tcp/ip online play problems (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns

Alby -> tcp/ip online play problems (3/4/2001 12:02:00 PM)

ok, let me first say, I have played the sp series for years, and the online sp3 for at least 3, so I know how to set the air entry and exit, never had any trouble with it. In fact when playing the AI it works fine, but, in online play, apparently, when your opponent chooses his entry direction, it screws up yours, My last opponent stated (after I mentioned my entry was wrong every time) That my planes came in from the direction he had set! Or from the complete opposite of what i had set. 2.) have seen numerous times, when an enemy tank is destroyed, it comes back to life, but a crew remains, where I had seen it destroyed. once tonight I saw a tank destroyed 3 times and it came to life 3 times and left 3 crews. Guess this could be a lag problem as we used to see "vampires"(the Undead) in sp3online. 3.) Not sure if this happens other than offline, but how can a greyhound/armor car/halftrack drive from one side of map all the way to my rear(not from edge to edge of course) without any OP shots fired at it??? This goes back to the "drive BY" issue I believe, which I hope was looked into for 5.0 but has not been mentioned..... 4.) Still getting the magic 2nd HQ unit from time to time Not complaining, just calling attention to this items. guess thats it..... Alby

Paul Vebber -> (3/4/2001 10:01:00 PM)

We are aware of the problems and hope at least reduce the frequency of such occurances. Such is teh result of latency problems generally where one computer "gets ahead" of the other beacuse packets arrive out of sequence causing weird things when they are forced to "synch back up".

Alby -> (3/4/2001 11:13:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: We are aware of the problems and hope at least reduce the frequency of such occurances. Such is teh result of latency problems generally where one computer "gets ahead" of the other beacuse packets arrive out of sequence causing weird things when they are forced to "synch back up".
yes I know the latency problems can cause the "vampires". Could this also be affecting the air entry and exit routes? thanks Alby

Alby -> (3/4/2001 11:16:00 PM)

Forgot one thing AA seems to extremely more lethal in an online game then it does when just doing a random battle vs the AI No planes seem to make it thru. of course maybe they would if they came in where i had planned heheh [This message has been edited by Alby (edited March 05, 2001).]

Paul Vebber -> (3/5/2001 2:49:00 AM)

THereare some strange "gotchas" that still seem to exist as differences in online and regular play. We got some of them this time, but I'm sure not all. We will be running an online test soon and I will let you know for sure.

Alby -> (3/5/2001 5:17:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: THereare some strange "gotchas" that still seem to exist as differences in online and regular play. We got some of them this time, but I'm sure not all. We will be running an online test soon and I will let you know for sure.
Thanks paul!!( air entry thing drivin me batty..lol) Alby

CF_Medic -> (3/5/2001 1:14:00 PM)

Lol, short trip ole buddy? Where have you been hiding anyways? ------------------ Militas Succurimus

Michael Wermelin -> (3/5/2001 1:59:00 PM)

The online/TCP/IP play has some bugs. No doubt. It is still the greates way to have a really good time with SPWAW as I see it. Yesterday a friend om mine and I played a couple of battles. In the first we experienced the air entry bug. In the second game playing GE assaults FR in may -40 My Do bomber with a load of 250 kg bombs came upon some french armored cars. On my screen (german) the bombs were dropped but on the french players screen the Do was using a 150 mm FH !! A number of rounds later my second Do went to bomb clustered french infantry. On my screen the bombs were dropped and the french died in great numbers. On my friends screen, the 150 mm FH fired and gave some suppression but no casualities. In the next turn, on my screen, the french infantry came back from the grave and started shooting. Guess if my german riflemen routed when set upon by theese horrific undead french [img]http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] [This message has been edited by Michael Wermelin (edited March 05, 2001).]

WanhaPatu -> (3/5/2001 4:52:00 PM)

Online game really seems to have lots of bugs. But anyway it is great fun! One thing I have discovered: we tried to play 2 humans vs 1 computer. All went well 'till we started to worry (around turn 10): "Where are they? Why are they not attacking us?" We sent some cavalry to do some scouting and we did find the enemy forces - they were at the exact place where computer had deployed them. They hadn't moved at all and they were supposed to be assaulting us. Any idea why didn't CPU want our victory-hexes?-) ------------------ - Patu

Alby -> (3/5/2001 10:41:00 PM)

quote:

Originally posted by CF_Medic: Lol, short trip ole buddy? Where have you been hiding anyways?
waiting for newest version to be released before I get any games going, then I'll be looking for ya!!!! Wuhahhahahah!

Paul Vebber -> (3/6/2001 8:01:00 AM)

The online version does not have a full AI so you must play with humans in all the places.

Paul Vebber -> (3/6/2001 8:02:00 AM)

As to the Zombie French - that sounds like a problem with different OOBs?

Alby -> (3/6/2001 10:30:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Vebber: As to the Zombie French - that sounds like a problem with different OOBs?
yep I gotta agree paul, when people with diff kobs in sp3 played, weapons fired strange things..Bycyles with 88s, infrantry firing 150mmfh ect ect.. Alby

Michael Wermelin -> (3/6/2001 1:27:00 PM)

We were aware of the problem that could arise if two different versions of the game were installed on our computers. We have seen such problems before and intended not to let it happen again. The installation proceedings were exactly the same this time, so that is not the problem. However, this problem with aircraft is now the only problem we have with differences between the computers. I might also add that the planes were bought as reinforcements. Perhaps the problem lies there. But I'm most certain that the two computers we used have the same version of SPWAW. [This message has been edited by Michael Wermelin (edited March 06, 2001).]

Paul Vebber -> (3/6/2001 11:34:00 PM)

OK Thanks, does it seem to only happen with certain planes? or any plane?

jew_dragov -> (3/8/2001 4:22:00 AM)

BUGs LAN gaming over TCP/IP works fine with human opponents. But fighting against the AI is difficult (impossible). I tried to command one side with my brother against one computer controlled side. The computer enemy cannot ADVANCE or STORM our lines, it always DEFENDS. I hope these functions become soon ready. -jew_dragov

Paul Vebber -> (3/8/2001 5:05:00 AM)

THe AI is not fully functional in online play as it is intended for human vs humna play. Fixing that is not very high on the prority list right now. Sorry.

Michael Wermelin -> (3/8/2001 1:09:00 PM)

Paul ! We experienced our problem only this once and the plane in question was the german Donner (don't remember the number but the year of the battle was 1940), the plane that is armed only with 250kg bombs. It is also the only time I have bought planes as reinforcements. greetings from a cold and snowy Sweden

Kharan -> (3/8/2001 8:52:00 PM)

The thing causing the occasional desync may be the same thing which caused the Combat Mission TCP/IP code rewrite, rounding differences between different types of processors namely. Something that we'll have to live with, although I haven't seen any such problems in our 5 concurrent four-player games.

Alby -> (3/10/2001 7:00:00 AM)

quote:

Originally posted by Alby: ok, let me first say, I have played the sp series for years, and the online sp3 for at least 3, so I know how to set the air entry and exit, never had any trouble with it. In fact when playing the AI it works fine, but, in online play, apparently, when your opponent chooses his entry direction, it screws up yours, My last opponent stated (after I mentioned my entry was wrong every time) That my planes came in from the direction he had set! Or from the complete opposite of what i had set. 2.) have seen numerous times, when an enemy tank is destroyed, it comes back to life, but a crew remains, where I had seen it destroyed. once tonight I saw a tank destroyed 3 times and it came to life 3 times and left 3 crews. Guess this could be a lag problem as we used to see "vampires"(the Undead) in sp3online. 3.) Not sure if this happens other than offline, but how can a greyhound/armor car/halftrack drive from one side of map all the way to my rear(not from edge to edge of course) without any OP shots fired at it??? This goes back to the "drive BY" issue I believe, which I hope was looked into for 5.0 but has not been mentioned..... 4.) Still getting the magic 2nd HQ unit from time to time Not complaining, just calling attention to this items. guess thats it..... Alby
Testing....testing

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI