air group dispand (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Rexor -> air group dispand (12/6/2013 1:22:26 AM)

So I'm starting my first campaign game against the Japanese AI, and I'm trying to get a fix on the ins and outs of disband/withdrawal. Obviously, I've got a lot of units that are going to "go away" soon thanks to enemy aggression. When it comes to LCUs and ships, I can generally judge (however poorly) which I want to save and which I want to throw on the pyre so to speak. But the game is different for air groups, which have the option of withdrawing/disbanding to fight another day. I don't completely understand this, to be honest, but I know it's something I have to manipulate properly if things are going to go well down the road.

My guess is that, for instance, if I have a tiny 2-plane Dutch float plane group that I should just fight them into the ground. But what do I do with decent British LB units at Singapore? I know this falls into the fight-or-flight argument, which is always a matter of taste, but I just want to get a basic grip on the usefulness of disbanding air groups for practical gain.

jmalter -> RE: air group dispand (12/6/2013 3:35:58 AM)

the usefulness of disband/withdraw is negative - if you don't db/wd by the specified date, you will incur a charge against your political points (PP), which is a Bad Thing.

Sometimes you can gain PP by doing the db/wd before the required date.

my general rules for db/wd for air groups are:
- in general, don't do it early, but keep them active, if only in a training role.
- remove all reserve aircraft (send them back to the pool)
- strip out all the pilots (send them to general reserve)
- if possible, upgrade the planes to a less-capable airframe X weeks before the req'd date, where X = the service level of the plane. I'm fairly certain that damaged planes, & those under maintenance, will be lost permanently - you'll prefer to give these 'downgraded' groups enough time to get all the aircraft operational before you withdraw them.

some groups can only disband, their withdraw option is 'greyed out' (unavailable). other groups will return to play in the future - if you've divided a group, make sure you recombine them before withdrawal.

Rexor -> RE: air group dispand (12/6/2013 6:59:29 PM)

Thanks!

chuckj118 -> RE: air group dispand (12/7/2013 5:23:44 AM)

Just some random comments:

Another thing to remember about the fight or flight issue is that destroyed air groups can be repurchased from the dead pile. Leaving some of those British air units to fight around Singapore can give amazing results...in my current game some British biplane torpedo planes just put several torpedoes into a Japanese BB. They can do some real damage up until they run into a bunch of Zeroes. Once they run out of planes I disband them for the 120 day return. If they get over-run you can buy the better units back from the dead pile. Don't bother to repurchase the dutch units.

As to the bombers I put any I keep in area at 100 foot level naval bombing. OP losses will be higher but why stay if your going to be non-aggressive? This at least means they will hit the occasional ship. Anything over 1000 will result pretty much in 0 hits.

Once the Japanese fighter cover becomes heavy it is time to consider flying out the longer range Brits/USA leave the Dutch to fight to the death. Back up and keep fighting for as long as you can...abandon Singapore and go to Java.

As to air units in other areas put a lot of them to training pilots. Trust me, you will need them.

Use second rate aircraft for training.

Some air units are set so that all planes and pilots will be removed when their time to be removed comes. Send ALL the pilots to the air pool manually before disbanding them. Also, at the start of the game set these units to "no replacements" so that no aircraft will be added to them that you can't remove later. Minimize your losses this way. A unit with only a few planes can still train pilots.

When an air unit show the pilots as being exhausted, consider stripping all the pilots by sending them back to the pools and replace them with new ones. It seems to me that any truly exhausted pilots are left in the pool for a bit to rest up. I can not guarantee this however...but it seemed to work with the couple of pilots that I tracked.

Rexor -> RE: air group dispand (12/7/2013 4:22:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nalamin

Just some random comments:

Another thing to remember about the fight or flight issue is that destroyed air groups can be repurchased from the dead pile. Leaving some of those British air units to fight around Singapore can give amazing results...in my current game some British biplane torpedo planes just put several torpedoes into a Japanese BB. They can do some real damage up until they run into a bunch of Zeroes. Once they run out of planes I disband them for the 120 day return. If they get over-run you can buy the better units back from the dead pile. Don't bother to repurchase the dutch units.

As to the bombers I put any I keep in area at 100 foot level naval bombing. OP losses will be higher but why stay if your going to be non-aggressive? This at least means they will hit the occasional ship. Anything over 1000 will result pretty much in 0 hits.

Once the Japanese fighter cover becomes heavy it is time to consider flying out the longer range Brits/USA leave the Dutch to fight to the death. Back up and keep fighting for as long as you can...abandon Singapore and go to Java.

As to air units in other areas put a lot of them to training pilots. Trust me, you will need them.

Use second rate aircraft for training.

Some air units are set so that all planes and pilots will be removed when their time to be removed comes. Send ALL the pilots to the air pool manually before disbanding them. Also, at the start of the game set these units to "no replacements" so that no aircraft will be added to them that you can't remove later. Minimize your losses this way. A unit with only a few planes can still train pilots.

When an air unit show the pilots as being exhausted, consider stripping all the pilots by sending them back to the pools and replace them with new ones. It seems to me that any truly exhausted pilots are left in the pool for a bit to rest up. I can not guarantee this however...but it seemed to work with the couple of pilots that I tracked.

This is precisely the sort of advice I desperately need. (Thanks!) After playing around with smaller scenarios, I have a crude handle on the basics of day-to-day ops. But in terms of thinking strategically when starting a campaign game, I'm still at sea (so to speak). It's hard to know what to do with all this STUFF, especially when you know as the Allies that you're going to be kicked around for a while. And the various pilot pools make my head spin for some reason. I keep getting them confused.

Again, thanks. This gives me some perspective on how to start thinking.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI