CFNA (and editor) Question (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design

Grognard -> CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 7:08:15 PM)

Hi All:

Finally reinstalled TOAW3 to my new hard drive (half a terabyte !!) and commenced playing one of my all time fav's CFNA 41-43 (thanks Bob). No problem until I realized I wanted to make one itty-bitty change in the editor which was changing the Ariete Div 8th Bersaglieri Rgt HQ icon from the Mech icon it had to an HQ. I think I'm on good historical ground for doing that but we can argue that point later.
The problem is that upon restarting the (edited/saved-same name) scenario I got an error msg saying I'm playing with the wrong .eqp file and all the recon assault squads are back. No amount of fiddling with renaming/moving files or folders fixes it.

Oh, there was one more change - I added one command group to the HQ.

'sup ?

BTW, here's an unrelated map request. Hopefully, my legacy here will be the Avalanche scenario (Salerno) I've been noodling with for some years now but finding a good source map has been giving me fits. The scale is 1 km/hex and rivers/elevations/towns are no problem as I have an old GDW game map at that scale - but it doesn't show any woods. Thanks for any help.

shunwick -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 7:18:23 PM)

Grognard,

Ah yes,

You must be careful with the CFNA scenarios. Essentially, what you have created is a scenario that does not have the same name as the graphics folder where the equipment file is kept. The CFNA scenarios deliberately have an internal name that is different from the external name. Simply rename the .sce file to match the graphics folder.

Dear Lord, I hope that makes sense.

Best wishes,
Steve

Grognard -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 7:47:21 PM)

That was some of the aforementioned fiddling done, alas to no avail.
Essentially, I changed the icon and TO&E of one unit and saved with the original .sce name.

Thanks for your incredibly prompt reply.

shunwick -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 7:58:37 PM)

Grognard,

No, you misunderstand. You must save the .sce with the name of the folder in the graphics folder. After you have saved it - then you use rename to change the .sce name. If you saved with the original source name then you changed the internal name of the .sce.

If it is the Campaign For North Africa 41-43 scenario then you need to save it from the editor as Campaign For North Africa 41-43 v.11.0 but if it is 41N-43 then it must be Campaign For North Africa 41N-43 v.8.0

Just carried out the changes you specified. Everything works ok for me. Please be advised, formations with multiple HQs (particularly if they have command squads and/or support squads are not liked by TOAW. It cannot calculate damage correctly to such units.

Best wishes,
Steve

Grognard -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 9:14:12 PM)

quote:

Please be advised, formations with multiple HQs (particularly if they have command squads and/or support squads are not liked by TOAW. It cannot calculate damage correctly to such units.

Yes I remember seeing that. Thanx for the reminder.
But there are many other formations in CFNA that DO have multiple HQ's. ??

However I think I followed your instructions correctly and still it's erroring. Again I think I did.....
I currently have two scen's in the scenario folder one is "....41-43" the other "....41-43 v.11.0"
When I open either in the editor or ingame I get the error msg.
One observation - in the windows header it only (and always) names the scenario ".....41-43"
regardless if I have renamed it ".....41-43 v.11.0"
Somewhere another scenario name is lurking - where ?

Further - to test stuff - Just installed the game in my program files folder - the previous install was root C:
New Sce. file named "....41-43" .eqp file in graphics folder named "....41-43 v.11.0" and this works. Copied new sce to old folder (overwrote) - this works - replicated the edit (actually only the icon change) and saved the game twice - once as 41-43 and one as v.11.0 - neither works

shunwick -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 9:27:57 PM)

The hidden portion of the .sce name is from either 3.1 or 3.2, I can't remember which, but it allows designers a limited version control mechanism. As long as the version number begins v. then it will not show up in either the editor or the game.

Yes, there are formations with multiple HQs but they do not use the HQ icon.

If you have a scenario named Campaign For North Africa 41-43 v.11.0 AND you have a folder in the graphics folder named the same AND you are still getting a wrong database message then it means that the internal name of the scenario is different from the filename. Simply load the scenario back into the editor. Ignore the wrong database message. Save the scenario as Campaign For North Africa 41-43 v.11.0

After that, you can rename the filename to Campaign For North Africa 41-43.

If that does not work the best advice I can give you is to start over again. Please tell me that you did not overwrite the original scenario. If you have don't worry I can send you the original by email.

Best wishes,
Steve

Grognard -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 9:39:13 PM)

pls see edited post above - can always reinstall game but thanks much
However if you're in an e-mailing mode how about the 3.5 patch[:D]

quote:

Yes, there are formations with multiple HQs but they do not use the HQ icon.

Actually they do - 15th and 21st Pz, 90th Light Inf have a couple or 3 each - Trento Div also....

shunwick -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 9:49:12 PM)

Ok. Read your edited post. Now you have confused the hell out of me.

Re multiple hqs, the only dodgy one is 21st Panzer because 5th Light has command squads and support squads.

As for 3.5 --- I wish.

Grognard -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/3/2013 11:32:48 PM)

quote:

Sorry 'bout that - I did a fresh install of the game again in a different folder so as to have a (clean) reference copy. This is where all worked nonedited. I copied the new (clean) .sce from here to the old game and it worked nonedited. Did my edit (icon only) on this .sce (in the old game) and saved twice - once with 41-43 and once with 41-43 v.11.0 - and neither worked.

I'll search the forum now and see what I can learn about .eqp files
Thanks and regards

Curtis Lemay -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/4/2013 3:47:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Re multiple hqs, the only dodgy one is 21st Panzer because 5th Light has command squads and support squads.

The game only gets confused if the HQs are on the map at the same time - so there is no issue between the 21st Panzer and 5th Light HQs. However, the kampfgroupen HQs are a screw-up on my part, and do muck up the operation of the command & supply squads in the German divisions (and the Trento division). I'll have to rethink that.

Curtis Lemay -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/4/2013 3:50:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grognard

quote:

Sorry 'bout that - I did a fresh install of the game again in a different folder so as to have a (clean) reference copy. This is where all worked nonedited. I copied the new (clean) .sce from here to the old game and it worked nonedited. Did my edit (icon only) on this .sce (in the old game) and saved twice - once with 41-43 and once with 41-43 v.11.0 - and neither worked.

I'll search the forum now and see what I can learn about .eqp files
Thanks and regards

There's no need to try and duplicate the screwy way I named the files. You should just leave them alone and make a new set of names for your mod. Gotta get the scenario, graphics sub-folder, and equipment file names the same. If this still doesn't work, post us a screenshot of the appropriate area of your graphic folder and we might be able to figure out what the issue is.

shunwick -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/4/2013 9:50:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: shunwick

The game only gets confused if the HQs are on the map at the same time - so there is no issue between the 21st Panzer and 5th Light HQs. However, the kampfgroupen HQs are a screw-up on my part, and do muck up the operation of the command & supply squads in the German divisions (and the Trento division). I'll have to rethink that.

Bob,

Thanks for clearing that up.

Best wishes,
Steve

Grognard -> RE: CFNA (and editor) Question (4/7/2013 4:19:03 PM)

Back after some RL stuff......

OK - I copied ALL pertinent files to a temp folder and renamed all the files to CFNA 3.
Moved them back to the appropriate game folders and commenced editing all the KG, Rgt HQ's and Arty ARKO's into their own individual formations.

Am happy to report Alles in Ordnung

I would also like to iterate the request from my first post regarding a good map for the Salerno landings.

Thanks for all the help - present and future.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI