So where are the players? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Opponents Wanted

jomni -> So where are the players? (11/8/2013 4:59:03 AM)

This game is multilayer only so I would expect to see some activity here. Given that this is a ghost town at the moment, what are the you guys doing? Reading the manual? Playing with yourselves?

By the way, is there a matchmaking tool inside the software?

My decision on buying or not depends on how active the community is.

Zorachus99 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/8/2013 5:03:32 AM)

The game used to be face to face, and takes a lot of interaction to play. You often get to do things to ruin your enemies plans during their phase, primarily with air units.

I'll be playing on Saturday Morning I'm sure ;)

I poked at it this evening when I had time, and had started a learner's 5-turn Barbarossa game against myself to familiarize myself with the UI.

Lingering Frey -> RE: So where are the players? (11/8/2013 2:43:49 PM)

Personally, I'm working on learning the interface. I spent several hours last night just trying to set up a few countries in a solo game. For me, World in Flames is the most rewarding wargame ever made. It is not a multi-player FPS game with servers overloaded on day one of launch or even a typical computer strategy game from Matrix. If you purchase the game, I have no doubt you will find thoughtful people looking to find an opponent. (multiple people on each side was promised soon.)

I anticipate a HUGE caveat to that though. Unlike most multiplayer online games, playing a game of WiF against someone is not a transient experience. When it comes to personal interaction playing WiF is more like a Role-Playing Game campaign than a Panzer General type game with matchmaking; it is a real time commitment. You don't necessarily need to only play against friends, but clashing personality types will cause games to stop before they really get started. (Probably after many hours just setting up and beginning a game.)

alexvand -> RE: So where are the players? (11/8/2013 5:37:38 PM)

I'm busy learning the interface and running a solo game. I intend to run multiple solo games before I seek out any players.

That will take a couple of months to do.

Don't be surprised this is a ghost town right now. We're all busy learning the game. Just watching the tutorial videos will take a couple of hours, and people new to this game will really want to do that.

Then you need to read the manual, review all the charts......

Tons of fun! I love it!

gridley -> RE: So where are the players? (11/8/2013 8:47:02 PM)

I think this will be a busy place soon as well. I may be a little longer getting here...busy season for me at work. Others will be here shortly, I'm sure.

Rekm41 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/8/2013 10:00:26 PM)

I was wondering the same. I have been beta testing for a bit now and now have the game. :) I would be interested in attempting to begin a game. Preferably Global War with many options on. I think it would be beneficial to both parties in learning against someone. -5 GMT.

ulysisgrunt -> RE: So where are the players? (11/9/2013 4:57:29 PM)

I can see that this will require a great commitment in time. I'm a really old grognard started playing Tactics II in 1961. As I am now retired; I can play this.....
Once I've mastered a few turns myself.
Danny Weitz

La Quinta California

Rekm41 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/9/2013 6:18:28 PM)

No worse than playing WitP.

Snydly -> RE: So where are the players? (11/10/2013 4:16:11 PM)

I think you will find ... most of us are getting used to the game again after a long hiatus. I will need a month or two before I challenge another player online. [:D]

[sm=sterb029.gif]

Hotschi -> RE: So where are the players? (11/10/2013 6:44:37 PM)

I will wait with playing a fellow human as opponent until I have learned all the essentials and after a load of solitaire games. I have the odd feeling that rushing into online play too early and thus risk getting a "bloody nose" each time will ruin it for me in the long run.

This game needs time, time to play and time to learn.

jomni -> RE: So where are the players? (11/11/2013 8:25:55 AM)

Isn't it best to learn while playing against a human?

paulderynck -> RE: So where are the players? (11/11/2013 10:21:04 AM)

This game is a tall order. A Newbie has a lot to learn. On top of that, skill has to be developed at using the UI. Once those are mastered, then one can challenge another intellect.

...snatch the grasshopper from my hand...

gw15 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/11/2013 4:58:38 PM)

ulysisgrunt - I PM you about arranging a match.

goulash -> RE: So where are the players? (11/11/2013 7:03:59 PM)

Just to let you all know, I am new thus I am available to play in errrrrrm 2 years time for a novice game [:D]

Seriously, as soon as I feel I have learned enough to play, I would not mind setting up a multiplayer game and seriously hope someone makes one of those online clubs specifically for this game.

jomni -> RE: So where are the players? (11/12/2013 12:15:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

This game is a tall order. A Newbie has a lot to learn. On top of that, skill has to be developed at using the UI. Once those are mastered, then one can challenge another intellect.

...snatch the grasshopper from my hand...

So you spent countless hours to learn the game and maybe not even taking on a real opponent or at least finish a whole global war. Then you get distracted when a new game gets released. Very nice game indeed.

keyser soze -> RE: So where are the players? (11/12/2013 1:45:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

This game is multilayer only so I would expect to see some activity here. Given that this is a ghost town at the moment, what are the you guys doing? Reading the manual? Playing with yourselves?

What did you expect? Game has no AI and no PBEM. It can be the best WWII game of all time but with no PBEM option it is a crap.

sillyflower -> RE: So where are the players? (11/12/2013 2:17:35 PM)

anyone know what netplay is? Does it allow eg 2x2

Rekm41 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/12/2013 3:27:43 PM)

It is currently only able to have 2 playing. One Axis one Allies.

Eradanfaroth -> RE: So where are the players? (11/12/2013 8:34:41 PM)

quote:

There is a matchmaking tool inside the software, sort of a dedicated forum with a grid to complete to post a research of opponent. This dedicated forum allow you to launch netplay too.

jomni -> RE: So where are the players? (11/12/2013 11:31:39 PM)

Good to know.

Update: I bought the game already.

Rekm41 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/13/2013 11:13:16 AM)

I feel I am ready to attempt a Netplay game. At least to see how it works etc. If anyone is interested PM me and we can discuss details etc. I am -5 GMT (EST).

chekers_MatrixForum -> RE: So where are the players? (11/13/2013 7:18:25 PM)

Spending all my time learning!

Totenkopf99 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/19/2013 11:05:11 PM)

Just received this MASSIVE game today! I so remember this game from the 1990's when I bought the "first and original installment' of the base game...OMG. I will some time to play but would like to be considered in the future for a multiplayer game for NOOBS [:D]

onionking -> RE: So where are the players? (11/22/2013 12:03:23 AM)

Very excited about MWiF!! I tried without success to interest any of my gamer circle in this game, as the complexity just was too daunting for them. (Same with ASL) A couple of months and should be up to Noob standard. Looking forwards to Patton and especially America in Flames!

Majorball68 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/25/2013 3:09:57 AM)

Learning curve!! Will source opponents after I take the 3 months to learn the interface and all the rules! Doing the right thing though and making sure a few of my mates get the game.

Majorball68 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/25/2013 3:10:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chekers

Spending all my time learning!

Me too

Majorball68 -> RE: So where are the players? (11/25/2013 9:30:05 PM)

Also the game has recently been released. I have been waiting years for the release and I am sure as word gets around many more people will be interested

Hairog -> RE: So where are the players? (12/8/2013 5:21:12 AM)

I'd love to play a small country in a multiplayer game but just don't see how it can be done with all the sub-phases etc. I would think it would take longer than the real war. Maybe I just don't have enough imagination to see how it could work. [:(]

chekers_MatrixForum -> RE: So where are the players? (12/8/2013 6:23:33 AM)

I'm just waiting for it to be stable online so any game I play can actually be played through.

Ubercat -> RE: So where are the players? (12/18/2013 12:06:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: keyser soze

quote:

What did you expect? Game has no AI and no PBEM. It can be the best WWII game of all time but with no PBEM option it is a crap.

Thanks for your contribution. I'm sure it will be helpful to, um ... somebody.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI