Shock Attack Usage (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

Simonsez -> Shock Attack Usage (4/11/2013 4:43:00 PM)

Medium Term Lurker and currently playing my first game as Japan against the AI in Scen 1 - (only on 1/12/42 turn so very early still and still fun for Japan)[:D].

I've read (and follow several active) many of the AAR's, searched and reviewed the discussions on forced shock attacks (atolls, river crossings, para drops - etc.) but am curious if there is a barometer for when to use a shock attack on purpose? Obviously, you wouldn't use one against a target that had resources or industry you wanted to capture, but is there any rule of thumb regarding when to purposely use a shock attack?

My thoughts on this would be to use it when you have overwhelming numbers and through some sort of recon (bombardment attack or deliberate attack) you have determined that the defensive forts are "minor" - say maybe 3 or less?

Are there any thoughts on this? Are the game mechanics involved some sort of AV bonus to the shock attacker on the up side and more disruptions and losses on the downside? (Apologize in advance if the mechanics are illuminated in the manual - I failed to review that before posting here - note to self....)

Curious as to how experienced players use this feature. I have yet to use a shock attack in game as deliberate attacks are allowing me for the most part to maintain the pace I am comfortable with. I am probably not being aggressive enough, but against the base AI, I don't think that matters much.

Regards,

Simonsez

topeverest -> RE: Shock Attack Usage (4/11/2013 11:41:50 PM)

I dont use shock attack when I already am going to win a one-sided battle, except when I have plenty of supply and support units for follow-on. I think it dings your disruption too much and fatigue to use when you dont need it.

IMHO, shock is best used when you dont have the required 2 to 1 on deliberate attack, but probably do on shock. Your casualties probably will be heavy though. As a general tip, recon target hex by air, bombard attack to determine approximate forces, then deliberate or shock as needed with air or naval support.

Be warned, a failed shock attack usually means the attacking units are toast / ripe for counterattack.

rms1pa -> RE: Shock Attack Usage (4/12/2013 4:07:12 PM)

shock is also useful when you have tanks and the defenders have no/almost no AT capacity. clear terrain helps.

rms/pa

John Lansford -> RE: Shock Attack Usage (4/14/2013 2:03:01 PM)

I'd also be concerned about any fortifications the defense has. If you don't have combat engineers with the assaulting units, even a level or two of forts will ruin a shock attack. It's possible to take a hex with a shock attack when the defense is dug in, but you'll need a LOT of force to get away with it, and you will still take a bunch of casualties unless the defense is very low on supplies.

Simonsez -> RE: Shock Attack Usage (4/16/2013 7:54:32 PM)

Thanks for the replies and for confirming many of my suspicions. I've recently delivered several additional Japanese tank/recon units to the front lines in China and will see how that works out in the clear terrain. I usually soften up with some airstrikes in advance and would think the combination would wreck havoc amongst the Chinese levies.

Over and Out!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI