protection treaties are easily exploitable (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

soulfreezer -> protection treaties are easily exploitable (6/19/2013 3:41:32 PM)

With the current protection treaty mechanic it's quite easy to stop pirates from attacking without paying large sums of protection money. Everytime something important gets attacked you can start a protection treaty with the attacking pirates, the pirate ships will always stop the attack immediately and when they leave a few seconds later you can simply cancel the treaty.
The pirates will hate you for breaking all those protection treaties, but that doesn't seem to matter, they'll still sign a new protection treaty with your empire everytime you want.

And protection treaties make it really easy to kill or capture pirate construction/colony ships. Give a fleet the order to move to the target ship and sign a protection treaty shortly before the fleet arrives. The pirate ship will not attempt to flee from your "friendly" ships, giving you enough time to move all ships into firing range before canceling the treaty.

Larsenex -> RE: protection treaties are easily exploitable (6/19/2013 4:10:15 PM)

I like this! I approve of the use of breaking treaties with Pirates!

The big question is if you take a reputation hit for doing this (breaking treaties).

dostillevi -> RE: protection treaties are easily exploitable (6/19/2013 4:29:40 PM)

The pirates sure won't like you any, it does give you a hit towards that faction. However they'll still make deals with you. I file this one under "exploits I don't need to use" and play with the philosophy that I'll do it only if I'll have more fun if I do it :)

FerretStyle -> RE: protection treaties are easily exploitable (6/19/2013 5:25:26 PM)

Aren't you required to pay six months worth no matter what? Or does it depend on the amount of time they state when you make the offer?

Wish I could say exactly how it works, but it seems like weak pirates ask for monthly payments but more established factions ask for a larger up-front payment.

elanaagain -> RE: protection treaties are easily exploitable (6/19/2013 5:34:49 PM)

what!!!! you would actually **exploit** a pirate? (smile)

ASHBERY76 -> RE: protection treaties are easily exploitable (6/19/2013 6:42:31 PM)

The out of sync economy is where most of the blame lies.If the protection treaties cost was relevant to your economy if would not be so easy to manipulate them at your whim.

Shark7 -> RE: protection treaties are easily exploitable (6/19/2013 10:27:42 PM)

The pirates break the treaty whenever they feel like it as it is. Also, you can cancel the agreements anytime you like. Not sure I'm seeing the exploit here. As far as them stopping the attack, the whole point in having protection is to extort money from you...it costs you money to get them to stop, or you lose ships and bases that cost you money.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI