RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

catwhoorg -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/12/2013 8:48:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bo Rearguard

Another addition to the carrier building club. India just launched it's first home built carrier--the Vikrant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-23674627

In 2010, the World Bank reported that 32.7% of the total Indian people fall below the international poverty line of US$ 1.25 per day (PPP) while 68.7% live on less than US$ 2 per day... but of course, they need a fleet of expensive carriers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_India
warspite1

They also have a space program.....

And a Nuclear program ...

geofflambert -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/12/2013 8:52:34 PM)

Who needs carriers? I just have a shopping cart I keep all my stuff in.

warspite1 -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/12/2013 9:09:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

quote:

quote:

quote:

Another addition to the carrier building club. India just launched it's first home built carrier--the Vikrant.

In 2010, the World Bank reported that 32.7% of the total Indian people fall below the international poverty line of US$ 1.25 per day (PPP) while 68.7% live on less than US$ 2 per day... but of course, they need a fleet of expensive carriers

warspite1

Warspite1

And yet, in the lifetime of the current parliament, the UK will give 1bn in aid to the country.....

Funny old game isn't it?

Lokasenna -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/12/2013 9:31:48 PM)

They need those expensive programs so that the common (poor) people can be motivated by national pride and work harder, lifting themselves out of poverty! It works like magic!

PS - what's the designated sarcasm font color around here? There should be one. I nominate this one, the last "red" on the color list.

geofflambert -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/12/2013 9:49:28 PM)

Oh, that's so hot Lokasenna.

Lokasenna -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/12/2013 10:08:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Oh, that's so hot Lokasenna.

I like yours. Easier to see.

Canoerebel -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/12/2013 10:08:22 PM)

[Edited: To omit comment.]

geofflambert -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 1:33:30 AM)

We will never know what Canoerebel's sarcastic color is.[:'(]

Canoerebel -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 2:46:41 AM)

My comment was that this thread has become something absurdely off topic and off limits. [:)]

geofflambert -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 3:17:45 AM)

I think his sarcastic color is black. Don't tell anyone.

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 3:18:43 AM)

an off topic thread that goes off topic [:D]

I personally don't think this is as bad as if it was a game related topic

geofflambert -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 3:41:41 AM)

I resent your implication. I can be every bit as ignorant on-topic as off.

catwhoorg -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 12:19:56 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Warspite1

And yet, in the lifetime of the current parliament, the UK will give 1bn in aid to the country.....

Funny old game isn't it?

Indeed. Funny old game.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 3:01:22 PM)

Hmmm. What purpose could the Indians have for a carrier other than national pride?

It would make a great place for dance numbers for a Bollywood film but what military purpose?

Seems like naval embargo of Pakistan to me. Maybe ASW duty depending on what kind of aircraft you put aboard.

Who else would they tangle with? China? Nepal? Do they even have a navy?

Also, when do they put the dot on the bow?

catwhoorg -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 3:18:46 PM)

They have had an operational carrier force of some sort since 1961.

The original Vikrant participated in the naval blockade of Pakistan (well the modern day Bangladesh) during the 65 war. Fixed wing jets were the main aircraft.

Viraat (ex HMS Hermes) is more a ASW platform, with some commando/amphib type support. (Helos and Harriers)

The ex Soviet one (Baku, can't recall the Indian name) will carry Mig 29's so is back to more of a force projection.

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 3:30:47 PM)

quote:

The original Vikrant participated in the naval blockade of Pakistan (well the modern day Bangladesh) during the 65 war. Fixed wing jets were the main aircraft.

Viraat (ex HMS Hermes) is more a ASW platform, with some commando/amphib type support. (Helos and Harriers)

The ex Soviet one (Baku, can't recall the Indian name) will carry Mig 29's so is back to more of a force projection.

Interesting. Didn't know all that. Mig 29's are impressive. What will this one carry? Has to be something that could stand up to a Paki F-16.

catwhoorg -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 3:38:44 PM)

Probably Mig-29s and some helos.

Ski-jump assisted takeoff and arrested landing.

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 5:48:13 PM)

Yes, looks very similar to the Gorshkov/ Vikramaditya and should use a similar airgroup
According to Wikipedia:
12 Mikoyan MiG-29K
8 HAL Tejas
10 Kamov Ka-31 or Westland Sea King

warspite1 -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/13/2013 7:15:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

Interesting. Didn't know all that. Mig 29's are impressive. What will this one carry? Has to be something that could stand up to a Paki F-16.
warspite1

Could I respectfully ask you to re-phrase that please Cap? Thank-you.

desicat -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/14/2013 2:04:16 AM)

quote:

Hmmm. What purpose could the Indians have for a carrier other than national pride?

It would make a great place for dance numbers for a Bollywood film but what military purpose?

Seems like naval embargo of Pakistan to me. Maybe ASW duty depending on what kind of aircraft you put aboard.

The Indian Navy has been very active since Independence. They kicked things off with running off the Portuguese fleet during the "liberation" of Goa in 1961 and followedd up with a well executed port attack and blockade of Karachi by CV's in 1971. The Indian Navy has a long reach into the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal, and the Arabian Sea. With the Andaman Islands in the East and several dot islands in the West the Indian Air Force can augment sea power with surveillance, ASW, and missile targeting.

Recently the Indians have participated in Tsunami relief, the Iraq War(s), and anti-piracy operations. The Indians are quite good and are a regional power to be reckoned with. One of the reasons the Chinese have expanded port operations in Myanmar (Burma)- Kyaukpyu and he Great Coco Island.

Bo Rearguard -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/14/2013 2:40:40 AM)

quote:

India has had a carrier since they purchased the former HMS Hercules from Great Britain in 1957. Renamed INS Vikrant, she was commissioned as the first aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy in 1961. After a distinguished service, she was decommissioned in January 1997. She has since been preserved as a maritime museum in Mumbai. She is the only World War II-era British-built aircraft carrier to be preserved as a museum. As catwhoorg and dessicat noted, she was pretty active in the Indo-Pakistani wars.

I guess that makes the new one Vikrant II. They should have come up with something more original like Sikh 'n destroy. [:D]

Bo Rearguard -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/14/2013 1:42:16 PM)

Indian navy goes from highs to lows. A Kilo class sub has blown up in port.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23691324

catwhoorg -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/14/2013 2:12:37 PM)

That sub previously had a fire in the battery compartment (2010), which led to the recent refit.

Hiltibrant -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/15/2013 3:02:32 PM)

Even more interesting - and slightly less OT again - I didn't know that India is building an SSBN?!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INS_Arihant

Cap Mandrake -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/15/2013 7:14:34 PM)

quote:

Indian navy goes from highs to lows. A Kilo class sub has blown up in port.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23691324

Submarines are dangerous, particularly if they are Russian-built. That was an ugly-looking explosion in the video.

I think, if you have the money, you buy a new German diesel-electric.

crsutton -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/16/2013 3:48:35 AM)

Say, have you all heard that there is a new movie out with sharks stuck in a tornado? [8|]

Canoerebel -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/16/2013 3:55:07 AM)

Ack! Yet another obscure statement in the forums! Ross, what're you talking about?

Itdepends -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/16/2013 12:28:53 PM)

Sharknado- a movie I plan to avoid at all costs

Lecivius -> RE: Semi OT: New Izumo is launched... (8/16/2013 2:39:52 PM)

Good grief there is actually a Sharknado II out.

Back on topic, I can fully understand the Japanese need to expand their military capabilities. The Chinese have made no secret of their intention fo broaden it's reach, and they are pushing hard in some areas to gain the significant mineral wealth discovered off shore. If this does not look like the same basic foot print for how the last major war started, I don't know what does. I do hope they learned, but I have small confidence in world leaders anymore.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI