I have a series of VERY large scenarios and possible campaign. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Tombstone -> I have a series of VERY large scenarios and possible campaign. (1/14/2003 1:03:40 PM)

I've been working on a set of scenarios whose maps and forces are based on the 3rd SS PanzerGren Division at Kursk. I have 9 in development and 3 or 4 are more or less complete. One of those is my "North of Psel" scenario that some of you may have played. Last year work was hell and I had no time to work on them. I've been sitting them for a long time now and want to know if there are people out there willing to play-test or even help develop them. I've been using maps from David Glantz's atlas of the battle of Kursk for the scenario maps so they're relatively accurate. Anyways, any takers? Those who were so helpful in the past, please feel free to jump back in.

Tomo

Grenadier -> (1/14/2003 1:13:03 PM)

hey Tomo, glad to see you are back. North of the Psel is a favorite of mine. I could help a little. Have you though of making it all into a campaign. You would have to restrict the core force but it could be done

Tombstone -> (1/14/2003 1:35:57 PM)

Funny you should ask. The scenarios are so big that the core force has to be purchased along pretty strict lines. Well, the option to get whatever you want is always a plus. Anyways, if it works out right the player would have a core force of NINE SS PzGren platoons, a pziv co, a pziii co, a SPA Bn, and some other stuff. I was planning on controlling points to player so they only get to recoup losses at places where they might have some time to. Of the nine scenarios 4 of them are "what if" things had gone better for the germans or if the 2nd SS Pz Corps wasn't withdrawn. The scenarios go like this so far-

#1 Assaulting Front-line taking a little village called Gremuchii
#2 Moving east to secure the flank of 2nd SS Pz Corps
#3 Widening penetration and taking towns along Lipovnyi Donetz
#4 What-if crossing of Lipovnyi Donetz
#5 Banks of the Psel River this is when 3rd SSPzGren changes to secure the left flank of the PzCorps and tries to cross it
#6 Hill 226.2 is the taking of a critical height across Psel
#7 North of the Psel 3rd SSPzGren making the push to it's furthest historical limit.
#8 Vishnaia Ol'shanka What-if scenario around a town to the north of Prokhorovka to take advantage of what is now a successful battle by 1st and 2nd SSPzGren.
#9 another what-if scenario where the previous battles have led to the mass retreat of many soviet mech and armored units. 3rd PzGren get's to interdict the stampede in the scenario I use to explain how 5th Gds Tk army get's hosed enough to stop being a credible threat.

From there I was planning an advance north and west along the Seim river toward Kursk, and finally an attack on the big city itself.

My good map info stops at #8 though, cause nothing detailed happened north of Prokhorovka.

If you wanna take a look, or playtest any of the scenarios, or whatever let me know.

Tomo

mogami -> Time..... (1/15/2003 2:27:14 AM)

Hi, Sounds really interestng. If Jess sends me the game I will make time to test for you (2-3 hours per day...let me see 0300-0600 is empty (yeah). Do you need someone to test from the Russian point of view? Two player?

Voriax -> (1/15/2003 2:37:45 AM)

Hello Tomo

Hmm..North of Psel...sounds very familiar... :)

Didn't I test one scenario for you? At least I've played this one...

Voriax

banditjim -> I could do some testing... (1/15/2003 11:43:25 AM)

I could test solo or would be willing to play PBEM for testing. Send me what you have if you want to take me up on it.

Tombstone -> (1/15/2003 2:22:44 PM)

Yah, I think you did Voriax. North of the Psel is the only scenario that was actually released. In the end, I'd like to see each of the scenarios individually wrapped for single play as Germans, all of them strung together in a campaign (which I'm almost ready for a play test on) and tuned for head to head play in EMail.

My big stumbling block right now as far as the campaign goes is the first scenario. I'm not certain that it's all that good as a first scenario. Is anyone willing to playtest a BIG freaking assault scenario into prepared positions?

Tomo

Voriax -> (1/15/2003 2:30:34 PM)

Send it here..I'm just about to finish playing Stalingrad campaign so I'm in a right state of mind for an assault. :)

Voriax

BryanMelvin -> Re: I have a series of VERY large scenarios and possible campaign. (1/18/2003 10:28:48 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tombstone
[B]I've been working on a set of scenarios whose maps and forces are based on the 3rd SS PanzerGren Division at Kursk. I have 9 in development and 3 or 4 are more or less complete. One of those is my "North of Psel" scenario that some of you may have played. Last year work was hell and I had no time to work on them. I've been sitting them for a long time now and want to know if there are people out there willing to play-test or even help develop them. I've been using maps from David Glantz's atlas of the battle of Kursk for the scenario maps so they're relatively accurate. Anyways, any takers? Those who were so helpful in the past, please feel free to jump back in.

Tomo [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting - what are the max turn a scenario averages?

Tombstone -> (1/18/2003 10:49:20 AM)

30-50 turns. The plan is that the number of turns shouldn't pressure the player to hurry his advance. Organized use of large groups of units is what I'm trying to promote. The Soviets tend to have a lot of artillery (not historical cause of lack of tactical artillery support) to give some incentive to move though. The way these scenarios go they are a lot more deadly than was historical. The point of the campaign would be to challenge the player with a large force with far ranging goals, but with sparse rebuild points. Planning, rather than momentum being important. Coordination, rather than fustest with the mostest. Basically trying to make a challenging large scale experience that promotes non-standard SPWAW behavior.

Tomo

BryanMelvin -> (1/18/2003 10:54:21 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tombstone
[B]30-50 turns. The plan is that the number of turns shouldn't pressure the player to hurry his advance. Organized use of large groups of units is what I'm trying to promote. The Soviets tend to have a lot of artillery (not historical cause of lack of tactical artillery support) to give some incentive to move though. The way these scenarios go they are a lot more deadly than was historical. The point of the campaign would be to challenge the player with a large force with far ranging goals, but with sparse rebuild points. Planning, rather than momentum being important. Coordination, rather than fustest with the mostest. Basically trying to make a challenging large scale experience that promotes non-standard SPWAW behavior.

Tomo [/B][/QUOTE]

Now this does sound good! Idesigned the revised Stalingrad campaign with the same theme! Look forward to seeing it when you have it ready ;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI