Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

MineSweeper -> Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/7/2013 10:20:37 PM)

I put these on the Hiryu....took a bit of time to get them carrier trained, but I like there range.[:)]

[image]local://upfiles/22347/183F3B4416DE44029905AC3C0FF9F975.jpg[/image]

Terminus -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/7/2013 11:03:43 PM)

Potentially useful, but I'm not happy with the berth spaces they take away from planes that can actually kill things.

spence -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/8/2013 12:32:21 AM)

quote:

Potentially useful, but I'm not happy with the berth spaces they take away from planes that can actually kill things.

So Admiral Nagumo, how'd that work for you at Midway?

Chickenboy -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/8/2013 2:00:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

I put these on the Hiryu....took a bit of time to get them carrier trained, but I like there range.[:)]

Setting them on range =21 is probably overkill. There's a hard coded limit to naval search, probably 12-14 hexes IIRC. Plus, I'd keep them on 'normal' range regardless to limit OPS losses. Similarly, you may want to back off of an 80% search order-they will tire out very quickly and give you lots of OPS losses at that pace.

MineSweeper -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/8/2013 2:22:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MineSweeper

Setting them on range =21 is probably overkill. There's a hard coded limit to naval search, probably 12-14 hexes IIRC. Plus, I'd keep them on 'normal' range regardless to limit OPS losses. Similarly, you may want to back off of an 80% search order-they will tire out very quickly and give you lots of OPS losses at that pace.

You are correct CB, I usually set them 10-15 hexes depending on the situation (just wanted to show the folks the 21 max range) [;)]

AW1Steve -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/8/2013 2:25:08 AM)

I could see this being VERY useful , not in a search function, but for Recon. You could Recon an intended target while well out of most strike planes range , one could tell if the target is worth hitting before committing a strike. And as a search function , one could set it on a single sector search for long distance search where you are going to reduce the chance of "stumbling" into a CV ambush.

kevin_hx -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/8/2013 4:10:41 AM)

Is there a hard coded limit to naval search in 12-14 hexes ?

FDRLincoln -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/8/2013 4:45:34 AM)

I've done the same thing, though my unit is based on Shokaku, my thinking that I would put such a specialized unit on the largest and most modern CV platform.

crsutton -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/8/2013 6:39:37 PM)

Yes, can be useful. Especially with a raiding force. The Allies get an excellent long range wildcat that comes with a camera. It is their best early war recon asset. But they only get a few and sadly they cannot operate off of carriers.

jmalter -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/8/2013 6:50:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevin_hx

I don't think there's a limit, but the probability of detecting a TF nose-dives beyond 12 hexes.

Cavalry Corp -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/10/2013 2:55:46 PM)

Most of them break down into 3 plane units or similar - very useful for long range recon of intended targets.

witpqs -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/10/2013 3:14:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevin_hx

I don't think there's a limit, but the probability of detecting a TF nose-dives beyond 12 hexes.

That's what the developers have said. I have had search find things at longer ranges, but not so much as closer.

topeverest -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/11/2013 11:48:02 PM)

F4F7 cant go on carriers?

Alfred -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/12/2013 4:06:18 AM)

The F4F-7 Wildcat is not a carrier capable plane.

Alfred

slpatgun -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/12/2013 5:20:18 AM)

Everything I have read has said the F4F-7 was carrier capable. It was unamored and didn't have selfselling fuel tanks. it was not liked by the pilots and was 9 times out of 10 left in port. ( Read it in "The First Team" by John B. Lundstrom )

slpatgun -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/15/2013 5:55:18 AM)

bump

Treetop64 -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/15/2013 6:47:20 AM)

Someone said something about occupying the flight deck and hangar space only with aircraft that can actually kill something. I second that.

packerpete -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/15/2013 10:21:14 PM)

I thought that it was carrier capable. However, the deck pretty much had to be completely clear of aircraft because the aircraft was so underpowered with a full fuel load that it required an extremely long deck run and/or very favorable wind over the deck conditions depending on its fuel load.

I also can't blame the pilots for not wanting to fly an armed and unarmored flying gas tank for up to 24 hours unsupported in enemy controlled territory.

John 3rd -> RE: Specialized Search Planes on Carriers (4/16/2013 2:22:51 AM)

We made them CV capable for the US in Reluctant Admiral. I think we created a dozen or so small detachments for the Allied cause.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI