Is UV a beta test of WITP? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

BigJoe417 -> Is UV a beta test of WITP? (1/3/2003 2:22:06 AM)

Looking at the screenshots and descriptions of WITP it appears that this new game WITP looks a great deal like UV. It looks like the only differences are new maps and new nationalities. It looks like what I thought UV was going to be when I bought it.
While playing and greatly enjoying UV I have often thought that it would have been a much better game had they included some different maps and perhaps some brittish ships. To me, it looks as though all of us who bought UV are paying Matrix to let us be beta testers for WITP. But then again I could be wrong. In any event I am really enjoying UV and so my money was well spent.

http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/WarInThePacific/screenshots.asp

Feinder -> (1/3/2003 2:47:39 AM)

Essentially, "yes".

WitP will run on the same engine as UV. The scale is different, with 60-mile hexes instead of 30. But they're basically taking what they're learning from UV, integrating it into WitP.

Some might squawk that they're paying for a beta. No, with UV they're playing an EXCELLENT stand-alone game. Think of WitP as an "expansion kit" (that happens to be bigger than it's predecessor) that is also a stand alone game.

Bur you'll notice there are quite a few aircraft in the reference areas of UV that never make an appearence in UV (such as the F2A Buffalos among others).

-F-

BigJoe417 -> (1/3/2003 3:29:25 AM)

Hello Feinder,

Yes I agree with you. Excellent game.
It does have a pretty big learning curve though. But a great game indeed.

Maybe Matrix should give all registered owners of UV an upgrade price to upgrade to WITP?

Spooky -> (1/3/2003 3:39:36 AM)

Well, there are a few british ships in UV (at least a CV) :D

However, since WITP and UV share the same combat computations, many WITP improvements in these areas are then retrofitted in UV :) I am not sure we would have seen so many "enhancements" patches without 2by3 & Matrix working on WITP ...

BigJoe417 -> (1/3/2003 3:42:02 AM)

Hello Spooky,

Another excellent point! Research and development for the new game has certainly benefited all UV owners.

Admiral DadMan -> (1/3/2003 3:54:07 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Feinder
[B]...Bur you'll notice there are quite a few aircraft in the reference areas of UV that never make an appearence in UV (such as the F2A Buffalos among others).

-F- [/B][/QUOTE]But the F2A [I]is[/I] in the database when you look at the editor...

(I only have one definition of "is" :).)

Yamamoto -> (1/3/2003 4:51:11 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Admiral DadMan
[B]But the F2A [I]is[/I] in the database when you look at the editor...

[/B][/QUOTE]

So are some Russian planes, but they don't work in the game (apparently there is no graphic for them.)

Yamamoto

siRkid -> (1/3/2003 7:15:18 AM)

First, I must make it clear that I am not speaking for Matrix or 2By3 this is strictly my own opinion.

Think of UV as a proof of concept for WITP. Not only did it provide the engine that will drive WITP but it also proved there was a market out there for a turn-based war game of this type. With all the RTS and FPS games out there making a turn based game is risky.

Rick

BigJoe417 -> (1/3/2003 7:29:46 AM)

Hello Kid,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I hear what you're saying and I understand. It seems when I look over all the games Matrix has for sale and under development that they are all turn based games. Or am I wrong?

How does one get to be a member of the WITP test team?

Ross Moorhouse -> (1/3/2003 7:37:18 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BigJoe417
[B]Hello Kid,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I hear what you're saying and I understand. It seems when I look over all the games Matrix has for sale and under development that they are all turn based games. Or am I wrong?

How does one get to be a member of the WITP test team? [/B][/QUOTE]

If and when we do a call for testers you can apply that way. We dont take testers till then. Also not everyone gets selected as a tester that applies.

Is UV a beta for WitP? No its a stand alone game. Its a final product. We would never sell a beta of something. WitP could be better termed as UVs bigger brother. far bigger.

siRkid -> (1/3/2003 7:40:48 AM)

From Matrix Product Page

Starships Unlimited combines the flow of real-time strategy games with the detailed control of turn-based games.

Firefight - Real Time World War II Tactical Warfare

Close Assault: Code of Honor - Real Time Action Packed Squad Combat in the Pacific

BigJoe417 -> (1/3/2003 8:42:26 AM)

Hi Kid, thanks I'll check those games out!

Ross, I understand that WITP is the big brother of UV.
And that now you know there is a market for such a game you can put more resources into making another one.
I really enjoy UV and I'm looking forward to WITP.
I know UV is not a beta game. I appreciate all the updates.
I wish UV had some different maps in it so I could fight the battle of Leyte Gulf or Midway for example. But maybe thats going to be in WITP or the next game. I look forward to buying those and supporting an innovative company like Matrix.

Did you get my PM about my game idea for UV/WITP?

Thanks again,
Joe

OG_Gleep -> (1/3/2003 9:02:34 AM)

Even if it was, there is a president for it. I have paid for far worse games that were actually betas for "the cash cow". *cough*Realm*cough*.

CapAndGown -> (1/3/2003 1:11:56 PM)

You are not going to find a more balanced theater or time period in the Pacific than the Solomons/New Guinea campaign, what Morrison terms, Breaking the Bismarks Barrier. I bought this game because I was interested in this theater specifically. WitP actually hold much less interest for me. I do not see a problem with this being a stand alone game, and in fact and somewhat amazed that no one seems to think this game is worth anything as other than a test bed for WitP. I must be the only person around who thinks that this is an excellent theater and scale and that something bigger would actually be less enjoyable.

Scotty -> (1/3/2003 2:25:44 PM)

Cap_and_Gown, I feel the same way. I never enjoyed PacWar as much as I did GG's Guadalcanal Campaign (even with all it's flaws). While I will definitely purchase WitP, I know that I will always gravitate back to UV. Guess that means we'll be playing UV PBEM against each other 'til we're old and gray and everyone else has moved on. :D

mapr -> (1/3/2003 3:13:31 PM)

No, you are not alone. I'll try WitP anyway and really hope that it's going be good. Not sure that if it can be better than UV, or that UV can be better game than WitP going to be... It's gonna be different game with different set of problems and I'll presume( I am so smart) that WitP is much more operational level game than UV with 60 mile hexes and larger area. etc.

denisonh -> (1/3/2003 3:56:11 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cap_and_gown
[B]You are not going to find a more balanced theater or time period in the Pacific than the Solomons/New Guinea campaign, what Morrison terms, Breaking the Bismarks Barrier. I bought this game because I was interested in this theater specifically. WitP actually hold much less interest for me. I do not see a problem with this being a stand alone game, and in fact and somewhat amazed that no one seems to think this game is worth anything as other than a test bed for WitP. I must be the only person around who thinks that this is an excellent theater and scale and that something bigger would actually be less enjoyable. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am with you Cap and Gown.

Yes, I liked PacWar, but UV is much more manageable and much more fun. I don't relish the idea of playing a campaign of WitP by 1 day turns!

I think it is going to be difficult to get me away from UV to play WitP! (Based on the PBEM games I have going now, I won't be finished until after WitP is released!)

BigJoe417 -> (1/3/2003 4:24:04 PM)

Interesting points concerning scale of play. I like the scale of play in UV and if you're saying you have concerns that a larger scale might be unmanagable that could be so. Maybe not. We'll have to see. Looks like these guys are very good at what they do and I have no doubt WITP will be another game which keeps me from seeing the light of day when I get it. I do like UV as I've played it nonstop since buying it a week or so ago. I mean nonstop 5,6 hours a day sometimes every single day of the week! It makes me think that I would love to play this game system with other maps though. Same scale, different maps. For instance the battle of Leyte Gulf could be a game in itself. My biggest concern with UV and WITP when it comes out is how I can force myself to only play it an hour a day so I can go on with the rest of my life! Heheheh. Wish me luck!

siRkid -> (1/3/2003 6:51:51 PM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cap_and_gown
[B]You are not going to find a more balanced theater or time period in the Pacific than the Solomons/New Guinea campaign, what Morrison terms, Breaking the Bismarks Barrier. I bought this game because I was interested in this theater specifically. WitP actually hold much less interest for me. I do not see a problem with this being a stand alone game, and in fact and somewhat amazed that no one seems to think this game is worth anything as other than a test bed for WitP. I must be the only person around who thinks that this is an excellent theater and scale and that something bigger would actually be less enjoyable. [/B][/QUOTE]

I am amazed that my post was interpreted this way.:confused:

First, off I've posted in other threads that this is the best computer game I have ever played and I've been playing them for over 25 years.

Second, I also said that UV will have a long shelf life even after WITP comes out.

My comment was an attempt to complement Matrix and 2By3 on their excellent marketing strategy. Think about this. They chose to make a game that had great appeal to many war gamers and could stand on its on as one of the greatest war games of all time but they keep their eye on an ever greater goal, WITP. Most follow on games are more of the same old same old or are totally revamped as to not be recognizable from the original. WITP will be very easy for UV players to learn because most of the game mechanics are the same, but when you throw in production and the vast scale you get a totally new experience.

I can foresee that I will have several UV and WITP PBEM games going on at the same time for many years to come.:D

Rick

Feinder -> (1/3/2003 8:56:49 PM)

I'll also re-chime in here. I think UV is an excellent, stand-alone, game (I believe I said that already *grin*).

While I think that WitP will be mind-boggling at first (just like UV was for most of us), I think it will be quite managable once you get the hang of it. The old PacWar game was similar. We all bought it, and went thru 4 phases :

1. "Oh my gawd! This is so f-ing cool! There's like, every frickin' ship here!"
2. "Oh my gawd! My brain is goona explode! I can't possible keep track of all this!"
3. Hm. If I don't say "Oh my gawd!" so much and just and take things calmly and deliberately, it all actually makes sense."
4. "Oh my gawd! This is so f-ing cool! There's like, every frickin' ship here! And I can actually manage them all this time!"

I'm expecting that many of us will have the same reactions to WitP. Seeing as I really only have time to play one PBEM game at a time, and that promises to be occupied by my brother for the next while, and then we'll have to try WitP, who knows which one we'll play. I can say "Most likely, WitP" just because we like the large epic battles. But again, as Admiral was saying, many people are not going to be as inclined to play WitP simply because they're more interested in the focus of Guadalcanal and the New Guinea campain.

I think the release of UV has been great for WitP. Matrix has been able to both test the market and refine their engine. As gamers, we've all seen, and been very frustrated with bug-ridden games. UV has been exceptional from the start, and with all that Matrix has learned from UV, it promises a well-refined engine for WitP. Through UV and and WitP, Matrix will be able to provide to gamers, options to suit their needs by offering 2 sides of a very shiney coin.

Regards,
-F-

XPav -> (1/7/2003 10:25:37 AM)

My take:

WiTP will be too big for me to like. Micromanagement in UV is bearable.

Without retrofitting some rather major helpers onto the thing and streamlining the user interface in places, I think that WiTP will just end up irritating me.

I play many types of games.
I program for a living.

It is possible to make a complicated game easy to use.

2by3 hasn't yet shown this skill, but we, of course, have to wait until WiTP is released. I hope I'm surprised. :-)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI