help with replacements (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Alea Jacta Est Series

ncarson -> help with replacements (3/14/2013 10:02:18 PM)

I can't quite understand the chit system and replacements. Yes, I RTFM'd , but don't quite understand. For example, in M vs Sulla, there are replacements for Rome, Socii, and Populares, as well as ships etc. How are they best used?

alex0809 -> RE: help with replacements (3/14/2013 11:37:13 PM)

Obviously units need specific replacements. I think it's always pretty obvious what type of replacements a unit needs but if you are not sure you can always click on a units element and check the unit type.

Now about how replacements work:

If you click on an element you can see which nationality it is. You need the replacements for the correct nationality. So you need Socii replacements for your Socii "legions" (or whatever they're called), Populares replacements I think only for the legion LEADER elements, and Roman replacements for all other legion elements, auxilia elements etc.

I don't know exactly how replacements work but I think I read somewhere (and it would fit with my experience) that it works like this:
- 1 replacement chit = 1 element replaced (if you lost it in combat)
- I think that for every element step (= basically health points of an element, if you look at the detailed element page you can see how many it has) replaced a dice is rolled to determine if the replacement chit is lost or not. At least when I play sometimes 1 replacement chit seems to replace dozens of units and sometimes nearly none so I don't think a replacement chit is gradually "used up". But I might be totally wrong on this one. If you want to know exactly you should ask the devs at the official forum where they reply very fast: www.ageod-forum.com

loki100 -> RE: help with replacements (3/15/2013 12:04:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ncarson

I can't quite understand the chit system and replacements. Yes, I RTFM'd , but don't quite understand. For example, in M vs Sulla, there are replacements for Rome, Socii, and Populares, as well as ships etc. How are they best used?

Best way to think of it is that each chit will replace a certain number of lost elements, usually about 1-10 but its random.

Their allocation is a bit out of your control, in that it is automatic. But, units in the green stance will be prioritised, followed by units in a blue (defend stance). Units that are at less than full supply will not take on replacements. Equally being on a deport is a help.

so you can sort of set priorities by the placement/deployment of your formations. The net effect is if you are campaigning in enemy controlled territory, odds on your units will slowly wear down

Each major unit type then has its own replacement pool, split up by types and by nationalities (so legion replacements won't fill out lost cavalry etc)

ncarson -> RE: help with replacements (3/15/2013 2:26:59 PM)

Thank BOTH of you so much. At least I now know that it is not simple!

lion_of_judah -> RE: help with replacements (3/30/2013 2:17:41 AM)

question- are you able to build knew units or are you only able to receive replacements or both. i just bought this game and have been missing around with it. the manual is rather vague on building units and what not.

loki100 -> RE: help with replacements (3/31/2013 8:50:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

question- are you able to build knew units or are you only able to receive replacements or both. i just bought this game and have been missing around with it. the manual is rather vague on building units and what not.

you can do both.

There are 3 related 'modes'/views that allow to do this. I've not got the game open so this is indicative rather than precise.

but the 'ledger' allows you to order up replacements (as in the discussion above)
there is a 'recruitment mode' that allows you to build new units
and a 'decision mode' that allows you to play various options - such as raise taxes etc.

hope this helps a bit. Things to watch is that some units can only be built in certain areas and that there are often limits to the number of particular units you can have in play at anyone time.

lion_of_judah -> RE: help with replacements (4/16/2013 3:21:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

quote:

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

you can do both.

There are 3 related 'modes'/views that allow to do this. I've not got the game open so this is indicative rather than precise.

but the 'ledger' allows you to order up replacements (as in the discussion above)
there is a 'recruitment mode' that allows you to build new units
and a 'decision mode' that allows you to play various options - such as raise taxes etc.

hope this helps a bit. Things to watch is that some units can only be built in certain areas and that there are often limits to the number of particular units you can have in play at anyone time.

this maybe a silly question, but where exactly does one go in order to build new units not just get replacements. i have looked and looked and i still cannot find where one does this. thanks

BohémondAJE -> RE: help with replacements (4/17/2013 10:34:42 AM)

Hello,

Please take a look a the manual (AJE/Docs).

Section 23 (page 69 in English Manual)

Regards

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI