RIP Tom Clancy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Hertston -> RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 5:02:58 PM)

Very sad news.

Hasn't had much to do with the games carrying his name of late, but used to really interested in the genre at one point (SSN, for example). And Splinter Cell is still one of the coolest franchises ever.

british exil -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 5:32:07 PM)

Very sad news. I have quite a few of his books in my book collection.

Mat

Max 86 -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 6:21:08 PM)

He will be sorely missed. Like many of you I have read so many of his novels and enjoyed them all tremendously. His books made me forget where I was or what I was doing, just total immersion.

RIP sir and good journey.

Erik Rutins -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 6:36:58 PM)

Sad news indeed, I hoped he would be with us for decades to come.

british exil -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 6:59:31 PM)

Was following the release of Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm reading the DAR 3rd Red Banner from Mad Russian, thinking it is an intersting game, esp as one of the maps seems to be in Rinteln on the Weser about 20km from where I live. Was thinking it is time to read Tom's "Red Storm Rising", little did I know that he had died.

Will read the book next week, a grand Story teller, will as Max 86 said will be sorely missed.

Mat

Greybriar -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 7:56:50 PM)

Very sad news indeed. Tom Clancy was only 66. May he rest in peace.

Capt. Harlock -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 8:14:38 PM)

quote:

Was thinking it is time to read Tom's "Red Storm Rising", little did I know that he had died.

Will read the book next week, a grand Story tellet will as Max 86 said will be sorely missed.

I think you'll like it -- I was highly impressed at the time. Mind you, it now has to be classified as historical rather than contemporary fiction. Also note that Clancy got the "F-19 Frisbee" wrong when you compare it to the F-117.

british exil -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 9:04:06 PM)

Capt. I must have read 4 or 5 times now, I always wait a few years and get it off the shelf again. I'll be reading it with a few different feelings this time though.

Mat

jday305 -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/2/2013 11:40:24 PM)

His books that included the charactor of Jack Ryan will always be among my favorite books. The character of Jack Ryan will always be the ideal type that the U.S. should hope to have as its president. To bad we have elected such inferior candidates over the last 20 + years. R.I.P Mr Clancy.

CGGrognard -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/3/2013 1:28:21 AM)

RIP Tom Clancy - Thank you for The Hunt For Red October. This book provided the inspiration for me to read more and look into strategic computer games such as Harpoon. Your talents will be greatly missed.

Gilmer -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/3/2013 1:48:31 AM)

Tom Clancy - I picked up Red Storm Rising one day, maybe it was given to me by my aunt who was working for the CIA at the time, not sure, but little did I know how much I'd love his books. In later years, I drifted away from his books, with the last one I read was Jack Ryan's son becoming an assassin of sorts. I never really went back. But, every now and then I re-read one of the old classics that I will always love... Red Storm Rising, Hunt for Red October, Clear and Present Danger, Without Remorse, etc. There was some major league butt kicking in those books.

RIP Mr. Clancy.

cpdeyoung -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/3/2013 2:11:08 AM)

I was delighted to see the Naval Institute had a table at one of the mid-eighties Origins Conventions. I bee-lined over to look at the great books, and noticed an author available to sign a copy of his new novel. I was a member (still am), and so I got a signed copy of 'The Hunt for Red October" at a discount.

I think this, and "Red Storm Rising", led me years later to Computer Harpoon.

I re-read "RSR" last year and enjoyed it again. I wonder how many people are streaming the movie of "Red October" tonight?

Rest in peace, Tom Clancy.

Chuck

histgamer -> RE: RIP Tom Clancy (10/3/2013 2:28:54 AM)

Never read RSR but getting it on Kindle and going to start it tonight.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI