Hw is this game and what is it like? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War

Antmf_slith -> Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/7/2013 11:10:41 PM)

Hey all, Bought and been playing distant worlds and really liked and now I am looking for a good military game and was wondering how this game is and what kind of game it is? It it a turn based or RTS war game? Is it hard to learn and is it realistic? Please let me know. Thanks...

kirk23 -> RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/8/2013 4:56:53 AM)

Hi Antmf,I was like you and sat on the fence so to speak,but after a few conversations on the forum here,I decided to buy,and I glad I did the game is very easy to play,but hard to master at the same time,the AI will give you a very hard game,in most cases it will kick your butt if you take your eye of the ball.

There is no editor,but there is a huge amount of stuff you can edit,by tweeking the Lua files,adding units is a lot more difficult,but once you have done it a couple of times it gets alot easier.Oh and its only going to get better,as there are updates + upgrades being worked on in the background,if you like land warfare its great,the naval side is not as good at present,but that is changing daily for the better,so on a score out off 10,I would give the game an 8 overall.

Ralzakark -> RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/8/2013 9:08:27 AM)

It's turn based and like traditional board wargames the map is hexes. The rules are quite simple, but as kirk23 says mastering the game is hard.

The ground war has a realistic feel to it, as do the (quite simple) rules on production and national morale. The naval war, in all its aspects, is unrealistic, but thankfully does not get in the way of the rest of the game.

Play is interesting with action ranging from a crowded western front to Turkey fighting Russia in the Caucasus and the British in Egypt.

I am enjoying playing it immensely.

FOARP -> RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/8/2013 11:51:26 AM)

If you want a challenging-to-master but fairly easy to get into game that focuses on a neglected but important piece of history this is it. The lack of more complex diplomatic options (you can declare war on neutral countries but not influence them onto your side) and the fairly simplistic naval warfare model are the only downsides. Basically, if you loved Panzer General or Hearts of Iron, this game is for you.

catwhoorg -> RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/8/2013 1:00:59 PM)

Definitely easy to get into, with the interface being easy to use and understand.

Fascinating game to play, very "one more turn"-ish.

Just when you think you are going to be overwhelmed, the tide can turn, and victory is yours.

The always on fog of war, and the lack of ability to understand just how bad your opponents economy/morale is contribute to this.

swetiger -> RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/11/2013 12:52:03 AM)

Great game! [:)]

Qwixt -> RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/14/2013 12:44:45 AM)

Well I bought it today, and uploaded my first youtube video ever.

http://youtu.be/LF8-iclT6Z4

Keep in mind that I really do not know what's going on. It's about the first time I played the game.

Robak -> RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/14/2013 10:14:48 AM)

This game is really great. Don't think - just buy:)

JiminyJickers -> RE: Hw is this game and what is it like? (1/14/2013 6:17:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

Well I bought it today, and uploaded my first youtube video ever.

http://youtu.be/LF8-iclT6Z4

Keep in mind that I really do not know what's going on. It's about the first time I played the game.

Thanks for uploading a video, I was waiting to see what it plays like. Might have to take the plundge soon.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI