AIM-9x performance (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

mikeCK -> AIM-9x performance (10/4/2013 7:17:58 PM)

I'm not trying to be a home team fan here...but the AIM 9x seems to...well...suck. I kept stats my last game and I achieved a 35% hit ratio with them. AMRAAM was 50%. Now, considering the operational success of the AIM 9L/M in the Falklands, Beirut, Kosovo and both gulf wars...that seems REALLY low

Primarchx -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/4/2013 7:26:39 PM)

I did some testing with AIM-9X from a Hornet with JHMCS, hoping for some off-axis launches, but found it wasn't launching outside the front quarter.

JWNoctis -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/4/2013 8:16:59 PM)

Given the way this is currently calculated, the hit ratio of a 100% base to-hit against a, say, agility 5.0 fighter like F-16 or Mig-29 is 50%, provided that the weapon get through the countermeasures first. Missiles like AIM-9X might still have a greatly incresed boresight limit at least in manual mode, though.

Hopefully this would improve later!

Primarchx -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/4/2013 8:25:23 PM)

In my tests I was firing from manual mode. There's been talk of improving the effect of agility with other factors involved (aspect, energy, etc).

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWNoctis

Given the way this is currently calculated, the hit ratio of a 100% base to-hit against a, say, agility 5.0 fighter like F-16 or Mig-29 is 50%, provided that the weapon get through the countermeasures first. Missiles like AIM-9X might still have a greatly incresed boresight limit at least in manual mode, though.

mikeCK -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/4/2013 8:43:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWNoctis

Seems like saying that even if an AIM 9x gets through countermeasures, it only has a (
50% hit chance is low... Very low. Maybe 50% including the countermeasures; but your talking a 35-40% but rate, which is what I found

CapnDarwin -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/4/2013 11:12:03 PM)

One item not getting mentioned here is the pilot. A well trained pilot aware of a missile threat has a very good chance to evade. Where you get high percentage kills from missile systems is when they are fired in the most optimal of range and aspect to target and the pilot does not see it coming. Things are definitely tougher if you are driving a bus versus a nimble fighter. There is some very good data on missiles kill percentage from the Arab-Israeli wars. If I can find it I'll post it up. It was surprising just how low the hit percentages were (especially from SAMs).

mikeCK -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/5/2013 12:53:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

One item not getting mentioned here is the pilot. A well trained pilot aware of a missile threat has a very good chance to evade. Where you get high percentage kills from missile systems is when they are fired in the most optimal of range and aspect to target and the pilot does not see it coming. Things are definitely tougher if you are driving a bus versus a nimble fighter. There is some very good data on missiles kill percentage from the Arab-Israeli wars. If I can find it I'll post it up. It was surprising just how low the hit percentages were (especially from SAMs).

Well I know in the Falklands, AIM-9Ls achieved an 80% kill rate.
Over Bekaa valley, 51 out of 55 Syrian aircraft downed and also had a kill rate around 80%

Now, I wouldn't think Iranian pilots would fair so much better against an AIM 9x (head on maybe....but most of my shots were when my plane was behind the enemy

ExMachina -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/5/2013 2:29:18 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

I did some testing with AIM-9X from a Hornet with JHMCS, hoping for some off-axis launches, but found it wasn't launching outside the front quarter.

This is maybe a general problem in CMNAO? I've experienced similar problems with torpedoes...

Primarchx -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/5/2013 3:49:56 AM)

Odd thing was that D said off-axis was modeled but I didn't see it do so to any extent.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ExMachina

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

This is maybe a general problem in CMNAO? I've experienced similar problems with torpedoes...

JRyan -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/5/2013 2:53:10 PM)

IS the Python off axis? I was playing brother against brother and the flankers just killed me, not one single flanker or F16 shot down.....

MR_BURNS2 -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/5/2013 3:26:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JRyan

IS the Python off axis? I was playing brother against brother and the flankers just killed me, not one single flanker or F16 shot down.....

Python 4 is off axis 90°, Python 5 goes even farther and is said to have LOAL capability.

Rafael Python 5 promo

Primarchx -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/5/2013 3:33:29 PM)

Yes. So far I haven't seen an AAM launch that exceeds more than 45-60 degrees off nose.
quote:

ORIGINAL: MR_BURNS2

quote:

ORIGINAL: JRyan

Python 4 is off axis 90°, Python 5 goes even farther and is said to have LOAL capability.

Rafael Python 5 promo

Dimitris -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/5/2013 6:37:47 PM)

Hi guys,

Until now we modelled HOB missiles but not the effect of HMDs. From B440 onwards we are modelling each of these factors as having a cumulative effect. So:
- Standard missile, guided weapon, torpedo: 40 degrees
- HOB missile: +20 deg.
- HMD: +30 deg.

So for example an early MiG-29 with R-60s (HMD, no HOB) has 70-deg capability. An F-16C with AIM-9X (HOB) but no HMD can shoot up to 60 deg. And a Su-27 with R-73 or F-15I with Python 4 (HOB + HMD) can go all the way to 90 deg.

We'll probably need to tweak this some more in the future but it think we're on a good path.

Primarchx -> RE: AIM-9x performance (10/5/2013 6:39:09 PM)

Right on, D!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI