Galaxy Starting configuration (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room

kfoelsch -> Galaxy Starting configuration (6/16/2013 5:14:14 PM)

How do you configure your galaxy and why? I'm noticing that if you play a tech heavy race and slow tech development down, even the extreme level of difficulty is pretty easy (as you'll beat everyone else to colonizing and hyper drives).

Having lots of pirates with a harsh starting system seems to be a game over before it starts scenario, because you don't start with enough economy to fend off pirate attacks...

kfoelsch -> RE: Galaxy Starting configuration (6/18/2013 3:40:00 AM)

I've been playing around with starting off in a harsh system, but I don't find it very viable on higher levels of difficulty. If you start with a tech heavy race, you can tech it up, but you just don't have an economy worth beans. With an economic heavy race, you can get your economy going but then the tech heavy races are already out expanding you pretty badly by the time you're out of your home system.

I really like the idea story wise of getting out of a harsh home system and finding a new and better world to be your new capital. However, the game doesn't make this very viable, at least at higher levels of difficulty.

I'd really like to have separate sliders for starting population and overall system viability... That would make things more interesting for this kind of scenario.

kfoelsch -> RE: Galaxy Starting configuration (7/10/2013 4:18:54 PM)

What settings do people like the most?

I find that irregular galaxies seem to offer the most balanced start up scenario. You're still at the whims of how good an original system you get of course...

Starke -> RE: Galaxy Starting configuration (7/10/2013 6:14:32 PM)

The settings I'm enjoying right now are, if I can recall them correctly:

-irregular galaxy, for unpredictability/replayability
-6x6 sectors, 400 stars, 13 other empires
-Age of Shadows/PreWarp start for all empires
-pirates to normal, pirates do not respawn - too many of them already!
space creatures off - because pirates
-aggression to chaos - the pirate threat keeps empire vs. empire conflict at bay long enough for empires to get to know each other
-difficulty to extreme - because I didn't notice much of a difference from normal at the middling difficulties
-research to expensive - a good compromise between realism/whatever and getting needed unlocks in a timely manner
-influence range set to recommended and colonization limits set to 1.75 sectors
-colonizable planets set to normal, independent settlements set to scattered, graduation to full empire off - colonies should be limited, independents should be like gold dust
-corruption to normal - I have enough worries as it is
- storylines off, random events on
-victory conditions to 85%, apply after 35 years, racial conditions on - 80% always seemed a bit little to me

lol, so many settings in this game!

Icemania -> RE: Galaxy Starting configuration (7/12/2013 3:50:42 PM)

kfoelsch, it is still very viable to recover and win on Extreme Difficulty game with a Harsh homeworld. As you've said Extreme difficulty is still easy, Harsh homeworld can help make the game a little more interesting.

For example try this.

Build nothing and focus early on population growth until maximum with some troops to stay in the game. You'll get raided. The pirates will laugh at you. About 15 years or so later you'll get to Maximum Population. Then build up as usual and when ready go hard for an enemy homeworld and so on.

I found it fun entering a galaxy where I was well behind on empire expansion with pirates that had already built up etc.

kfoelsch -> RE: Galaxy Starting configuration (7/18/2013 2:58:25 PM)

I'm sure you can still win on extreme difficulty with a harsh starting world... Not my idea of a good time however :)

Lately I've been playing irregular clusters with no pirates, and a great home system.

Anyone played around with customizing their own race? I created a custom race where I averaged the Securans and the Q-tech folk, giving them access to Utopia, although once I'm at max pop at the homeworld, I usually switch them to democracy.

Icemania -> RE: Galaxy Starting configuration (7/18/2013 3:42:52 PM)

I must admit to only playing that particular way once, in search of a more difficult game, but ended up a test of persistence only!

I don't play a custom race, but have changed the biases file to be significantly more negative to the race I play, inspired by Darkspire.

Plant -> RE: Galaxy Starting configuration (7/20/2013 4:05:44 PM)

I like playing on Irregular as well, though sometimes I play Spiral, but only for the larger star count galaxies. I've also found that for smaller galaxies, you should turn down the influence range less than recommended, otherwise you claim a bit too many systems from your homeworld at the start.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI