Inviting newbies in (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

FJeff -> Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 2:19:00 AM)

There doesn't seem to be much effort to invite new players into MWiF. There have been several requests for"walk-throughs" of the two beginners scenarios, but few responses in the AAR forum, except from experienced global war, boardgame players(Bo excepted). Even Steve's Barbarossa AAR skipped to the end of the first turn. It's cool that this game addresses the desires of long-time WiF players but don't you want an expanded player field?

I tried a solitaire game or three in 1990 or so and have followed the Matrix development for almost a decade, but am disappointed in the community's ability to bring in newbies by focusing on regulars who already know the game.

How about a walk-through?

markb50k -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 2:57:09 AM)

I disagree. I played a couple of turns when I was in college in 1989 or 1990 and never played again.

20 plus years later I find this forum an amazing resource and through its AARs I really started getting a feel for what the game was about. Now I am considering posting my own AAR going over my progress so far in my attempt at Global War. Not sure what more you are looking for. Don't mean to be argumentative but I think your summary leaves an impression I don't think the forum deserves.

If you follow the AARs fully reading each entry fully you cannot help grasp the gist of MWiF, newbie and veteran alike

Good luck and ask plenty of questions!

Hairog -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 3:02:28 AM)

I'm getting the impression that it crashes quite frequently if you try multi-player. I'm still learning by playing solitaire.

chekers_MatrixForum -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 3:14:54 AM)

I starting following the development of the game on this forum awhile ago and never played the board game. The aar's were helpful mostly so I could see what the typical results of a game are like and what can be done.  They also helped with some of the strategy. On the other hand they are not very helpful on teaching someone how to play. That really can't be done except by actual game play and a great deal of studying. I'm sure when the online multiplayer is stable that will be a great help for newbies learning the game as they can get someone to walk them through the game. I spent a great deal of time learning the game and reading the books. Luckily I've got a partner who lives with me and we play hotseat games. Sadly the game is still very buggy and the games we play get reloaded quite a bit.

bo -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 4:50:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: FJeff

There doesn't seem to be much effort to invite new players into MWiF. There have been several requests for"walk-throughs" of the two beginners scenarios, but few responses in the AAR forum, except from experienced global war, boardgame players(Bo excepted). Even Steve's Barbarossa AAR skipped to the end of the first turn. It's cool that this game addresses the desires of long-time WiF players but don't you want an expanded player field?

I tried a solitaire game or three in 1990 or so and have followed the Matrix development for almost a decade, but am disappointed in the community's ability to bring in newbies by focusing on regulars who already know the game.

Bo excepted, not sure what that means, I tried to do an AR that was designed for new players to WIF. Never tried anything like that before I did Guadalcanal. I thought it more important that the new players understood some of the mechanics of the game than playing out a whole walk-through that would have helped no one.

I tried to break the ice here, maybe more experienced beta testers should have taken the bull by the horns but they did not for their own reasons, maybe they felt the game needed more cleansing before they did a walk-through, never thought to ask them about that, so I attempted to get out game information to mostly newcomers.

Possibly we all failed in that attempt but the bottom line is we tried.

I have said this before and I am sticking to my guns this game should not have been released without an AI in force. Steve new my feelings on this from day one. But the die is cast and that is the way it is and I will back him as long as he keeps fixing the problems that exist in the game.

With that aside the life and blood of this game will be based on all the newcomers who will purchase this wonderful game. To me at least it is the new people who will make or break this game. These are my feelings right or wrong.

Bo

Sabre21 -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 5:44:37 AM)

Well eventually we will need a good AI since I suspect most computer game players still prefer playing against an AI versus against another human. So without an AI I doubt we will see too many newbies wanting to play solitaire. Netplay will attract some once it starts working properly but it will be a good AI that pulls in the most people.

warspite1 -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 7:24:43 AM)

quote:

warspite1

I agree with markb50k. I think a number of us have tried AAR's (and as you will see from every pathetic mistake, I am hardly an experienced player) - and while these are not detailed, step-by-step walk-throughs, in the posts there is often commentary on reasons for taking certain actions or what options are available etc. As one example, I set out a relatively detailed explanation of the Nazi-Soviet Neutrality pact workings. I also ask lots of questions which Courtenay, Klydon, Orm and others are good enough to take the trouble to answer and which is a VERY useful learning tool.

I must say I do not recall seeing any specific requests for walk-throughs either, but fair enough, if that is what is wanted how about this? At the weekend I will have a go at setting up Barbarossa and trying a walk through. Please let me know in advance what you want to know specifically and I can concentrate on those items as well as anything else I think important.

Just don't expect expert play!!

joshuamnave -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 9:48:25 AM)

I've just started a walk through as a relatively new player. I'm trying to include as much mechanical information as I can for new players (including references to page numbers in the players handbook where needed). I also included a save game file that works as a 1 turn scenario to take out Poland.

And I think that's what the game really needs for new players. A few one turn scenarios like Poland, Pearl Harbor, D-Day, or other very short scenarios that come with walk throughs or videos explaining each step.

chekers_MatrixForum -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/8/2014 9:54:23 AM)

+1 Zartacla. That is exactly what this game needs.

FJeff -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/9/2014 1:22:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

I've just started a walk through as a relatively new player. I'm trying to include as much mechanical information as I can for new players (including references to page numbers in the players handbook where needed). I also included a save game file that works as a 1 turn scenario to take out Poland.

And I think that's what the game really needs for new players. A few one turn scenarios like Poland, Pearl Harbor, D-Day, or other very short scenarios that come with walk throughs or videos explaining each step.

What would be great are a few AARs using the quick setups for Barbarossa and, especially Guadalcanal, since these are designed as "starter" scenarios. Walkthroughs would describe (briefly)what decision are made for each phase, and why.

76mm -> RE: Inviting newbies in (1/9/2014 3:25:22 AM)

quote:

Walkthroughs would describe (briefly)what decision are made for each phase, and why.

This is what would be useful to me. Having read the RAC a couple of times now, I generally understand most of the rules (although have a hard time remembering them) so can more or less push counters around on the map, but still don't have any clue as to play properly. Of course, not having an AI to practice against doesn't help.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI