV of 27th/A Div.  John may be unfolding a plan to hit or isolate Oz, though it's too early to know for certain. 

India:  An Oz division will arrive at Aden in coming weeks.  This unit will likely report to Karachi.

China:  The Japanese blasted through a little roadblack SE of Changsha, which might ultimately force me to pull back into the urban MLR rather than trying to "contest forward" a hex or two.  I'll try to keep the enemy at bay awhile longer.

GreyJoy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 5:16:59 PM)

quote:

An S-boat put two torps in CA Furtaka northeast of Fiji.  Several other enemy combat TFs are spread throughout the region. 

That is pretty far away from any decent port for him... think Furtaka is in a really bad situation

Canoerebel -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 5:32:28 PM)

Furutaka showed "heavy damage," but I'd wager 99% she survives to fight again.  This is one of those "wishful thinking" scenarios for the Allies.  You secretly harbor a firm hope that the cruiser was mortally stricken, but four months later she shows up in another fight.  That's exactly what's going to happen here.  Drat.

GreyJoy -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 5:34:29 PM)

quote:

Furutaka showed "heavy damage," but I'd wager 99% she survives to fight again.  This is one of those "wishful thinking" scenarios for the Allies.  You secretly harbor a firm hope that the cruiser was mortally stricken, but four months later she shows up in another fight.  That's exactly what's going to happen here.  Drat.

Well anyway it's a good feeling for the allies, in Jan 42, to nail a CA with a cheap S-boat. It's consider it a wonderfull gift![:)]

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent (1/8/2013 6:58:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

Well anyway it's a good feeling for the allies, in Jan 42, to nail a CA with a cheap S-boat. It's consider it a wonderfull gift![:)]

We all hate CAs. We should start a club, make T-shirts . . .

Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI