CVN 80 Enterprise (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

MineSweeper -> CVN 80 Enterprise (12/4/2012 5:43:36 AM)

That's right....read that CVN 80 will infact be named Enterprise when completed.....[&o]

koniu -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/4/2012 5:47:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

That's right....read that CVN 80 will infact be named Enterprise when completed.....[&o]

That very good news. I do not think they have other chose that name it Enterprise.
I only hope they will commission it in 2025 as planed. But knowing live it can be also 2030.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/4/2012 1:37:52 PM)

quote:

What was the source?

MineSweeper -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/4/2012 3:13:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

What was the source?

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=15708

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/4/2012 4:32:20 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

What was the source?

Thanks. Not unexpected, and a good move.

SpitfireIX -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/4/2012 5:26:25 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

What was the source?

[&o][&o][&o][&o]

I was somewhat concerned about whether this would happen because of the wrangling over the naming of two of the last Nimitz-class CVNs. CVN-76 was originally to have been named United States, but because Democrats and Republicans couldn't agree on whether to name CVN-75 Harry Truman or Ronald Reagan, the ship was renamed so that both men could be honored. Remarked one admiral, "The United States didn't have much of a constituency." [:(]

I supposed it's theoretically possible that something similar could occur in the case of CVN-80, but I'm guessing there would be a major push-back from the Navy if Congress tried to veto Enterprise.

They should have mentioned CV-6 in the press release, though, rather than just referring to the list of all the previous Enterprises.

edit: italics

gexmex -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/4/2012 6:20:49 PM)

by now wouldn't it be the Enterprise-I? [sm=character0085.gif] Sorry, lame attempt at a joke!

John 3rd -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/4/2012 6:28:54 PM)

GREAT! Gene Roddenberry was right. There will ALWAYS be a USS Enterprise.

crsutton -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 1:25:53 AM)

Never understood why Wasp and Hornet never made it back as names. Could there be more perfect names for carriers? Heck, Ronald Reagan just does not strike a whole lot of fear. Well, maybe with democrats. Know what I mean? [;)]

rjopel -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 2:32:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Never understood why Wasp and Hornet never made it back as names. Could there be more perfect names for carriers? Heck, Ronald Reagan just does not strike a whole lot of fear. Well, maybe with democrats. Know what I mean? [;)]

The USS Wasp is LHD-1. Hornet has not been reused.

MineSweeper -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 3:42:24 AM)

IMO they should rid the names of politicians and stick with famous US battles @ Lexington, Saratoga and others.
USS Jimmy Carter SSN and George Bush CVN do not strike me well....

Keifer -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 6:16:15 AM)

Those are the only 2 ships in the US Navy named after politicians that I actually approve of:

Jimmy Carter served on Submarines and George Bush flew from carriers in WWII.

Ronald Reagan, JFK, Stennis, Gerald Ford had nothing to do with carrier aviation.

jmalter -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 7:22:03 AM)

although Gerald Ford was a low-ranking USNR officer, he was an instructor at a USN pre-flight school. he spent 18 months aboard CVL Monterey from its commissioning, & helped save the ship when fires broke out during the December '44 typhoon. then he was transferred to instruct at another pre-flight school. so mebbe he wasn't an aviator or a ship's captain, but he helped train aviators & served his ship well - any new Annapolis graduate might hope to match his record.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 2:00:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Perhaps it's becasue Wasp and Hornet were not exactly awe-inspiring ships in their original incarnations.

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 2:02:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

although Gerald Ford was a low-ranking USNR officer, he was an instructor at a USN pre-flight school. he spent 18 months aboard CVL Monterey from its commissioning, & helped save the ship when fires broke out during the December '44 typhoon. then he was transferred to instruct at another pre-flight school. so mebbe he wasn't an aviator or a ship's captain, but he helped train aviators & served his ship well - any new Annapolis graduate might hope to match his record.

I don't have a problem with him getting a ship, but I wish they had waited and given the class a different name.

AW1Steve -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 2:21:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keifer

Those are the only 2 ships in the US Navy named after politicians that I actually approve of:

Ronald Reagan, JFK, Stennis, Gerald Ford had nothing to do with carrier aviation.

Stennis only as he and Vinson were HUGE carrier supporters. But then again , Washington,Linclon,Roosevelt,Kennedy had nothing to do with carriers, and Truman tried to eliminate them. Nimitz wasn't a Carrier admiral. By your standard , Franklin ,Handcock and Randolph , as well as FDR wouldn't be qualified. I feel the best is a return to the old tradition...carriers are to be named for battles or old ships in the old Navy. [:)]

The Gnome -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/5/2012 4:05:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keifer

Stennis only as he and Vinson were HUGE carrier supporters. But then again , Washington,Linclon,Roosevelt,Kennedy had nothing to do with carriers, and Truman tried to eliminate them. Nimitz wasn't a Carrier admiral. By your standard , Franklin ,Handcock and Randolph , as well as FDR wouldn't be qualified. I feel the best is a return to the old tradition...carriers are to be named for battles or old ships in the old Navy. [:)]

I have no problem with great political leaders being honored, but, I think there should be some sort of time limitation, like x number of years after their passing. It should be long enough period such that history can show their true place, and not have it turned into a contemporaneous political struggle.

fuelli -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/6/2012 2:21:53 PM)

You can be glad to have a few presidents with names that have a ring to it. I just can not imagine a German aircraft carrier named "Helmut Kohl".....[8|]

John 3rd -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/6/2012 3:34:54 PM)

Stennis and Vinson are good names for serious supporters of the Two Ocean Navy. I don't like naming CVs after living people. Concur with some of the above that they should be traditional names from ships of the past.

aphrochine -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/6/2012 5:10:16 PM)

I'm of the school that political names shouldn't be used. Only exceptional admirals with no political careers should be considered imo. Politics has become a more nasty business than ever and the further away the political arena is from our military the better.

As far as previous names who's ships didnt really inspire?? USS Enterprise CV-6 was the 7th american ship of that name. Sometimes, 7 times a charm. [:D]

But waiting until 2025/2030 is waiting too long for a navy to be without an Enterprise.

castor troy -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/7/2012 7:49:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aphrochine

I'm of the school that political names shouldn't be used. Only exceptional admirals with no political careers should be considered imo. Politics has become a more nasty business than ever and the further away the political arena is from our military the better.

As far as previous names who's ships didnt really inspire?? USS Enterprise CV-6 was the 7th american ship of that name. Sometimes, 7 times a charm. [:D]

But waiting until 2025/2030 is waiting too long for a navy to be without an Enterprise.

it takes 15 years to build a modern carrier? [X(]

koniu -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/7/2012 8:39:37 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: aphrochine

it takes 15 years to build a modern carrier? [X(]

Not 15, they don`t start building it yet.
Laid down is scheduled for 2018

ilovestrategy -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/7/2012 9:57:33 AM)

I'm glad there will be another Enterprise. But there will be only one Big E or Gray ghost.

Knavey -> RE: CVN 80 Enterprise (12/7/2012 3:00:12 PM)

I am sure the sailors of the new Enterprise will come up with a nickname just for her.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI