Steel Panthers World general ed. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> Unofficial Tech Support By Gamers for Gamers

Sir Walter -> Steel Panthers World general ed. (12/12/2013 12:28:33 AM)

I downloaded 12-11 to find it appears in florescent colors? I tried to redownload same thing?

USS Wyoming -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (12/12/2013 2:42:07 AM)

Your facing an issue for which there is a fix and you should be able to find it on the SPWaW thread on this forum.Its called something like "nightcrawlers fix" or something odd like that. I know I had to do that.
Good luck.

DoubleDeuce -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (12/12/2013 6:17:54 PM)

I believe this is the fix you are looking for: Windows 7 fix for SPWAW

Sir Walter -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (12/13/2013 11:18:31 PM)

well I was able to download this fix if I did it correctly but when I press on it it does nothing.

Sir Walter -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (12/13/2013 11:19:37 PM)

well I think I downloaded the fix it is on desktop but when I open it nothing happens

Sir Walter -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (12/13/2013 11:21:19 PM)

I think I downloaded the fix but it does nothing to open steel panthers when I open it. the help people sent me here as usual they provide no help at all.

rickier65 -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (12/14/2013 1:11:39 AM)

Try right clicking and then choose to unzip the file. Unzip the file into your game root folder. Which is probably located at: C:\Matrix Games\Steel Panthers World At War

Rick

Sir Walter -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (12/14/2013 2:36:13 AM)

[&[&o]well I think I unzipped it to steel panthers but I still get the muti colored screen. I do thank you for your help though

dr. smith -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (2/20/2014 6:26:00 PM)

quote:

the culprit which screws up the 256-color palette in Windows 7 is explorer.exe. Grab the attached file, win7spwawfix.zip, and unzip it to your SPWAW folder, typically C:\Matrix Games\Steel Panthers World At War", and you're all set! You can now use the file win7spwaw.cmd to start the game rather than the shortcut which comes with the game.

Note the bolded - you need to NOT use the old shortcut in order to use the updated version.

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/20/2014 5:43:17 PM)

Has anyone found a viable solution for the issue with this error?

DirectDraw Initialization Error #-2147024809

I've tried all compatibility methods to no avail.

IainMcNeil -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/21/2014 11:04:57 AM)

Some of these old games require your desktop to be at the right colour depth. You might need to change it to 16 bit if running in a window?

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/21/2014 4:20:43 PM)

I was running it full-screen.

The weird part is that it works fine on my laptop running Win7, but it gets this error on a different PC also running Win7.

VPaulus -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/21/2014 9:29:52 PM)

Please attach a DxDiag report file.

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/21/2014 9:39:46 PM)

Hello!

Thank you for your attention, VPaulus. Please see the file attached.

VPaulus -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/22/2014 11:12:44 AM)

Please try the following:

Download this file from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Run and extract it to a folder of your choice. Open that folder and find a file named "DXSETUP.exe". Run and let it install a full version of DirectX9c.

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/22/2014 4:01:24 PM)

No luck.

I downloaded the file, installed it, then ran the game.

I get the same error.

VPaulus -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/22/2014 5:05:19 PM)

Try updating the graphic drivers.
Download the Intel Driver Update Utility and update your graphic chip drivers:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Frozen Stiffer -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/22/2014 7:03:45 PM)

Just did.

Error persists.

VPaulus -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/22/2014 9:21:04 PM)

Sorry, out of more ideas, Frozen. [:(]

mkr8683 -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/23/2014 3:27:00 AM)

I have an idea - Slitherine can remake Steel Panthers and we won't have to worry about getting WaW to run on Win8 [sm=Crazy-1271.gif]

MrsWargamer -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (10/23/2014 12:42:29 PM)

At the risk of putting mud in the water....

I suggest Team Viewer software and a computer savvy buddy to look into your situation.

It's just a game, and should be a no brainer for any cliche computer nerd.

I recently watched a friend of mine casually make the game V4Victory work on my laptop (runs fully updated Windows 8.1). I'd have sworn that game product had no intention of ever running again for me. I had thought the same of Steel Panthers 3 Brigade Combat, but he fixed that as well.

If your problem is fixable, and just an OS not wanting to cooperate, a properly clever person could be fixing it all while you just sat there watching them do it remotely.

In my case, I have simply stopped thinking games can't be made to cooperate on modern machines. I just need the person with the right skills doing the work :)

alf13809 -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (2/1/2015 12:45:59 PM)

Hello,
I have a little problem with Steel Panther World at War.
I have a computer running with windows vista with latest version on the game installed.
At every moment of the gam most of my units can't move forward just bacward. The message is "unable to command unit , u need 2 orders".

Is this normal or what can i do to avoid this kind of message.

Thank you for you cooperation

Matt R -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (2/1/2015 6:57:08 PM)

Alf, go to preferences and turn 'Command and Control' off. Or, go the SPWaW Depot, http://spwaw.com/phpBB2/index.php, and learn how to play with C/C.

Riitaoja -> RE: Steel Panthers World general ed. (2/13/2015 2:03:08 PM)

The NCrawler fix works by shutting down explorer.exe before starting the game. This fix may not work for some users. Also the fix is far from ideal since it is basicaly shutting down an integral part of the Windows OS and may thus adversely affect background processes and functionality.

A less drastic fix is to enable the Windows build in ddraw compatibility for mech.exe. Unfortunately Microsoft has not provided a simple option in the compatibility tab to just enable this fix. Instead it is hidden in the windows registry.

Assuming your SPWAW game is updated to the latest version 8.403 you can create the registry fix as follows:

quote:

The manual method:
To enable the DirectDraw compatibility mode for SPWaW manualy you need to copy paste the folowing text string to notepad and save it to a file with the extension (.REG). So you should then have a file called SPWAW_colorfix.reg for example. Then just run it and if all goes well you should get a promt asking if you want to add the information to your registry. Click Yes.

Copy paste the text below to your notepad:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\SPWaW-v8.403]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="mech.exe"
"ID"=hex:45,1a,94,43
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\SPWaW-v8.403]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="mech.exe"
"ID"=hex:45,1a,94,43

Now when you launch the game the colors may still appear distorted but once you click on the EDITOR or go into the battlescape the colors should be normal.

If you do not want to use the registry fix you can also google "Aqrit ddraw" to find a site that has a ddwrapper program that does the same thing without modifying the registry. You do need to edit the option "ColorFix = 1" in aqrit.cfg to enable it. And make sure the files aqrit.cfg and ddraw.dll are in your /Steel Panthers World At War/ folder.

Yet another method to run SPWAW is through the DxWnd program. Google "dxwnd" and you should find a sourceforge -site that you can download it from.
If you use the DxWnd program just select the "Edit" tab and choose "Add". Now from the Path field click the "..." and browse to your mech.exe. Also deselect the "Run in Windows" option and select the "Fullscreen only" option. Then click OK and start the game from the mech.exe that now appears in the DxWnd main screen.

Edit
You can read more about the fixes for SPWAW on modern systems in this forum Topic:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3800956
Read through the posts with patience and you should find several methods of fixing SPWAW.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI