Freighters & research. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3

Flyingcursor -> Freighters & research. (1/24/2003 8:46:17 PM)

I'm not sure how the Freighter capacity works in relation to wastage.
A star system provides $20 and a freighter can haul $50 but it shows that theres $15 being wasted due to freighter limitations. Wouldn't there be excess space on the freighter?

Am I to surmise from other posts that it's not always best to let the AI pick the next research project?
AND, how do I tell what family a particular weapon falls under?

Thanks

EricLarsen -> Freighters and Research tips (1/24/2003 10:41:19 PM)

Flyingcursor,
There are two components to consider in evaluating freighter loss, one is carrying capacity which you're seeing, but the other is ship speed or time. The closer a resource system is the less time it will take the frieghter to make it's run and the less wastage. At the same speed the farther away the resource system is the longer it takes to make a run and that's where you get your wastage factor from. As you build new drives that will increase freighter speed and will reduce freighter wastage with the freighters staying the same size. So new drives aren't just important for your warships, they're important for your freighters as well.

Don't let the computer pick your research as you just don't know what you're going to get and you really want to prioritize what you research. My first research project is always computers as I want to be able to see as much of the surrounding starscape as possible as soon as possible. I got into one game where I could see 3 systems initially but after traveling to them I was stuck as far as seeing any others until my new computer got installed.

Download that wonderful tech chart in the SUDG downloads area and print it out. It makes seeing the tech connections so much easier and then you know what you need to research in order to get what you want. It also shows you each weapon family in order which is very helpful for ascertaining what family a particular weapon belongs to as the names aren't always obvious in that respect.
Eric Larsen

dragoniv -> easy fix for early computers (1/24/2003 11:54:26 PM)

put two computers on your early ships--they'll "see" much further that way. Once you discover a star, you can always see it, so after you've found enough stars replace that computer with something more valuable, like an extra engine to go faster.

EricLarsen -> Re: easy fix for early computers (1/25/2003 10:31:11 PM)

Originally posted by dragoniv
[B]put two computers on your early ships--they'll "see" much further that way. Once you discover a star, you can always see it, so after you've found enough stars replace that computer with something more valuable, like an extra engine to go faster. [/B]

dragoniv,
I tried that tactic early on but discovered it really wasn't worth it as the minute you get the next generation computer it makes two computers overkill and you then have waste time to switch configuration to something better. I still stick with the extra pack rockets and drive for early on and find they give me better service at shooting up sentinels and getting to and fro quicker. I usually can explore 2 or 3 systems before having to reload ammo and that really boosts exploration.
Eric Larsen

Flyingcursor -> (1/27/2003 8:37:06 PM)

Thanks Eric and dragoniv

I wondered how many systems other people were getting from each explorer trip. I seem to be averageing about 2.5 systems per trip before refit. Of course depending on the system and the strength of the guards.
I think I'll start going for beam weapons early because the number of systems I could explore went up dramatically after getting rid of the pack rockets and installing beams. 1 fore and 1 aft. Besides it leaves room for other items.
I didn't get much chance to play this weekend so I hope to have some time free this week.

dragoniv -> (1/27/2003 11:30:16 PM)

good early strategy:

two computers (sorry, Eric)
fore/aft rockets

research an alternate weapon (no more ammo, far less space)
then use:
two computers
2 fore / 1 defensive weapon
two engines

now research the computer, then use:
one computer
two engines
two generators
same weapon config

Yes, you'll be changing your ship configs a lot early on, but you only have 2-3 ships (did I mention that you should build an extra scout almost immediately? save any instant starship artifacts for a war that starts with your scouts way out in the field) to have to do this for. You may change them frequently (perhaps each trip back to your home planet), but you'll greatly expand your reach.

I'm fond of playing 50-star games at the intermediate level--things get hairly from the get-go. However, using this strategy I end up with 5-6 wisdoms and lots of advanced research artifacts--meaning only one other race will get to the anti-matter or singularity ages. Guess who I attack (or ally with) first? :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI