This game or Panthers in the fog? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Commander - The Great War

Antmf_slith -> This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/8/2013 6:12:59 PM)

Hey guys, I made my decision and now it is between these two games. For those of you who have played both please let me know which had better AI which is more fun. I know it is set in different times but I am looking for a great grand strategy or RTS war game from either WW1 or WW2 and I have my eyes on both of these games. Most importantly which offers more realism? Thanks...

wodin -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/8/2013 6:28:53 PM)

I imagine it's very hard to make his decision as there two totally different types of game. You'll probably get more "realism" in Panthers mainly due to the scale as GS type games are abstracted by their nature and I don't think Commander WW1 would say it's the most indepth grognard ype game but tries to replicate the overall feel of WW1 though is abstracted. If your after a more "realsitic WW1 GS game" I'd go for WW1Gold but it isn't for the timid and it wont be an overall crowd pleaser like CWW1 is.

I do know that CWW1 has been very well received though. I really couldn't point you in a particular direction between the two and I'm sure hand on hearts no one else could either due to them being totally different types of game.

I will say though that both games have pleased and many are having fun with them.

Myrddraal -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/8/2013 7:49:55 PM)

As wodin said, they're very very different games.

quote:

a great grand strategy or RTS war game

Note that Commander isn't a real-time strategy, it is turn based, with a turn representing two weeks of elapsed time.

Redmarkus5 -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/8/2013 10:24:24 PM)

I'm trying to love this game as it has an elegant interface and I like the game mechanics. However (admittedly I'm a noob) I am put off by the apparent weakness of the 1914 Central Powers (almost no troops in the east???) and the seeming overwhelming strength of the Allied AI, which has smashed me to pieces within a few turns on my first three attempts.

This looks to me like another of those titles that requires you to learn a lot of game techniques rather than employing somewhat historical strategies... Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

Myrddraal -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/8/2013 11:03:03 PM)

Hi redmarkus,

A good way to learn effective tactics is to read some of the great AARs in the AAR subforum. Also, to give yourself some breathing space, start out on Handicapped AI (assuming you have downloaded the latest patch).

JMass -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/8/2013 11:16:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4
I am put off by the apparent weakness of the 1914 Central Powers (almost no troops in the east???) and the seeming overwhelming strength of the Allied AI, which has smashed me to pieces within a few turns on my first three attempts

The weakness of the 1914 Central Powers is only apparent, it is relatively easy to take Paris in the 1914 and to beat Serbia before Italy enters in war.

CarnageINC -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/9/2013 4:11:44 AM)

Hey Red! Glad you got the game. The east is quite messy the first 2-3 turns Russia come into the war, but its not to bad if you plan a turn before. You have to buy troops for the front for a few turns to stabilize things but you have the resources to spare and the room to maneuver if your careful.

When you think you got a handle on things, I would love to play against you again. Either side works fine by me [;)].

Redmarkus5 -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/9/2013 11:40:37 AM)

Thanks Gents - I only purchased the game this week after reading some positive comments. Carnage Happy New Year Comrade - I will practice and then take you up on that offer!

Redmarkus5 -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/9/2013 11:50:31 AM)

By the way, does anyone know how to mod the unit counters? I replaced the standard counters in the folder (C:\Matrix Games\Commander the Great War\Data\Graphics\Units) but for some reason they still show up as stock in the game...

Redmarkus5 -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/9/2013 9:52:08 PM)

This game is not for me - I can't get my head around it and the AI just trashes everything I manage to put into the field. It's back to other things for me...

kirk23 -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/9/2013 10:14:49 PM)

Hi redmarkus4 don't let a little thing like getting hammer by the AI put you of,in a very short period of time, it will become second nature to you,the learning curve can be steep but its worth it,as for the heavy loss all the units take in the game,using notepad its very easy to change the defence strenght number,from say 18 defence to 35 defence,the units will now last longer in combat,giving you time to repair them if needed?

quote:

I'm trying to love this game as it has an elegant interface and I like the game mechanics. However (admittedly I'm a noob) I am put off by the apparent weakness of the 1914 Central Powers (almost no troops in the east???) and the seeming overwhelming strength of the Allied AI, which has smashed me to pieces within a few turns on my first three attempts.

This looks to me like another of those titles that requires you to learn a lot of game techniques rather than employing somewhat historical strategies... Please correct me if I am wrong about this.

FOARP -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (1/10/2013 6:41:48 AM)

I really wouldn't let the difficulty of the AI worry you. After a few games, it's second-nature to beat the AI when playing on even terms. The Central Powers don't really have a weak position in the East - at least not if you do the minimum to direct resources to defending that border. Play from the other side and you'll see that Russia is not exactly in a great position, although, again, once you know the game (which doesn't take long if you moderately experienced with war games) you'll find yourself quickly beating the Central Powers.

Grfin Zeppelin -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (2/20/2013 11:16:59 PM)

quote:

This game is not for me - I can't get my head around it and the AI just trashes everything I manage to put into the field. It's back to other things for me...

Now I have to buy this game......[:)]

Amaranthus -> RE: This game or Panthers in the fog? (2/21/2013 1:24:55 AM)

quote:

it's second-nature to beat the AI when playing on even terms.

Even privileged setting doesn't help the AI - I absolutely slaughter it, playing either side, now that I know the game (but it is amusing to see these new AI units magically pop up to make desperate last defences, even when production has been gutted [:D] ). It just takes a while to get your eye in. Don't get me wrong, this is a terrific game, but the AI can't compete with a good human player. Hence the glory of the PBEM!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI