[FIXED B543] Single rail launcher rate of fire (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Adam106 -> [FIXED B543] Single rail launcher rate of fire (11/7/2013 10:09:57 AM)

One potential problem I've come across is the rate of fire of single rail missile launchers. Platforms like the Oliver Hazard Perry and Type 42 have single or at most double rails - but in game they can ripple off multiple missiles with the space of 1 second. This is not accurate, and makes them more powerful and capable than they really are.
The database gives the OHP FFG a ROF of 1 for it's launcher. This seems far too short - 4-6 would seem more reasonable. If this is intentional, why? and if not do you think we'll see any changes?

ExMachina -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (11/7/2013 11:54:31 AM)

This appears to be a general feature that is (currently?) lacking in CMANO. While the rate of fire of a mount is modeled, the reload time of the mount isn't. The developers are aware of this problem.

e2204588 -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (11/7/2013 12:15:50 PM)

Since mk13 on perry only has one missile on mount. Mount ROF 1 is meaningless.
Mount magizane ROF is 8 sec for mk13 mod4. (You can only see them with SQLite viewer. It is not in database viewer currently.)

However, there is a bug (feature? ), second missile is reloaded immediately. You can check this screenshot.

[image]local://upfiles/45367/EF072B698AAF4C7AA2EEA2950E27ADAD.jpg[/image]

thewood1 -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (11/7/2013 12:21:14 PM)

Is this a real bug, as in logic error, or is it a database issue. I don't see the point of having a ROF setting if reload is and refiring is instantaneous.

Jorm -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (11/7/2013 7:57:28 PM)

most thing seem to happen to 'fast' in the game ships change 90 degree in direction in seconds some times and subs seem to change level at gut wrenching speeds.

Dimitris -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (1/9/2014 5:34:27 PM)

Thanks! Logged.

ExMachina -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (1/9/2014 10:39:50 PM)

FWIW, this affects more than rail launchers. The Brit't GWS-25 sextuple launcher in CMANO's Falklands scenarios can reload it's six missiles nearly instantly as well.

Thanks for taking a look at this [:)]

makobyte -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (1/10/2014 9:56:46 PM)

One issue that is not mentioned is that while the Mk13 can put out 40 missiles in about 50 seconds, the shooting platform (in this case a OHP FFG) can only provide guidance to two targets (minus any Harpoon missiles). The standard loadout (at least when I was a FC) was 1 GMTR (Guided Missile Training Round (aka "blue bird"), 35 SM-1MR (aka "white birds" or "live rounds") and 4 Harpoon SSMs.

The SM-1MR's used SARH (Semi-Active Radar Homing) to be guided to the target following the return from the CWI (Continuous Wave Illumination) which is held on target using the CAS (Combined Antenna System) or STIR (Separate Tracking and Illumination Radar).

The all 35 missiles could in theory be fired at one target (though in reality only about 6 missiles would be shot since the Mach 2+ SM-1MR would reach the target rather quickly and the SM-1MR has a rather short range, the target would probably not exist after that time) as each missile would independently guide to the CWI return.

The standard engagement routine used when I was active was "Shoot, Shoot, Look, Shoot"; basically 2 missiles were shot and if the missiles missed shoot again.

The Mk13 launcher is very effective when used with a system that can engage a limited number of aerial targets (ie. the OHP FFG can engage 2 aerial targets at the same time.

Adam106 -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (3/6/2014 9:27:55 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Adam106

One potential problem I've come across is the rate of fire of single rail missile launchers. Platforms like the Oliver Hazard Perry and Type 42 have single or at most double rails - but in game they can ripple off multiple missiles with the space of 1 second. This is not accurate, and makes them more powerful and capable than they really are.
The database gives the OHP FFG a ROF of 1 for it's launcher. This seems far too short - 4-6 would seem more reasonable. If this is intentional, why? and if not do you think we'll see any changes?

This problem still exists even in the latest release candidate build. Is it being looked at? It's very difficult to take naval combat seriously when a ship can fire off many more missiles in a given time period than it's real life counterpart could... 'Fleet Command' had this modeled pretty well I remember.

Dimitris -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (3/6/2014 9:40:15 AM)

The problem is known, and affects ***ONLY THE FIRST*** reload of a mount after commencing fire. The first replacement round is reloaded immediately, subsequent rounds take the proper time to reload.

I am emphasizing the "first round only" part to explain why this issue has been deemed less urgent than other items (crashes etc.).

In practical terms, each mount gets a free "instant shot". And the more shots a mount fires in succession the less important this issue becomes (e.g. 1+3 vs. 1+10).

(And before ExMachina predictably chips in: Yes, we know that certain mounts, e.g. Seawolf sextuple launchers of the frigate in "Sea of Fire", get a big benefit from this because in their case it's 1+1. Our heads hang in shame.)

If this makes "very difficult to take naval combat seriously", then all I can say is: We are sorry. We'll get to it when we can.

ComDev -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (3/6/2014 10:13:16 AM)

This bug report is bundled with the Salvo Fire work package, and will have to wait post-1.03 [8D]

Casinn -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (3/6/2014 5:23:35 PM)

pace of fixes/improvements is exceptional, though I'm sure each of us still has our own pet peeve in the game. Thanks for fixing this sort of stuff as fast as you guys have.

Dimitris -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (3/6/2014 7:31:35 PM)

You're welcome. We try.

Adam106 -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (3/6/2014 9:00:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sunburn

If this makes "very difficult to take naval combat seriously", then all I can say is: We are sorry. We'll get to it when we can.

Sorry, I got out the wrong side of bed this morning. The constant flow regular of updates is admirable and pretty unique these days. I'm sure you're busy ironing out stuff like this. Thank you.

Dimitris -> RE: Single rail launcher rate of fire (6/15/2014 9:32:23 PM)

Instant first-reload issue fixed in Build 543.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI