Is Football a Dying Sport? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

rhondabrwn -> Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 6:12:15 AM)

Just read this article which I found very thought provoking and frankly alarming. I had no idea brain damage was so pervasive in the sport. I'm hoping my grandchildren will not be encouraged (or even allowed) to play football.

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

warspite1 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 6:31:05 AM)

Is Amercian Football a Dying Sport?

Well it should be [>:]

ilovestrategy -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 9:00:39 AM)

Well Rhonda, they do make huge salaries. If brain damage is a possibility it is nothing more than an occupational hazard. And it is their occupation. They are professional athletes.

ilovestrategy -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 9:08:46 AM)

I just read that article. It seems to be nothing more than some guy on a verbal rampage.

Chickenboy -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 12:47:55 PM)

"Death Spiral"? Not hardly. American Football has seen (and maintained) an explosive growth in popularity over the last two decades. No signs of a decrease in popularity at all.

Dennistoun -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 1:13:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"Death Spiral"? Not hardly. American Football has seen (and maintained) an explosive growth in popularity over the last two decades. No signs of a decrease in popularity at all.

...and after a game like last night's it's popularity will only increase.

Sarge -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 1:18:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Just read this article which I found very thought provoking and frankly alarming. I had no idea brain damage was so pervasive in the sport. I'm hoping my grandchildren will not be encouraged (or even allowed) to play football.
What do you guys think?

So lets get this straight ,
your “alarmed” that football can lead to injury, but encouraged with the thought of women being allowed in combat... [sm=00000280.gif]

Titanwarrior89 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 2:09:01 PM)

I hope your boat sinks.[:-][:)]
quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Is Amercian Football a Dying Sport?

Well it should be [>:]

Jamm -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 3:01:01 PM)

Yeah, awesome game last night.

Most things in life carry some risk, and the athletes are aware and paid handsomely to take these risks.
One can always become an chartered accountant,..

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 3:31:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

What do you guys think?

your “alarmed” that football can lead to injury, but encouraged with the thought of women being allowed in combat... [sm=00000280.gif]

Good catch Sarge. I have always been left somewhat speechless by the double standard of some folks. If the current President and those who agree with him about women in combat are "Alarmed" at brain injuries in the NFL, will they be equally distraught when women come home in body bags? I strive to understand their line of reasoning, but I usually get a headache.

RedArgo -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 3:53:08 PM)

What could end football is not injuries to the adults who play in the NFL, but injuries that occur to children playing in high school and before. Once some high school ends up on the wrong end of a multi-million dollar law suit over brain injury, schools will have to make tough decisions about the future of continuing football programs.

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 3:55:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RedArgo

What could end football is not injuries to the adults who play in the NFL, but injuries that occur to children playing in high school and before. Once some high school ends up on the wrong end of a multi-million dollar law suit over brain injury, schools will have to make tough decisions about the future of continuing football programs.

But, but, but, football has been around more than long enough for this have happened now. This entire silly debate is being fueled by brain-dead politicians.

I throw my hands up.[;)]

ilovestrategy -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 4:01:58 PM)

quote:

But how many decades have people been playing high school football?

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 4:05:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

But how many decades have people been playing high school football?

Thanks for asking ILS, great question. Since you are all counting on me I will tell you: people have been playing high school football for...quiet a while. Good day.

rodney727 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 5:19:15 PM)

More kids today get concussions playing soccer than football! College football is king. My daughter got a concussion playing soccer last year. Soccer you would think would be safer than American football but its not.
quote:

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

rodney727 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 5:28:20 PM)

Simply no. Kids today are required to sign papers releasing the school from such lawsuits. In Nebraska you are allowed a max number of three concussions. Which I feel should really be two. High schools today have strict rules about injuries and if a coach has any doubt about any injury they are required to pull that student right away. They are only liable if they knowingly put the student back in after the fact. I strongly disagree this post below. Don't know of any school considering dropping a football program based on head injuries.
quote:

rodney727 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 5:48:48 PM)

I think your overreacting based on one report. Football is huge and a matter of town pride. When Omaha nation picked up football (native American tribe). You know it's huge. My son loves it and yes I know the risks. I couldn't imagine the resentment he would have if I discouraged him not to play....
quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrw

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 6:19:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

I think your overreacting based on one report. Football is huge and a matter of town pride. When Omaha nation picked up football (native American tribe). You know it's huge. My son loves it and yes I know the risks. I couldn't imagine the resentment he would have if I discouraged him not to play....
quote:

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

You know rogo, this got started when the President, for some strange reason, decided to speak about the issue. A President has no business delving into almost everything that pops up. He stuck his nose in a local police issue a few years ago, again unnecessary and unwanted.

I got a concussion in 2005 when I tripped in our vets parking lot. I tripped over my own feet, but the vet was freaked out that I would sue them. I did not, because I believe in personal responsibility. So if people choose to play football, I can't see how they don't know they might get drain bamage.

rodney727 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 6:58:13 PM)

Well some years ago and I mean many years ago...Theador Roosevelt said he would outlaw college football if it didn't clean itself up. That's how the NCAA came about. Look up Minnesota vrs Iowa state I think three people were killed during that game. The helmets they have now are outstanding.
quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

quote:

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

You know rogo, this got started when the President, for some strange reason, decided to speak about the issue. A President has no business delving into almost everything that pops up. He stuck his nose in a local police issue a few years ago, again unnecessary and unwanted.

I got a concussion in 2005 when I tripped in our vets parking lot. I tripped over my own feet, but the vet was freaked out that I would sue them. I did not, because I believe in personal responsibility. So if people choose to play football, I can't see how they don't know they might get drain bamage.

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 7:02:17 PM)

quote:

Well some years ago and I mean many years ago...Theador Roosevelt said he would outlaw college football if it didn't clean itself up. That's how the NCAA came about. Look up Minnesota vrs Iowa state I think three people were killed during that game. The helmets they have now are outstanding.
quote:

quote:

quote:

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

I forgot about that. But I still do not think ANY President needs to be jumping into things like this. It is not his job. But bigger than that is the fact that some people really seem to want to do away with anything even slightly dangerous. It makes me wonder what planet they are from.

rodney727 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 7:10:46 PM)

Truth is Americans feel about football as the world feels about soccer. It's a matter of pride. If they replaced football with soccer it would be the end of rivals as we know it. If Minnesota beat Iowa in soccer I could care less. But by god if they beat us in football it's another matter in itself .
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

I forgot about that. But I still do not think ANY President needs to be jumping into things like this. It is not his job. But bigger than that is the fact that some people really seem to want to do away with anything even slightly dangerous. It makes me wonder what planet they are from.

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 7:17:55 PM)

quote:

Truth is Americans feel about football as the world feels about soccer. It's a matter of pride. If they replaced football with soccer it would be the end of rivals as we know it. If Minnesota beat Iowa in soccer I could care less. But by god if they beat us in football it's another matter in itself .
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

Dear God you are a heretic for even suggesting that REAL FOOTBALL(American style) be replaced by a bunch of sissies prancing around on grass tossing their long, flowing hair(and salads) while trying to kick a stupid round ball...uh, where was I. Oh, NEVER.

pzgndr -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 7:20:03 PM)

quote:

This entire silly debate is being fueled by brain-dead politicians.

In sports, there is a risk of brain damage.

In politics, there is a requirement for brain damage. [:D]

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 7:21:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

quote:

This entire silly debate is being fueled by brain-dead politicians.

In sports, there is a risk of brain damage.

In politics, there is a requirement for brain damage. [:D]

Spoken like a true thinker. [&o]

Jeffrey H. -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 7:41:12 PM)

quote:

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

We need helmet control for the NFL, it's the helmets which cause the damage to the head. Low capacity helmets and elimination of assualt helmets would make the world such a better place.

But really, football as an organized sport is essentially a displacement of the aggressive tendencies of mankind into less damaging and costly activities for society as a whole. Nerfing the game will result in the aggression being played out in other ways.

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 8:04:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

quote:

Football's Death Spiral

What do you guys think?

We need helmet control for the NFL, it's the helmets which cause the damage to the head. Low capacity helmets and elimination of assualt helmets would make the world such a better place.

But really, football as an organized sport is essentially a displacement of the aggressive tendencies of mankind into less damaging and costly activities for society as a whole. Nerfing the game will result in the aggression being played out in other ways.

I was thinking the same things. President Obama should issue an executive order banning assault helmets. WOW, problem solved.[;)]

Gilmer -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 10:19:35 PM)

I just find it very hard to believe that there is this magnifying glass on football when you have several sports where the objective is to beat the opponent senseless. Boxing, MMA, UFC...

I'm not wilting daisy or whatever they call it. I participated in an amateur boxing club. Two of the guys on in my club went on to win titles in amateur boxing - one in the bantam weight and one in welterweight.

Hell, I loved watching boxing as a kid and still like watching a good boxing match, but about 80% of the punches in pro boxing go straight to the head. You would think they'd be more worried about that.

rodney727 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 11:05:59 PM)

Mma. If you get knocked out it is treated as a concision . You cannot compete for 90 days. Like I said my daughter loves soccer but make no mistake it is a violet sport . No head gear it is very easy for a head injury. This last Saturday two girls were knocked out by running into each other. In volleyball this last summer two girls got a concussion from spiked balls to the head. Even in softball you are not safe. Both my kids are very active in sports. In fact the only sport I can think of is swim team where I can go and watch and not think of a serious injury. The one sport I fear the most is wrestling in which my son has competed in since 2nd grade.. He loves that and football. Can you tell your kids not to compete ? Both my kids are building life skills that they need to be a success in life.
quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I just find it very hard to believe that there is this magnifying glass on football when you have several sports where the objective is to beat the opponent senseless. Boxing, MMA, UFC...

I'm not wilting daisy or whatever they call it. I participated in an amateur boxing club. Two of the guys on in my club went on to win titles in amateur boxing - one in the bantam weight and one in welterweight.

Hell, I loved watching boxing as a kid and still like watching a good boxing match, but about 80% of the punches in pro boxing go straight to the head. You would think they'd be more worried about that.

rodney727 -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 11:13:27 PM)

+100
quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarge

quote:

What do you guys think?

parusski -> RE: Is Football a Dying Sport? (2/4/2013 11:15:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Of course this make no damned sense. It makes no sense that the "leader" of the free world would have have time to comment on this issue. Much less start pontificating that even high school students are not "old enough to decide whether to play football". He actually said that. I don't care which political party a president belongs to, he/she/it has no business in this kind of thing, so don't even think of attacking me on this. Oh well, our leader was speaking, AGAIN, of the "...son" he does not have.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI