My first bad saved game file (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3

EricLarsen -> My first bad saved game file (1/21/2003 11:24:21 PM)

Last night I had lots of fun playing SUDG for about 7 hours. I got several hundred years of time in and won the massive battle of Algol. Two federated alien battlegroups of about a dozen warships of all sizes from scout to cruiser (and all I had were gunboats and frigates) attacked a new colony of Algol I established I managed to get about 10 ships in system just in time for the alien incursion and in the massive battle I lost a city, a spacedock, and a few tiems on the world but I killed all but one (I think it got away) of the enemy ships.

When I tried going into my saved game this morning before work tp look at the dispositions and have something to contemplate during breaks and lunch I discovered to my dismay that the saved game file wouldn't restore. I could restore the saved game file I made right in the beginning of the game and it would restore the autosave from the night before but several hundred years behind the times. It wouldn't restore my current saved game at all. I sent it off to Andrew so he can see it for himself and maybe by some stroke of magic actually fix it but I won't hold my breath on that wish.:confused:

All I can say is don't trust the autosave function as in my entire 7 hours of play last night it didn't save once!:mad: Andrew needs to fix that so the autosave saves every 50 years minimum so if we need that autosave file we won't lose more than 50 years of play which usually isn't too much of a loss.

From now on I'll be using two current save game files so that I won't experince the heartache of a bad saved game file ruining my enjoyment of the game.:(
Eric Larsen

Scorpiuscat -> (1/21/2003 11:50:32 PM)

I got really hosed like that one time playing Baldurs Gate, from then on, I have a standard procedure with save games.

I start the game (any game) and I do a save at that point, I call it Save 1

Then I go on to Save 2, Save 3 and finnaly Save 4.

After Save 4, I start over at Save 2 and go up again.

This way I always have at least 3 save games to fall back on and 1 save that would be a "fresh" start if I needed it.

I also occasionally backup the whole save file into a safe place in case of a massive HD failure or OS failure and a new HD or format is called for.

This procedure saved my *** on more than one occasion, Morrowind being the biggest. I came up with some corrupted save files in that game one time, but I had a save game that wasnt very far back from where I was in the game.

EricLarsen -> Not getting hosed twice (1/22/2003 4:11:11 AM)

Originally posted by Scorpiuscat
[B]I got really hosed like that one time playing Baldurs Gate, from then on, I have a standard procedure with save games.

I start the game (any game) and I do a save at that point, I call it Save 1

Then I go on to Save 2, Save 3 and finnaly Save 4.

After Save 4, I start over at Save 2 and go up again. [/B]

Scorpiuscat,
I used that method myself with Hearts of Iron to no avail. The 1941 scenario was so messed up I could never get a save that didn't want to produce data mismatches when it restored my saved game files. It got so bad I just returned the game and got my money back.

I hadn't figured on needing to go to such extreme safegaurds with SUDG as the game has functioned perfectly for several weeks and there's been no postings that I've seen of bad saved game files. Hopefully it's just an unfortunate snafu that royally screwed me out of a good game. I am really peeved to lose my Battle of Algol where I dusted about a dozen enemy ships attacking my newest colony, that was such an awesome battle to watch and I was just getting all of my ships back from repairs and refit and was getting ready to launch my own attacks and poof it's gone. Oh well time to do some reading and put the computer games away for a while until I hear from Andrew what's up with the bad saved game file.:(
Eric Larsen

Scorpiuscat -> (1/22/2003 4:27:07 AM)

That does suck, Bethesda was able to restore one of my save games for Morrowind, perhaps the same can be done for your save game.

dragoniv -> (1/22/2003 4:30:46 AM)

hmmm...I've had no issues with the autosave. I use it frequently, especially when I forget to turn off the auto-build freighter routes option (the AI auto-builds routes on some pathetic real estate, most frequently when you're busy saving up to build on the juicy enemy system you just stole).

It's also given me the chance to evaluate how the AI does in repeated space battles with the same starting conditions (read: oops, my dear veteran frigate got too close to that **** scout with the killer beam, let's see if I can get him to use the beam on my newbie scout this time).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI