Ground attack? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific

Veer -> Ground attack? (1/16/2003 2:16:24 PM)

In my effort to capture PM, i've been launching Ground attack missions with LBA's from Rabaul and Carrier aircraft just south of PM. I also run regular recon missions out of Lae. It's now May 23 and i've been doing this for about 10 days.

There are only two allied infantry units of note at PM - the 112 Base force and an Aus Brigade. Other units include some engineers and a HQ.

What I noticed is, all my ground attacks are directed towards the 112 Base force. None of my attacks so far have targetted the Aus bde. I switched the game to H2H mode and noticed that the 112 Base force has a disruption of 100 and morale in the low 30's, but by contrast the Aus brigade has a disruption of only 25 and quite high morale. Why are all my ground attacks only directed against the 112? Shouldn't some target the Aus Brigade also?

Odin -> Good Question (1/16/2003 5:46:24 PM)

I recognized something like this some time ago.

Can it be that the Brigade is in the hex, but not exactly at the base? Maybe it is marching...just coming in to reinforce PM?

Remember the hexes are 30miles large, place enough to be out of position:)

Drongo -> (1/16/2003 7:38:37 PM)

Unfortunately the UV ground attack routine selects a target for you and, once selected, that appears to be the only target ever attacked at that location.

It has been brought up in the forums before (many times). If you do a search (use something like "ground") and you'll see you're not alone.

Mr.Frag -> (1/16/2003 11:14:20 PM)

[QUOTE]There are only two allied infantry units of note at PM - the 112 Base force and an Aus Brigade. Other units include some engineers and a HQ.[/QUOTE]

Just as I was rather unplesantly surprised, you'll find out that base units, have NO combat strength at all. Consider them as a HQ unit, as they die to 1 squad of grunts when factoring strengths at a location. I found out the hard way loosing 2 Base units that although 2000+ troops, they are all second line troops and don't seem to even fire off their pistols in defence :(

The 30th Aus Brigade and the 96th Engineer Battalion (because they actually have some infantry squads) are the only two combat units that actually have any strength to repell attacks.

When looking at a unit, there are Infantry, Vehicles, Guns, and Second Line Troops. Only the first 3 types are of value.

I feel for you as to the stuck target problem, I have seen it myself and it really gets annoying when it happens to be a no value unit.

Yamamoto -> (1/16/2003 11:58:43 PM)

Set your planes on ground attack but don't specify a target. This will allow them to change targets at the base when the first target's assult strength goes below another unit's assult strength. Of course, the downside to this is that the planes might attack a completely different base.

Yamamoto

mogami -> recon (1/17/2003 12:04:19 AM)

Hi, Also fly plenty of recon to target hex. Detection level of ground units also is part of program deciding what unit to attack. Baseforces are much easier to detect and so get targeted more often unless recon finds better target.

Veer -> suks (1/17/2003 12:04:42 AM)

Ya, that suks. Needs be to changed I think.

Basically it put paid to my efforts to capture PM by blitz attack, following Japans historic 'MO' plans. Now I got the 144 Regt and a couple of Assault Eng units battering away uselessly at PM. I can reinforce, but an enemy AK TF slipped past my blockade (my carriers were out of fuel, and my surface fleet mauled previously) and is reinforcing PM too. Looks like it's going to be along war.....

Just a question... if a base force reaches 100 disruption, does it have any effect? Like does it effect his aviation support any?

Mr.Frag -> (1/17/2003 12:30:48 AM)

[QUOTE]Set your planes on ground attack but don't specify a target. This will allow them to change targets at the base when the first target's assult strength goes below another unit's assult strength. Of course, the downside to this is that the planes might attack a completely different base.[/QUOTE]

You will notice that the unit being attacked has NO Assault strength at all ... This stuck target thing is a known issue that has been mentioned in the Bugs forum that Matrix was going to look into.

Yamamoto -> (1/17/2003 1:44:35 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr.Frag
[B]You will notice that the unit being attacked has NO Assault strength at all ... This stuck target thing is a known issue that has been mentioned in the Bugs forum that Matrix was going to look into. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, then I've been lucky enough not to see this bug when using the procedure outlined above. Of course I also had recon going so maybe that was the difference.

Yamamoto

siRkid -> (1/17/2003 9:15:17 AM)

This is a known bug that we have thoroughly investigated. The AI will select one target to attack.
And will attack it until its fatigue level reaches 100% at which time it will not make any more ground attacks. Once the fatigue level of the selected target falls below 100%, the AI will resume the attacks. Because of the way the code is written, it has been decided that we could cause more harm than good if we tried to fix it.

I have found that I can get around this by attacking the airfield or the port. The ground loses from those attacks appear to be spread around the available troops.

I know its not the answer you want to hear but that’s were it stands. It will remain on the list but as a low priority.

Grumbling Grogn -> Cool (1/17/2003 9:27:26 AM)

Actually that is great. We have a work around we can use. :)

When you say it is on "The List" I assume you mean for WitP. Or is it on the "The List" for UV? Is there even a list for UV? ;)

siRkid -> (1/17/2003 9:32:03 AM)

The list applies to WITP but there is always a chance it may be back fitted.

Rick

Grumbling Grogn -> (1/17/2003 9:36:20 AM)

As I thought, no problem. FULL STEAM AHEAD! ;)

Veer -> (1/17/2003 2:44:39 PM)

Thanks guys... for all the tips and advice. PM should fall soon now. ;)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI