New guy: Looking for key techs to research (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Timotheus -> New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/13/2013 10:23:24 PM)

Looked at the wiki, and I did not find it... that good.

I am looking for key techs to research which help the player, and which are most important early game.

Also am confused about cashflow and commerce techs - what do these do?

I realize that warp bubble and then the Gary Gygax hyperdrive are key for your civilization, as well as the construction techs which allow you to build bigger ships. This is perhaps the most important research branch.

But what other techs are crucial and one should get as early as possible?

Cashflow - no idea how that works. I had a smallish empire, had positive cashflow and positive bonus cashflow, and the cash on hand was fluctuating wildly, and it took a loooong time to get into a positive despite having positive cashflow for quite some time. What gives?

Is there a good guide to the techs available for the game, which goes beyond just listing them and goes more in depth about a tech strategy?

Thanks in advance.

zenkmander -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/13/2013 10:44:45 PM)

You'll learn the most about this game from just playing. People will recommend things that work for them and their playstyle, but might not necessarily work for you and your playstyle. It's all situational.

Read the in-game galactopedia and look at the Components section. If you're unsure about anything in the game, try and look it up in the galactopedia. You will probably make mistakes in your first few games and that's normal. Explaining every facet will basically be an essay [:)]

As for cashflow, keep an eye on maintenance costs. Everything you build will cost maintenance. Look at the Empire Summary screen for more info.

Bonus income fluctuates wildly because the private sector builds ships at their own pace; when they build, you get money. Trade and tourism income fluctuate as well and are difficult to predict, so don't rely on them.

Timotheus -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/13/2013 10:51:14 PM)

"People will recommend things that work for them and their playstyle, but might not necessarily work for you and your playstyle."

I am OK with this.

If peeps would list theur strats and explain why it would help me (and other new guys) understand the nuances better and make more informed decisions in game.

drmario89 -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/14/2013 1:25:54 AM)

My strategy may be a little cheap, but I tend to rush after wonders once I'm done researching the hyperdrive and colonization techs. I'm quite impatient, so I really like the High Speed Shipyards wonder. The Trader's Bazaar and the three Research speed wonders in the High tech tree are also a high priority. You gotta be fast with the Trader's Bazaar though, because I think empires with Mercantile Guild governments seem to covet it as well.

After that my research focus is pretty much balanced. I try to unlock new components without focusing purely on one branch, and once I have a certain amount I then retrofit everything with the new stuff all at once instead of each time I unlock new stuff.

I know this isn't very detailed, but I queue up to 60 techs in advance when I start my games(which may not be wise, but whatever) so it would take FOREVER to really explain how I do stuff. I know my way isn't the best strategy but it works for me. Hopefully my 2 cents worth here was helpful. [:)]

Icemania -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/14/2013 2:17:10 AM)

Welcome but please search the forum: Early Game Research

Darkspire -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/14/2013 4:20:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

Is that it? I know they size doesn't matter but damn, I was expecting it to be bigger [:D]

Darkspire

Icemania -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/14/2013 4:57:07 AM)

I'm sure you can make it bigger Darkspire!

Timotheus -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/14/2013 9:17:34 AM)

quote:

That's exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks!

Why is this not stickied somewhere?

I think I will do a quick and dirty guide for new peeps incoming, because searching the forums does not do it for me.

Icemania -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/14/2013 12:45:13 PM)

Good idea

This may also be useful: Guide to Guides

Darkspire -> RE: New guy: Looking for key techs to research (12/15/2013 6:59:45 AM)

quote:

I'm sure you can make it bigger Darkspire!

I will add a bit ... You should have posted it in the War Room where all the other guides are, I missed yours (it's only little, it is the cold of space that does it)

Darkspire

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI