Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Dimitris -> Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/11/2013 2:53:19 PM)

http://www.simhq.com/daily-news/command-modern-airnaval-operations-1-01-review.html

ExMachina -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/11/2013 3:45:25 PM)

Ah! A much more balanced review--pros and and cons enumerated and fair all round.

BKLANDIN -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/11/2013 4:28:41 PM)

A very professional and highly informative review. I really enjoyed
the chapter "The Operational Art" on page 5, where he talked about some of the functionalities which make this sim a must for me. He also gave me some clues on how to approach some things differently. I will make a copy of this review for future reference. Even though it is not tutorial, it is a nice look under the hood, a good introduction for new people and a reminder for older folks of some of the things we like about this type of computer simulation.

Great job.
Thanks for the link Sunburn.

strykerpsg -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/11/2013 6:59:30 PM)

Great job Erich! Thank you for your diligence in representing this lady in all her grand splendor!

Matt

Real and Simulated Wars -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/11/2013 9:40:26 PM)

One of the best reviews I ever read. Thanks for the link!

Cheers,

erichswafford -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 12:19:56 AM)

I'm sincerely flattered, guys. I hope it gives prospective players a good feel for what the game is like, and perhaps understand its history a bit.

The real credit, of course, goes to all the guys at Warfare Sims who single-handedly resurrected this entire genre of Wargaming, and did it right.

- Erich

JRyan -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 12:49:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kondor999

I'm sincerely flattered, guys. I hope it gives prospective players a good feel for what the game is like, and perhaps understand its history a bit.

The real credit, of course, goes to all the guys at Warfare Sims who single-handedly resurrected this entire genre of Wargaming, and did it right.

- Erich

After the crap you took, I will hand it to you, that was the way to answer....kudo's and +10 to you.

kaburke61 -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 1:47:23 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JRyan

After the crap you took, I will hand it to you, that was the way to answer....kudo's and +10 to you.

+1 [:D]

mikmykWS -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 1:50:58 AM)

It is one of the best reviews I've ever seen at any site. Seriously. Very thoughtful and oriented toward people who play games.

Mike

BKLANDIN -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 2:41:46 AM)

I have to agree. A nice job matriculating the ball down the field.[:D]

Mac Linehan -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 3:12:16 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BKLANDIN

A very professional and highly informative review. I really enjoyed
the chapter "The Operational Art" on page 5, where he talked about some of the functionalities which make this sim a must for me. He also gave me some clues on how to approach some things differently. I will make a copy of this review for future reference. Even though it is not tutorial, it is a nice look under the hood, a good introduction for new people and a reminder for older folks of some of the things we like about this type of computer simulation.

Great job.
Thanks for the link Sunburn.

+1 -

Very Professionally done; I gained much insight from reading the review.

I would also like to put in my vote for some form of crew training/experience level - that would be awesome!

Well done, Sir!

Mac

sneekyzeke -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 8:24:26 AM)

Most excellent review of a most excellent product! Nice job, Erich.

Banquet -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 2:03:00 PM)

Very good review. That is exactly what people thinking of buying the game should be reading.

Can you give more details on the iphone virtual monitor? I would be interested to try that.

smudge56 -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 2:45:43 PM)

A balanced and mature review. Impressive.

F4Phantom -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 3:54:12 PM)

Thank you for this review! I really enjoyed reading it! As the gentlemen before me have mentioned, a very balanced and informative review. :)

erichswafford -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/12/2013 7:19:54 PM)

I used an iPhone app called "Air Display". It just makes your phone into a secondary monitor, and it's connected via Wi-Fi. I've also used it for my iPad and it works great with that as well; but I wanted to do the iPhone thing because it was for my laptop.

Really, I was just messing around but it's still kinda neat. I'll post up a step-by-step for anyone interested. You know, it would be really cool to have the message log print out to an old dot matrix. That would sure recreate that 80's CIC feel lol.

Oh, get this. I can play Command pretty well using LogMeIn Ignition on either my iPhone or iPad, using either one to control my desktop PC - even over LTE/4G. My wife caught me doing that at dinner when she left to use the ladies room. I didn't see her return and she nailed my ass.

Guys, I don't recommend trying that if you're in a similar committed relationship. Take my advice - if you're not married, dump the girl and play Command instead [;)]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Banquet

Very good review. That is exactly what people thinking of buying the game should be reading.

Can you give more details on the iphone virtual monitor? I would be interested to try that.

Banquet -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/13/2013 9:52:15 PM)

Thanks Kondor, I'll give it a go :)

Marder -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 9:29:04 AM)

The first review of simhq was so bad that I have not yet bought the game. ( I can not post any links.)
After reading this review of version 1.01, which was so good then I've done it yet.
The patch has honestly changed or improved much?

Der Zeitgeist -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 10:30:38 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marder2075

The first review of simhq was so bad that I have not yet bought the game. ( I can not post any links.)
After reading this review of version 1.01, which was so good then I've done it yet.
The patch has honestly changed or improved much?

I think it depends a lot on your expectations. The thing you'll have to keep in mind is that CMANO is still in development basically, and it will be for many years to come. If you expect the game to be in a "finished" state right now, you will probably be disappointed. If you are patient however and see it as a product that will be further refined in the coming months and years, you will have quite a lot of fun with it.

Renato -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 11:40:39 AM)

I concur with Der Zeitgeist.

The potential is very very great; you may think to Harpoon on steroids, but there is still much work to do.

The UI is functional but a little cumbersome; the main inconveniance for me is that sometimes the game didn't start and it isn't clear why (dotNetFx40?, DXSETUP?).

On the positive side, the devs seem up to now much engaged to overcome the problems.

Dimitris -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 3:15:55 PM)

Some of the comments in these forums and elsewhere make it sound like the game is the house equivalent of a construction dump. (And nobody will pay to move-in to an unfinished house... right?)

The game is perfectly playable right this moment, and that was also the case when it was first released. Warts and all. It is already IMHO (and of others) the best air/naval wargame out there, period.

That we are here, discussing flaws discovered both pre- and post-release and evaluating what must be addressed first, does not mean the game is "half-finished". It simply demonstrates that we're not a "take the money & run" shop, and that we're here for the long haul.

This reminds me in many ways the situation with the F-16A during its first few operational years (1978-1982/3ish).

Was it a work-in-progress? Very much so. Were there a ton of bugs & flaws waiting to be fixed? You bet. (And some of them, like the wiring-caused vertigo or the initial engine problems, got quite a few pilots killed). Was there a truckload of backlash from the existing "user community" who were used to doing things differently? You only had to ask an F-4 pilot about the sidestick controller or the lack of a dedicated WSO. And most of the criticism about its limitations at the time ("No autonomous LGB capability? No Sparrow? No TESEO? No NAW precision strike? No PGMs except Mav-A/B? No variable-geometry inlet? No built-in ECM? What are these guys thinking?") was technically accurate. While also missing the greater point.

The greater point being that the aircraft was already doing things none of its predecessors could do (9G, HOTAS, vastly improved SA, unparalleled strike precision, longer range, lower LCC, etc. etc.), it was based on more modern fundamentals (eg. MIL-STD-1553 - a very big thing back then) and that it was the first step of an evolutionary path that would rectify all its initial shortcomings and turn it into the most successful US-built jet fighter of all time, surpassing even the "sacred cow" that was the F-4.

Those who appreciated its potential were quick to acquire it even in its initial version despite its limitations (US, Israel, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Denmark, Turkey), well before it was used in combat. And in combat, used by operators that understood its strengths and weaknesses it went from one homerun to another (Osirak, Bekaa).

The rest (F-16C etc.) is history.

Now of course someone will come up with the valid objection "yeah but the C and particularly Blk40/42 was the first version that fixed most of the major initial limitations, and the big recognition & sales really only came after the mid-80s and especially post-Desert Storm".

To which I answer... so what? For every product you have early adopters willing to go through the teething problems because they recognize the value they are getting from day-1 (imagine the Israelis fighting Bekaa just with F-4s), and (a typically much larger volume of) later customers who realize they've been missing on a good thing. This happens all the time. We often recognize this behavior in ourselves as users of other products/services so we are aware of it and understand it and work with it.

So, to summarize. Command will be "finished" when there's nothing to improve or add, and if Harpoon is any indication it may take a few decades to get there. In the meantime, we're adding things, fixing flaws, and enriching the game from the feedback of the customers. Does this make it "unfinished", a work-in-progress? Yes, you could say that. Does it make it unusable, a "construction dump", something not worth the price of entry right now? In our mind, and the overwhelming majority of the people who have bought it until now, no. It simply means it has a bright future ahead, and ignoring it really means missing out on a good thing.

Thanks!

erichswafford -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 4:39:06 PM)

Let's put it this way:

Even if all development stopped on Command right now, it would still be the best game of this type ever made.

The fact that it will get even better, has a dedicated following producing new scenarios, and has possibly the most responsive dev team on the planet is merely icing on the cake.

Der Zeitgeist -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 5:44:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kondor999

Let's put it this way:

Even if all development stopped on Command right now, it would still be the best game of this type ever made.

The fact that it will get even better, has a dedicated following producing new scenarios, and has possibly the most responsive dev team on the planet is merely icing on the cake.

I don't think we're quite there yet, we probably will be before Christmas, though. The enhanced air ops AI will probably solve a lot of the most pressing problems that are there right now.

thewood1 -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 8:18:23 PM)

I think some people may be looking at history through rose colored glasses. Harpoon 2/3/ANW had massive amounts of micro-management. I coulldn't trust the AI to do anything without close supervision. Good scenarios came about because scenario designers had a decade to hone the craft and jump though some pretty massive hoops to work around system and AI deficiencies. The expectation that Command would come out of the box and eliminate that micro-management is somewhat delusional. Where Command is, weighing good/bad against anything else even close to the same class, is head and shoulders above.

That is on top of the fact that H2/3 was relatively unstable through most of its existence.

Der Zeitgeist -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 8:57:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

The expectation that Command would come out of the box and eliminate that micro-management is somewhat delusional.

Well, but you have to admit that the developers were extensively promoting exactly that. It's even on their homepage (http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=1873). When you look through that preview, there are several features mentioned that are simply not implemented currently. Sure, they will probably be added in the coming months, but expecting reasonably intelligent tactical AI at release was not delusional, if one didn't assume these previews were simply overhyped.

thewood1 -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 9:01:20 PM)

And they have eliminated a lot of it. In surface to surface, I rarely get involved. The only time I do is if I am fine-tuning gun vs missile.

Again, I think you are only looking at the stuff that doesn't work. There are people that no matter how good a game is, will continuously focus on the things that don't work the way the like or expect. There is one reviewer in particular that the game is more about finding what is broken.

Der Zeitgeist -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/26/2013 9:16:20 PM)

quote:

Again, I think you are only looking at the stuff that doesn't work.

Yes, I am, you're exactly right. Because pointing out the problems obviously leads to the developers fixing them as fast as they can. [:D]

quote:

There are people that no matter how good a game is, will continuously focus on the things that don't work the way the like or expect. There is one reviewer in particular that the game is more about finding what is broken.

I certainly hope I'm not compared to the one that shall not be named. [:D]

Really, I don't criticise for the enjoyment of finding any faults or bugs. I'm spending quite a lot of time with CMANO or other related activities like resarching OOBs for scenarios I'm planning, and it's quite a lot of fun so far. If I wasn't seeing the potential in the game I certainly wouldn't spend hours with it but would rather play GTA V or something.

strykerpsg -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/30/2013 3:25:34 PM)

Have you ever noticed.that a high percentage of the highly negative posts are from new members that seem to also pop up in other forums and are fans of the original Simhq review posted by the unmentionable(TM pending)? Just saying......

[&o]

tocaff -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/30/2013 5:32:24 PM)

A very well done review. The game isn't perfect, but what is? Ongoing support is something that makes a game great. People thought War In the Pacific (WITP)and then WITP/AE were expensive, but when you consider the time spent over the years playing then the cost becomes nothing. I expect that I'll be feeling that way with this baby too.

navwarcol -> RE: Command v1.01 review at SimHQ (10/30/2013 8:53:50 PM)

Reading through this post, I am also not sure how a game I have spent more than half of my free hours on over the past month now, PLAYING, could be considered unplayable. I also have posted a few things I hope to see AS ADDITIONS, but none of them missing at the moment, affect the game in any way. I am not sure why people dance around the name of he who shall not be named, but yes, I saw his review as well. I even agreed with parts of it such as the weather, but, again, even those parts did not make the game unplayable... adding those things will make the game even better, but I do not regret my purchase at all, and I do remember regretting my H2 purchase a long time ago. It took really years, AND a lot of work by the same people who did this game, before I really enjoyed the H2 game, and before I even purchased H3.
In short, this is not an unfinished house, this is a very comfortable house with a lot of room for expansions, and new rooms.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI