RE: OT ship in distress (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT ship in distress (2/22/2013 12:56:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

...i was on a Carnival cruise last year in which one of our engines quit half way to Jamaica...we diverted to Cozumel and you would have thought the passengers were about to mutiny...we were credited a couple hundred bucks for each ticket, which i thought was fair...maybe not so fair for the wedding party on board that was supposed to meet family and friends in Jamaica for their wedding [X(]...IMO, the kind of people that go on these type cruises (for the most part) are exactly the ones you don't want to be around for an extended period of time in a situation like the one that occurred recently...

The one and only Carnival cruise I went on (the trip was free due to Marriott points) I got so gassed out by the smoking the trip was pretty much a bust. I know they price for a somewhat downscale crowd, but come on. No-smoking areas aren't a new concept.

We had an elderly gent have a cardiac event which needed a medevac when we were near San Juan. The captian didn't want to go all the way in due to the schedule, so he tried to hover on the thrusters off-shore as the USCG sent a 32-footer out to take the litter with the gent strapped in. Seas were about four feet and they were haivng trouble getting near enough. Passengers on the rail, 6-8 stories up. (This was about 2130; it was dark, with a lot of lights from our ship on the attempt.) I look up the railing and I see this boozy redneck flick a butt over the rail, RIGHT ONTO THE COASTIES.

Some people don't deserve to live.

Never got the man off that way. We ended up hurtling into the pier near midnight at a full bell, the captain hovered there, put across a brow, never tied up so never had to clear customs. Stretcher, nurse go across to waiting ambulance. We spun on the thrusters and skedaddled. Made up the time overnight. Masterful seamanship. The guy lived.

...first Carnival cruise i went on was out of Jacksonville, FL with my wife and in-laws...i dubbed it the "Redneck Cruise" and i even had a song to go along with it...imagine the intro song from "Southpark"...

"Gonna go down to Jacksonville and git on a redneck cruise,
Gonna git on that Fascination and drink some redneck booze."

...there were more colorful verses [:D]...redneck booze = 16 oz. budweisers in aluminum cans...during one fine summer afternoon in between stops, i was walking down a deck (not sure which) and passed a common room with a widescreen tv...no less than 30 "rednecks" watching NASCAR and drinking bud's...yeehaw!!!

PS - i'm a smoker, but i did try to find isolated areas to puff so as to not annoy too many people...

In one week on that cruise I saw three bar fights. On 7 other cruises on Royal Carib and the old pre-Carnival Princess I saw a total of no bar fights.

witpqs -> RE: OT ship in distress (2/22/2013 4:17:03 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

What does "pit across a brow" mean, Moose?

Put across a brow. A brow is a horizontal access ramp, what non-sailors call a "gangplank." This one as I recall was very rickety. Just some plywood, iron pipes for rails, and wheels on the ship end. Two dock hands wheeled it over the edge of the pier and onto the access hatch in the side of the ship. Nurse ran across it pushing gent in wheelchair. They pulled the brow back to the pier and we began to leave. Probably thirty seconds.

Typed it too fast! Thanks. Heck, that must have only taken 30 seconds 'cause who would want to stay on there any longer without the ship tied up!

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: OT ship in distress (2/22/2013 5:58:39 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

What does "pit across a brow" mean, Moose?

Put across a brow. A brow is a horizontal access ramp, what non-sailors call a "gangplank." This one as I recall was very rickety. Just some plywood, iron pipes for rails, and wheels on the ship end. Two dock hands wheeled it over the edge of the pier and onto the access hatch in the side of the ship. Nurse ran across it pushing gent in wheelchair. They pulled the brow back to the pier and we began to leave. Probably thirty seconds.

Typed it too fast! Thanks. Heck, that must have only taken 30 seconds 'cause who would want to stay on there any longer without the ship tied up!

That nurse was wearing golden track shoes. [8D]

The supply officer in me always wondered if Carnival ever got the wheelchair back. Might have come out of the captain's pay . . .

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI