Anyone using this? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

drillerman -> Anyone using this? (3/23/2013 2:53:29 PM)

It called the 4GB Patch. You patch the EXE file you are using say DistantWorlds.exe

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

I have been using it and have certainly not had any problems. I wonder if it may help anyone who is having problems with crashing

quote:

This very little tool patches x86 executables in order to let them have 4GB (instead of only 2) of virtual memory on x64 platforms. This tool comes very handy for applications which need a great amount of virtual memory like games,

HectorOfTroy -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/23/2013 11:47:49 PM)

Interesting. Maybe this could help out of memory issues and slowdowns?

KAHUNA -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/24/2013 1:59:37 AM)

Is this something that needs to be fazed into the game by the developers?I cannot finish a late game without it going into stutter,slow and stop modes with the framerate set at 20.

Fishers of Men -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/24/2013 11:17:00 PM)

This 4GB patch would change the structure of the .EXE file and possibly invalidate your warranty. There could be other unintended consequences, so please do some research first.

scotten_usa -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/25/2013 6:53:39 PM)

Does DW use anywhere close to 4GB of memory? I'd have to check, but I don't remember any game I've run using more than 1GB of RAM.

kenright -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/25/2013 8:03:08 PM)

This is a video game? They don't come with warranties? Its a licensed product. You can do whatever you want to it. If you managed to reverse engineer the engine and rebuilt the thing, so long as you didn't sell it you'd be fine.

The developers are under no legal obligation to do anything for you, whether you use Large Address Aware (which is a better choice than the above link) or not.

Anyways, the bottleneck is this game is CPU utilization, as the game does not seem to effectively utilize more cores.

drillerman -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/25/2013 10:00:25 PM)

quote:

This 4GB patch would change the structure of the .EXE file and possibly invalidate your warranty. There could be other unintended consequences, so please do some research first.

Hmmm, Invalidate your warranty?[8|] We are talking zero's and one's here. The worse that could happen to the .EXE file is that it get corrupted and you have to reinstall.

BTW, I did do some research first:
quote:

I have been using it and have certainly not had any problems.

Maybe it's you Fishers of men, that should do the research first![;)]

HectorOfTroy -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/26/2013 12:14:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ScottenChi

Does DW use anywhere close to 4GB of memory? I'd have to check, but I don't remember any game I've run using more than 1GB of RAM.

So why is it stuttering so much in late games when I have 4 Gb of memory?

Fishers of Men -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/26/2013 4:27:53 PM)

I had an experience with another game that I 4GB patched and later I was not able to install future update files for that game. The game company refused to help me solve this problem, telling me I had damaged the product. I decided to reinstall and return the .EXE to it's original condition. That was my experience, but thanks for sharing your thoughts drillerman. I am glad it is working for you.[8D]

By the way, I meant to say license, not warranty in my previous post. Thanks for getting me straight on that one.

KAHUNA -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/26/2013 7:28:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishers of Men

This is why I asked if the developers should use this.["Is this something that needs to be fazed into the game by the developers?"]I'm of the mind that it's their game..I bought it and it was up to them to try these things to "enhance" the sale of their product.The game works right now but late game it stops,stutters and slows down.[&:]

drillerman -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/27/2013 9:24:54 PM)

@fishers

Yes of course it could damage your EXE file. However, just back up the file first try the patch if it damages it, replace it with the back up. At the very worse, you would need to reinstall.

@kahuna

I am sure this is something that the devs would never use.

Fishers of Men -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/27/2013 9:59:13 PM)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I would like to address HectorOfTroy's question about the games memory use.

The way I understand it is increasing the size of the executable would allow for additional lines of code to be added to the program(software). This is not the same as adding more RAM(hardware). I don't think the game would recognize this doubling of the .EXE as new RAM. If this is true, this patch could not improve DW running more smoothly. Your comments, please.

solops -> RE: Anyone using this? (3/27/2013 11:08:13 PM)

I have been using this for DW, Civ4, SoTS, MTW2 and all of my other old XP era games for a year or three, I really do not remember how long. I have never had a problem with it and some of the games show improved performance. Best of all Civ4 has had no MAF crashes since I started using it.

Yes, to update a game, you have to revert to the original exe, which is no biggie since the program automatically creates a backup when you run it. Update and then run the 4gb patcher again. Also, there is little benefit unless you are using a 64 bit op system and have 4GB+ RAM.

KAHUNA -> RE: Anyone using this? (4/12/2013 2:54:48 PM)

Since I've read that the Shadow's expansion was made with an improved game engine will there be a retro patch for those of us troopers that still wish to play the Legends part of this game? Each game progression is a patch[altho a very large and game changing patch] and to get all the bells and whistles it's neccessary to get the newest rendition of the game when it becomes available but for myself I'd like to get the full monty for what I've already purchased. I love the game but in playing the end of a sandbox mode game it hasn't been possible for me yet altho I've turned down my fps to about 20/per.It will still stutter,stop and then drop me back into windows[Vista]. What say ye?[:)] Can we see a patch to fix this please?

solops -> RE: Anyone using this? (4/12/2013 3:09:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KAHUNA

Since I've read that the Shadow's expansion was made with an improved game engine will there be a retro patch for those of us troopers that still wish to play the Legends part of this game? Each game progression is a patch[altho a very large and game changing patch] and to get all the bells and whistles it's neccessary to get the newest rendition of the game when it becomes available but for myself I'd like to get the full monty for what I've already purchased. I love the game but in playing the end of a sandbox mode game it hasn't been possible for me yet altho I've turned down my fps to about 20/per.It will still stutter,stop and then drop me back into windows[Vista]. What say ye?[:)] Can we see a patch to fix this please?

Wrong thread. The 4gb patch is a generic third party patching program that can be used on a variety of exe files to allow older software to access more RAM. It has nothing to do with official game patches for DW or any other game. It is a "use at your own risk" piece of software.

KAHUNA -> RE: Anyone using this? (4/12/2013 3:18:13 PM)

no this works right here..I'm asking if there may be something in the future here that will alleviate late game problems.The 4g patch isnt going to help so I asked if they were going to make a retro patch that will.If a mod wants to move this or something that's fine but please do not discount the meat of what I was asking..
Also if I'm the ONLY one that has this problem then I'l withdraw my question but from other posts I've read this is NOT the case..

Rambe -> RE: Anyone using this? (4/13/2013 10:34:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kenright

This is a video game? They don't come with warranties? Its a licensed product. You can do whatever you want to it. If you managed to reverse engineer the engine and rebuilt the thing, so long as you didn't sell it you'd be fine.

The developers are under no legal obligation to do anything for you, whether you use Large Address Aware (which is a better choice than the above link) or not.

Anyways, the bottleneck is this game is CPU utilization, as the game does not seem to effectively utilize more cores.

And judging by LAA (used that handy tool ages) DW (at least Legeds) already have that 4gb limit enabled, so that original post tool do nothing at all.

Cruis.In -> RE: Anyone using this? (4/16/2013 7:29:45 AM)

the bottleneck cannot be the cpu. Because most games only use one core and do not have an issue, there is nothing dw could do to bottle neck a modern cpu. It is the graphics rendering. It doesn't use hardware acceleration.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI