RE: AEGOD (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

jwarrenw13 -> RE: AEGOD (6/21/2013 2:34:00 AM)

[/quote]

It's not really a wargame which is why it has fallen a little short of what we all hoped. Too many turns where all you do is look at the level of money and supply, shrug, then click next turn again.

And for the people that have slow turns, I have only experienced slow turns (30 seconds to a minute) on PoN. And for many of the turns just shrugging and clicking next turn, that becomes a little monotonous.
[/quote]

That is really what I meant by slow, not the slow turns, but what to me seems slow, tedious play.

dougo33 -> RE: AEGOD (6/21/2013 2:40:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

I've never found the AGEOD interface difficult, and I enjoy the AGE system and the games, most of them. I drew the line at PON. It was simply too complex and slow for my tastes and maybe stretched the engine too far. I think the idea as in for example AJE/BOR of armies operating in space without continuous lines and with the possibilities of surprises every turn is quite realistic. What I sense is more a matter of personal preference or tastes than anything else, though I think the AGEOD games are different and require getting used to. But that is just my opinion.

I really tried to like PoN since I am a fan of Victoria 2 and that era. The game is very complex, but is manageable. It took me a few games to wrap my head around the game, but I was really liking it. I just hated how the game processing slowed down to a crawl the deeper you got into it. Turns took over 5 minutes to process, which I found ridiculous. When turns take that long to process, you tend to lose the flow of a game.

I also agree with the observation by others that the interface needs work in all their games. It takes a while to get used to with all the menus and submenus.

Just my 2 cents [:)]

rodney727 -> RE: AEGOD (6/21/2013 11:07:08 PM)

Just waiting for the iPad version! Then it's on faster than the French army retreated in 1940.
quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

It's a shame you wussed out on the game challenge you issued me rogo, I would've enjoyed giving you a "digital" thrashing.[;)]

KG Erwin -> RE: AEGOD (6/22/2013 12:55:41 AM)

It took me a couple of years to get into AGEOD's gaming system, but now BOA2 is one of my favorites. I stil think that the game map is one of the best, and it's a rare thing for me to be able to play out a wargame over the area in which I presently live. In the 1750s West Virginia was Indian country, and with the mountains and forestry, is primarily left alone. Funny how some things never change , except that the red Indians have been replaced by redneck whites. [:D]

Seriously, though, my favorite campaign scenario of BOA2 is "For a Few Acres of Snow", which is the entire French & Indian War (1755-1763). It still seems strange that young George Washington's greatest ambition at the time was to become a British officer. Even then, however, the toughest part of the British commanders' jobs was to handle the American colonial troops and their Indian allies. It was definitely an uneasy alliance. The future creation of the USA was preordained after this war. It's a fascinating scenario to play out.

jwarrenw13 -> RE: AEGOD (6/22/2013 4:12:05 PM)

One "problem" with AGEOD games is that the play is so different from most other wargames. I'm not talking about PON, but the other less complex games. I said above I think PON is too complex and tedious, but then I don't like any really complex grognard style game, and PON is the grognard AGEOD game. I'm not talking about the interface. I'm talking about the feeling that you have to get in and move pieces toward some immediate goal and that combat should occur immediately and regularly and repeatedly. Patience is a virtue in these games. Sometimes the best plan for a turn is to do nothing. Sometimes you spend several turns setting up something, and then it doesn't happen because the damned AI doesn't cooperate with your plans. The WEGO aspect of the game also takes some getting used to. In fact you can almost call the games -- sorry Matrix and AGEOD, because this might not be how you want to describe it -- real time programmed pause. You set your plan for a turn, and then everyone moves and things happen. There is also lots of space and usually few units, though that varies depending on the game. So your decisions regarding one or two units after 15 or 20 turns might decide the entire game. I find that this is very realistic in any pre-modern (without continuous lines) situation. But I repeat that this is just my opinion, and it is just a matter of taste. I find some of Matrix's most popular games, based on the forum, to be boring. I know they are good, but I still don't enjoy them. For example, the Panzer Corps series and Scourge of War series. I just don't enjoy them. I would also have to add AGEOD's Civil War game on reflection. I prefer Gary Grisby's War Between the States, which I think is a great game, but apparently wasn't as popular as the AGEOD game and Forge of Freedom. I know I'm rambling, but back to my first point, you have to have patience if you play an AGEOD game and visualize the map and the overall situation and what the enemy might be planning to do. I think the system overall is excellent.

Rtwfreak -> RE: AEGOD (6/22/2013 5:24:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

Never could get used to their interface.

Same here or the combat results screen.

sushidog -> RE: AEGOD (5/21/2014 10:41:49 PM)

The unit manipulation is fiddly. But the maps drive me crazy. What some posters find beautiful, I find just too colourful. Too much colour, not enough easy to recognize information.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: AEGOD (5/21/2014 10:55:08 PM)

I'm in the same boat as the OP. I own just about all of them too but I just can't get into the playstyle. I've gotten to used to SPWAW and Combat Mission and Panzer Command and Norbsofts Civilwar games and Command Ops. Since they won't update SPWAW it's losing ground as the icons aren't as exciting as they once were. I like Panzer Corp icons but I don't like the game.
If any games are dry and boring to me it's the Ageod games. I really dislike the combat results.

DanSez -> RE: AEGOD (5/21/2014 11:30:52 PM)

I prefer WEGO games over IGOUG as it adds a certain level of surprise in the move and attack.

Revolutions Under Siege is a very interesting game. I have played many hours and enjoyed it greatly.

I agree that BOA2 is a good game to learn AGEOD's supply/move/battle system.
Their PBEM system is easy to implement but lacks security. That hasn't been a problem in my experience so far but it is a complaint I have heard mentioned.

I wish them all the best with their new Great War game.

KG Erwin -> RE: AEGOD (5/23/2014 12:27:10 AM)

To really appreciate AGEOD's game system (I'm speaking specifically of BOA2), one needs to read a book about the conditions the real commanders had to fight under. My number one choice for the French & Indian War is Fred Anderson's magnificent "Crucible of War". So, a bit of study and pre-preparation is absolutely necessary. Also, read the game manual cover to cover. Like I said earlier, it took me a few years to get comfortable with the system, but it's been time well-spent.

Birth of America 2 is a great game with an excellent AI.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI