Best units for garrison duty? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

Acme1970 -> Best units for garrison duty? (12/24/2013 9:31:36 PM)

I'm playing as Japan and i have to garrison some of the small islands in the Philippines (Cebu etc.) and i don't want to waste any large infantry formations on garrison duty, I was thinking of using some of the smaller SNLF units but even that seems like a waste, I was wondering what are the best units to use in the garrison capacity.

Nami Koshino -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/24/2013 9:51:07 PM)

As Japan you eventually receive proper garrison units (10th Garrison, 11th Garrison, etc.) They are probably overkill for the garrison requirements, but you could break them up by loading them on separate ships. The Naval Guard units you receive as reinforcements are handy for this purpose too.

Chris21wen -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/24/2013 10:08:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nami Koshino

As Japan you eventually receive proper garrison units (10th Garrison, 11th Garrison, etc.) They are probably overkill for the garrison requirements, but you could break them up by loading them on separate ships. The Naval Guard units you receive as reinforcements are handy for this purpose too.

Any small unit will do, the NGU are just an example. You do not have to ship them, you can fly them, or at least those that are not restricted. Use a 9-12 TR a/c unit to do it and once the garrison level at the destination has reach the critical level stop.

Acme1970 -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/25/2013 12:32:42 AM)

Breaking up units sounds like a good idea since the Philippine islands only require small garrisons anyway, Thanks alot

Puhis -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/26/2013 5:47:15 AM)

I think it's best to use those Garrison units somewhere else, bases that actually need bigger units. My first two Garrison unit goes to Manilla and Rangoon.

In Phillippines I use small SNFL units and airfield companies that have couple infantry squads. Works fine for me.

rustysi -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/28/2013 9:16:41 PM)

I agree with Puhis, but keep in mind those small AF Coy's have very real uses early on. Especially in Sumatra, Borneo, Celebes area. Allied air in the region can be annoying. I like to airlift these small units into a base along with a squadrons worth of fighters and outside his fighter range it'll decimate most bomber missions they can through at you. It'll even suffice in some cases if Allies have fighters in range as their numbers will be small and their skills will be low.

rustysi -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/28/2013 11:54:12 PM)

Oh, and I just remembered. There are 3 NGU units that are broken down. One, the 81st, its units have an AV of 21 perfect for several of those 20 AV bases.

crsutton -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/29/2013 3:06:46 PM)

Well, the point is that with the number of potential bases on the map, you will not be able to garrison enough. Splitting up garrison units and SNLF just dilutes what are weak units anyways and can easily be taken out by any cohesive allied unit in a turn. This pretty much was the historical dilemma that Japan faced. How to defend a vast territory against an enemy who had the capability to take most any point and turn it into an effective airfield. So what should be garrisoned? Any potential level 9 airfield comes first, then potential level 7 or higher ports, Then work your way down.

And, any potential base with a repair shipyard (Manila, Hong Kong and Singapore) should be fortified with the best troops, stockpiled with supplies and built to he highest fort level. The Allies really need an advanced shipyard in late 44 and 45.

mind_messing -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/29/2013 3:57:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Well, the point is that with the number of potential bases on the map, you will not be able to garrison enough. Splitting up garrison units and SNLF just dilutes what are weak units anyways and can easily be taken out by any cohesive allied unit in a turn. This pretty much was the historical dilemma that Japan faced. How to defend a vast territory against an enemy who had the capability to take most any point and turn it into an effective airfield. So what should be garrisoned? Any potential level 9 airfield comes first, then potential level 7 or higher ports, Then work your way down.

And, any potential base with a repair shipyard (Manila, Hong Kong and Singapore) should be fortified with the best troops, stockpiled with supplies and built to he highest fort level. The Allies really need an advanced shipyard in late 44 and 45.

We're talking about the garrison requirements to stop VP bleed rather than garrison requirements to resist the Allied advance.

Frankly, SNLF's aren't going to stop an Allied invasion at all, so you'd be as well breaking them down to stop VP being bled out.

crsutton -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/29/2013 8:22:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

We're talking about the garrison requirements to stop VP bleed rather than garrison requirements to resist the Allied advance.

Frankly, SNLF's aren't going to stop an Allied invasion at all, so you'd be as well breaking them down to stop VP being bled out.

The original poster mentioned Cebu. Is there a Japanese garrison requirement for Cebu?

rustysi -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (12/29/2013 8:59:44 PM)

Yes, 20 AV.

rustysi -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (1/5/2014 8:31:12 PM)

Wrong again. Sorry guys Cebu has a garrison requirement of 40AV. There are several bases around it that require 20AV. Just don't want to put the wrong info here if I can help it.

cohimbra -> RE: Best units for garrison duty? (1/5/2014 8:50:19 PM)

Well, you have this LCU for garrison duty (maybe one more Naval Guard, I'm not able to control at moment):

[image]http://i.imgur.com/JFKUlPV.png[/image]

Hope this help.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI