HOWTO: Jungle Warfare (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center

cknoll -> HOWTO: Jungle Warfare (1/1/2003 1:33:42 AM)

I have a question about the proper way to work through an enemy infested jungle (or a map with lots of trees). Any recommended strategies?

-Chris

Jim1954 -> (1/1/2003 1:45:20 AM)

Lots of scout units, move slowly(1 hex at a time, look 270 deg. move again, etc.) You might even try turning off your scouts weapons so the do not react fire if they spot the enemy first. Pray a lot. Keep your inf units in close proximity so they can support each other. Pray some more. Liberal use of FT's when possible.

Good luck!!!

Redleg -> (1/1/2003 1:49:16 AM)

Yes. The best way I have found with Jungle or any other low visibility battle is move slowly, infantry leading.

Fast-moving infantry will take high casualties.

Be sure to look around with each unit. Do this a lot.

Make sure you have plentry of turns and be patient.

These are my favorite type of battle if I have enough time.

RayM -> (1/1/2003 9:06:41 AM)

Ditto on how to move through the jungle. Here are some other things I have found helpful.

If I have it available, I like to drop a few mortar or artillery rounds prior to moving forward. I target likely defensive positions and ambush sites in front of my expected routes in. Sometimes you get lucky and flush out some enemy units or at least pin them down.

I also like to employ my air assets in a similar manner. One neat thing is that your aircraft will often unmask enemy units as it flys over the ground on its run into or out of the targeted hex. And once you locate them, I hammer them with arty and mortars.

Welcome to the jungle...

Redleg -> (1/1/2003 9:12:55 AM)

Oh, you use artillery and aircraft? ;)

I have given up on firing artillery assets at suspected troop locations - don't want to consume orders. But with C/C off, firing mortars or even direct-firing with rifles will often identify or slightly suppress a unit enough to degrade its firing accuracy.

RayM -> (1/1/2003 12:47:59 PM)

Yes, the down side is using orders and wasting rounds. I learned the hard way early on to be careful. I haven't used small arms fire in this manner though.

In thinking about it further, I recall that my aircraft overflights usually had a greater chance to uncover units than harrassment fire. Perhaps, it just my perception of the game play.

Once the battle begins, do you ever use counter-battery fire on "smoking" hexes that usually indicate arty or mortars? The clue of course is the smoke animation, although you can't scan around while the other side is playing.

Redleg -> (1/1/2003 1:21:56 PM)

I'd like to think that I do not but I must admit that when the going gets tough, I fire at the smoke.

I have played pbem where by mutual agreement, there was a no firing at smoke rule until the icon of the gun became printed on the screen. I liked that rule! Thanks to Paul V for that one.

Give the small arms firing at suspected postions a try. Sometimes it will reveal the enemy; sometime not. But it will suppress them enough to disrupt their ability to fire.

As time goes on, I am using suppressive fires more and more. Fire and manuever. SPWAW really does model this well. That is, I don't worry too much about kills. Rather, I try to put steel on everything I can see that represents a threat *before* moving.
Then, units that have not fired can move forward more safely. It seems to me that it all works.

If there is a pressure of time from limited number of turns, then one is forced to banzai forward! ;)

RayM -> (1/1/2003 1:33:10 PM)

I have also found myself using the"indirect approach" in combat as it relates to maneuvering in and around and behind enemy positions to set up blocking positions. This is a carryover from my old board wargame days.

While I can't prove it, I think it works in SPWaW and forces the AI to react. I think it also worked in TOAW.

Agree re. short scenarios and limited time...then you roll the dice and take your chances.

And given the extremely close quarters action in most Pacific scenarios, don't you hate having to send that first unit out as you hold your breath to see what happens next? Not many games today cause you to cross you fingers...

Redleg -> (1/1/2003 1:47:39 PM)

LOL I sure do not send an 0 unit first!

The anticipation certainly adds to the excitement.

Rankojin -> (1/6/2003 5:34:09 AM)

I asked the same question awhile back, hope the link helps out.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19991&highlight=Jungle+Warfare

Capt. Pixel -> OppFire Zero (1/7/2003 4:32:07 AM)

Before you send your Scouts forward, set their Opp Fire Range to '0'. If a unit's range is greater than that, they have an increased chance of being spotted themselves as they move.

If your unit is fired at, it's Opp Fire range will be reset to that incoming range. Don't forget to reset your Scout's ranges to '0' after getting shot at.

Step one hex at a time and look about at each hex.

Don't move your entire distance. Always leave some movement for fallbacks.

Watch your 'Willy Meter' (the asterisk appearing in the unit status line) to see if anybody is 'watching' you. If you've stepped forward, been seen, and can't see the enemy; use your remaining movement to fallback. On your next advance, you can make a one hex assault move and usually retain your hidden status. :cool:

Redleg -> (1/8/2003 4:15:36 AM)

Some interesting and proven techniques discussed on this thread.

hellcat -> (1/9/2003 12:37:05 AM)

good points here, despite my being awol I fought a few jungle games including a biggie with that sneaky jungle bunker builder M4Jess...

scouts and snipers and fwd obs with weapons off and paradropped behind enemy lines can cause havoc and spot for arty.

Flamethrowers really are worthwhile and you can't have too many.

Split attack force into small groups with one or two fast recon vehicles acting as pathfinders in each group, these groups should be mutually supporting and expect plenty of breakdowns!

Patience is key, advance of only a few hexes may be slow but it really is the only way.

Find points where you can set up AFVs or AT guns with a field of fire (even a few hexes or open provides a jump on the unsuspecting enemy who pops their head out)

smoke infront of bunkers as soon as you spot them (with arty if necessary) then take them out from behind...

most fighting is going to take place up close and personal, choose your units with that in mind...

jungle fighting really is one of the most fun aspects of spwaw!

Orzel Bialy -> Jungle fighting....yuck! (1/9/2003 1:07:51 AM)

:)
Give me a destroyed city instead! Lots and Lots of destroyed buildings with rubble, fire and smoke everywhere.
Although the only major difference is the scenery...the tactics for jungle fighting and city busting are very similiar after all.;)

hellcat -> (1/9/2003 1:15:46 AM)

your wish is my command... check ur aol addy bud, you'll find yourself in rubble city soon enough... he he he....

OG_Gleep -> (1/13/2003 1:14:06 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RayM
[B]I have also found myself using the"indirect approach" in combat as it relates to maneuvering in and around and behind enemy positions to set up blocking positions. This is a carryover from my old board wargame days.

While I can't prove it, I think it works in SPWaW and forces the AI to react. I think it also worked in TOAW.

[/B][/QUOTE]

This worked really really well in Combat Mission. I find it really hard to play like I did in CM. I am pretty sure it has to due with the difference in delivery between the two games. I found it much easier to use terrain to mask my approach, and slip units behind enemy lines, out flank the enemy etc etc. I find it really hard to do that in SP. I guess being able to zoom down to tank level, and then use what you are seeing at that moment, and know that is what your tank commander can see, makes it easier to form and execute complicated strategies.

Combat Mission is a great game. Any game in which you can take pages out of that Era's military manuals, and apply them, and have them work is a great game. Its not easy to create a game that plays out that way. Steel Panthers is another one of those games, I just can't figure out how to apply them yet.

RayM -> (1/14/2003 8:51:05 AM)

OG_Gleep:

Don't worry too much. As I have learned over the past few months, it just takes alot of practice and learning from your mistakes to really exploit the best of SPWaW. And being able to replay a scenario and try different approaches is one of the great training benefits of SPWaW in particular.

Ray

hellcat -> (1/14/2003 8:57:09 AM)

fine words indeed! and true enough... M4Jess and I are about to refight a jungle pbem game which should prove an interesting thread (Jess is the japs, I'm playing the commonwealth forces...)

hopefully we'll teach each other a few lessons :D

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI