Who Is Still Here? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945

tocaff -> Who Is Still Here? (3/23/2013 1:21:37 PM)

I was wondering who other than myself and Capt. Harlock is still around this forum? Who is still playing WITP? It seems dead here other than my AAR.

wdolson -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/23/2013 2:09:47 PM)

AE sucked the air out of the room.

I'm monitoring this forum, but I haven't played WitP since I was doing some head to head comparison between AE and WitP during development of AE.

Bill

dr.hal -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/23/2013 6:01:32 PM)

Silence is golden, right? Yes there are some out here, know as the silent majority! Hal

Wolfie1 -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/23/2013 6:58:32 PM)

Still here, just struggling for time for gaming with family/work commitments.

engineer -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/24/2013 1:16:38 AM)

Still here noodling around with the editor to look at "what-if scenarios". Next up is a northern war: Japan decides to take out the Soviet Far East and keep the USA out as long as possible. Major mods to stock: adding Thai forces to the Japanese OOB, add Vichy forces in southern Indochina as Allied, Japanese only hold Hanoi/Haiphong and Thais hold Luang Prabang (per Franco-Thai War earlier in 1941), and no US oil embargo in July 41 since there was no occupation of southern Indochina so Japans gets a bonus on initial oil stocks. Japanese will start the war a little earlier (November, 1941). A bunch of House Rules are necessary: Allies cn't put troops in Siberia, US and Japan dance around full belligerency until Singapore falls or April 1, 1942. If the Japanese don't strike the US first, then FDR gets declaration of war by twisting arms in Congress and Japan gets asymmetrical victory conditions (another house rule): if they hold any lead on 11/1/44, then FDR loses the election and an isolationist negotiates peace (Japan wins), even if the Allies have a lead on 11/1/44, if they don't reach an autovictory by 6/1/45 (shortly after victory in ETO), then Japan gets a draw as war weariness pushes the Truman to wrap up FDR's "war of choice." .

tocaff -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/25/2013 4:07:34 PM)

So now I'm starting to feel very lonely here.

ColCathcart -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/25/2013 6:37:07 PM)

Rarely logging in but still lurking there. Not sure for how long though as my last PBEM is now clearly dead.

Mobeer -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 12:17:14 AM)

Still here. Still 1 game to finish (vs. Allied AI). But not a lot of enthusiasm - the game seems old and though I will finish my current game I can't see myself starting any new games.

Roll on Witp2.

wdolson -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 12:27:41 AM)

You could try AE first. It's probably the closest anyone is going to come to WitP2 for a while at least.

The forums over there are lively too.

Bill

tdpyle -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 1:13:21 AM)

I've become frustrated with the amount of micromanagement required with AE and decided to try a WITP game against the AI. I upgraded to the CHS mod which provides a slight bit of AE flavor without overdoing it. I have to say that I'm enjoying the game so far although I'm only at April, 1942. One improvement that would have been nice would be the -px -py full screen option like in AE. But still enjoyable.

tocaff -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 12:16:33 PM)

A problem with CHS is that it never was really tested deep enough into the game, or so I was told by reliable sources.

tdpyle -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 2:27:56 PM)

Well, so far, so good. We'll see what happens as I progress farther into the game. After all, what could go wrong...go wrong...go wrong? [:)]

tocaff -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 7:30:50 PM)

The pilot bug, bug bug for starters. [:(]

Mobeer -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 8:58:37 PM)

Pilot bug was not a CHS thing though - stock WitP has the same problem.

Perhaps an edit is in order:

"A problem with WitP is that never was really tested deep enough into the game, or so Mobeer's own opinion goes"

tdpyle -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 9:59:50 PM)

Pilot bug is a worry. Hopefully, it will bite my AI opponent in the A** before it gets me [:)]. I'm playing Allied. So far, the mechanics of movement and upgrading, etc. are all OK.

tocaff -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/26/2013 11:47:48 PM)

When the pilot bug bites it digs it's teeth into both sides of the fence. Seeing how the Allies have trained pilots and the Japanese have, well cannon fodder we know who it hurts more.

Alfred -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/27/2013 3:22:07 PM)

I pop over every so often but as I don't have the game installed on my current computer I usually refrain from posting in order to not give out incorrect information.

Classical WITP would still have value to those who find AE too micromanagement orientated. Which 6 years ago, pre-AE would have been a laughable idea to classical WITP players.

Alfred

tocaff -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/27/2013 6:48:14 PM)

I remember playing UV and thinking that WITP was to detailed for me. Now I feel that way about AE. AE has things that I like over WITP, but there's just so much more.

gpannell -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/31/2013 12:55:20 AM)

Glad to see a few die hards still here. I hate the Micro management of AE and the time one turn takes.

Desertmole -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (8/9/2013 11:05:18 AM)

Don't come here often, but still do a fair amount of gaming vs. AI. I tinker with scenarios based on finding new historical data or when I run into some interesting alternate history and want to see how it might game out.

v.Manstein -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (10/4/2013 10:57:23 AM)

I am still playing the normal version. I don't own the Admiral's version.

However the forum for the original game seems to shrink every time I come back here!

jallison86 -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (11/4/2013 8:11:35 PM)

I haven't been on the forums for a while but I'm still playing WitP. Haven't tried AE as I don't really feel like shelling out the money. Maybe when my current game is done...we'll see.

- Jeff

wworld7 -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (11/5/2013 1:44:45 AM)

I'm still around.

tdpyle -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (11/6/2013 12:08:42 PM)

I am still playing the CHS version against the Japanese AI. I was cautioned earlier that the CHS version had not been fully tested for later stages of game. I'm in mid-July 1942. Still early. So far, so good. Plays about like stock WITP. Addition of Aden and Panama Canal add some new twists regarding entry of reinforcements. The Japanese AI seems consistent with stock WITP. In other words, pretty dumb! Lack of Japanese sub menace off US West Coast makes shipping thru Panama unnecessary. Maybe the AI will smarten up later on. I'll keep posting updates.

rominet -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (11/6/2013 1:58:48 PM)

I still have 4 PBEM with WitP with other french players and i am still making AAR.
I continue to love this game.

For me, WitP is much more balanced than AE between micro managment for one part and strategy and tactics for the other part.
Too much micro managments in AE makes me this game boring.

Ajantaka -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (11/17/2013 1:08:34 AM)

What is AE please? Curse acronynms. thanks

wdolson -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (11/17/2013 7:41:57 AM)

AE is the reason the question "Who is still here?" was asked in the first place. It's short hand for WitP Admiral's Edition.

Bill

Gem35 -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (12/21/2013 11:58:34 PM)

I'm still here. Bought the game almost ten years ago and still play against the Japanese AI. Always will love this game. 👍

mutterfudder -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (3/22/2014 5:40:05 AM)

Yea still playing against the AI. Bought it when it first came out.

hbrsvl -> RE: Who Is Still Here? (12/15/2014 10:22:01 PM)

tocaff- Well, here's one more that's still plugging away at WITP. I like to go back to WITP when I screw-up in AE.

Love them both Hugh Browne

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI