Getting started (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

WAMedic_slith -> Getting started (12/26/2012 3:46:01 PM)

Long time WWII nut and very sporadic wargamer (so I guess you would have to call me a noob). Back in the days I played the original Close Combat series (looks like Matrix has really improved on that series). Once upon a time I tried The Operational Art of War...wow, I was totally overwhelmed and had NO IDEA what I was doing.

So I'm looking to get back into some wargaming that:
1. Has a historical element to it - battles that attempt to re-create history
2. Does not involve micromanaging tons of resources. Just interested in purchasing units and managing the battles...not interested in what resources each country has for factory production, economy, etc.
3. Would be considered a beginner to intermediate level game...while I know a few tactics from playing around with other games I'm still an extreme rookie at military tactics.
4. Not a huge preference between real-time and turn based.

Any suggestions? I was looking at Battle Academy as it appears to have gotten good reviews but is it a little too simplified? I like to see a lot of different unit types and weapons, helps to learn a little about the history of what the troops were facing. Panzer Corps doesn't look like a bad starting spot...or would the Close Combat series that has been re-done by Matrix game work the best?

Obviously at first I'll be playing solo but eventually it would be nice to play a human opponent so I guess that needs to be a factor too.

Any help all you veterans can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

DaBoost -> RE: Getting started (12/26/2012 4:05:54 PM)

Though not a Matrix published game, you could take a look at the Combat mission or Theatre of war series of games or if you're not too keen on graphics, you could try the Steel panthers games, which are free by the way.

Oh, and check out the demo for Command ops. here at Matrix. It's certainly not immediately welcoming, but it cuts out a lot of the micromanagement aspects, but still allows you to dig in deep if you want.

budd -> RE: Getting started (12/26/2012 6:58:06 PM)

sounds like panzer korps is what your looking for. If you played the original then you know what to expect. If you will be playing other humans then a games popularity is important to finding an opponent. Both panzer korps and battle academy are popular, and both apparently shine in multiplayer[solo player here].Both are turned based so you don't have to be online at the same time, unlike real time. Both have demo's i believe, so you can try before you buy. I'd say look around at any your interested in, read AAR's to get a sense of gameplay and play a demo if available. Enjoy.

rickier65 -> RE: Getting started (12/26/2012 7:28:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WAMedic

Long time WWII nut and very sporadic wargamer (so I guess you would have to call me a noob). Back in the days I played the original Close Combat series (looks like Matrix has really improved on that series). Once upon a time I tried The Operational Art of War...wow, I was totally overwhelmed and had NO IDEA what I was doing.

2. Does not involve micromanaging tons of resources. Just interested in purchasing units and managing the battles...not interested in what resources each country has for factory production, economy, etc.
3. Would be considered a beginner to intermediate level game...while I know a few tactics from playing around with other games I'm still an extreme rookie at military tactics.

Any suggestions? I was looking at Battle Academy as it appears to have gotten good reviews but is it a little too simplified? I like to see a lot of different unit types and weapons, helps to learn a little about the history of what the troops were facing. Panzer Corps doesn't look like a bad starting spot...or would the Close Combat series that has been re-done by Matrix game work the best?

Obviously at first I'll be playing solo but eventually it would be nice to play a human opponent so I guess that needs to be a factor too.

Any help all you veterans can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

There is a demo for Panzer Command Ostfront you might want to download and try. It is pretty easy to get into and the demo will give you a good idea of what the play is like.

Rick

hadberz -> RE: Getting started (12/26/2012 8:18:28 PM)

I recommend Panzer Corps. Great game and also has a great PBEM system.

wodin -> RE: Getting started (12/26/2012 9:07:45 PM)

Panzer Corps or maybe Conflict of heroes. Or even Battle Academy.

Rtwfreak -> RE: Getting started (12/27/2012 1:11:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Panzer Corps or maybe Conflict of heroes. Or even Battle Academy.

Yes I agree with those ^ and if you want something free you can get copies of "Steel Panthers" world at war and if you like those then get the Generals Edition from here. I pretty much cut my teeth on computer wargaming with some of the origional Steel Panthers games like Kampfgruppe and Battlegroup by SSI and then later Typhoon of Steel and Panzer Strike then came Steel Panthers I-II and III and finally the big ones that I mentioned above. Great computer wargames so much like Squad Leader by Avalon Hill to me.

bairdlander2 -> RE: Getting started (12/27/2012 2:10:34 AM)

try demo for apos or cbmn

Hertston -> RE: Getting started (12/27/2012 7:06:58 AM)

Unity of Command. Manages to be both a 'beginner' and (excellent) game for experienced players as well.

WAMedic_slith -> RE: Getting started (12/27/2012 6:53:32 PM)

quote:

try demo for apos or cbmn

Sorry...new at this, what do these abbreviations stand for? I got apos (Achtung Panzer: Operation Star).

bairdlander2 -> RE: Getting started (12/27/2012 8:31:50 PM)

combat mission normandy

wodin -> RE: Getting started (12/27/2012 9:36:36 PM)

CMBN is Combat Mission Beyond Normandy. APOS is Achtung Panzer Operation Star..both are superb.

WAMedic_slith -> RE: Getting started (12/27/2012 10:38:22 PM)

I REALLY wish I could try Combat Mission Beyond Normandy but my laptop won't run it. I'm sure it has something to do with the video card. Unless there is something I'm missing....

DaBoost -> RE: Getting started (12/28/2012 8:54:17 AM)

Frankly, my desktop has poor FPS in CMBN at times for whatever reason. I'm sure you've already tried lowering the game graphics to a pixelated mess? I would vote for the older CM games. I never really got into the newer ones for some reason. Sure they're a bit cumbersome to play, but I like them and they certainly shouldn't be resource hogs at all.

See if Panzer command works better for you. The grass makes the FPS drop for me, but otherwise it runs smoothly. Well, except for the random CTD's that make it unplayable for me, but that's beside the point. [:D]

Hertston -> RE: Getting started (12/28/2012 10:09:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JM230

Frankly, my desktop has poor FPS in CMBN at times for whatever reason.

It's just not a particularly good engine in that regard. CMSF was a real hardware beast when released, for no obvious apparent reason.

Panzer Command is probably a better 'beginner' game than either CM or Achtung Panzer, anyway.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Getting started (12/28/2012 3:40:24 PM)

quote:

From the rest of your description, I would go for Panzer Corps, Conflict of Heroes and Battle Academy. All have demos available so you can give them a try before you jump in. Each of those will teach you the basics of strategy and tactics.

Once you feel comfortable again, definitely try the new Close Combat games since you're familiar with Close Combat. Panthers in the Fog is the newest release. For a larger scale game that's still easy to get into, try the recently released Commander: The Great War.

There are many more great games, but if you want to start with the easiest learning curve and most straightforward mechanics from our recent releases, the above are my recommendations.

Regards,

- Erik

doomtrader -> RE: Getting started (12/29/2012 5:16:01 PM)

Take a look at Strategic War in Europe
http://www.matrixgames.com/store/440/Strategic.War.in.Europe
Very scalable difficulty setting, one type of resource and you can focus on just purchasing units and battles. Don't have to know all the rules at the beginning of your journey.

bairdlander2 -> RE: Getting started (12/29/2012 6:33:57 PM)

quote:

I REALLY wish I could try Combat Mission Beyond Normandy but my laptop won't run it. I'm sure it has something to do with the video card. Unless there is something I'm missing....

Are you talking about the demo?It didnt work for me either,but when I bought it runs fine.

WAMedic_slith -> RE: Getting started (12/29/2012 7:02:23 PM)

quote:

Are you talking about the demo?It didnt work for me either,but when I bought it runs fine.

Yeah..the demo.

Thanks for all the advice everyone! I've started out with Battle Academy (purchased the Market Garden add-on as well since it was on sale and I love the movie "A Bridge Too Far"). Only have gotten into the first couple of battles but I think this looks like a good start for me.

I may give Strategic War in Europe a try. Something about the 'counters' over 3D type units that I like...probably because I always enjoy board games and the counters give more of a board game feel.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI