If Dev Expand Game (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

claystone_MatrixForum -> If Dev Expand Game (1/25/2014 5:16:08 PM)

I just want to first say "Great" work to the team that created this game. Yes, its only my 2nd day playing but i'm hooked...lol.

I just wanted to add something that for me that is would really add to the depth i'm looking for in this game. If the dev could take the world map and add a hex tile system to it so when you zoom in, just like "War in The Pacific AE" has, you feel like your ground units are not floating around. It also now give more substance and grounding for using "Ground Units".

SSN754planker -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/25/2014 5:24:44 PM)

you can turn on latitude and longitude lines from the map options.

claystone_MatrixForum -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/25/2014 8:13:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SSN754planker

you can turn on latitude and longitude lines from the map options.

Not the same. Your troops don't fel like part of the map. The ground troops feel like they are floating. Like they don't belong.

Blu3wolf -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/26/2014 5:42:17 AM)

and, how exactly would adding a hex help them to feel like they are not floating?

I honestly can't see where you are coming from here...

claystone_MatrixForum -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/26/2014 6:39:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blu3wolf

and, how exactly would adding a hex help them to feel like they are not floating?

I honestly can't see where you are coming from here...

Check out a youtube video of: "War in The Pacific AE" and see how your troops sit on the map and you will understand.

Blu3wolf -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/26/2014 6:55:51 AM)

Can't say the hexes do anything for me on the video I watched...

for a turn based game, I can see how defined areas with discrete quanta of movement make sense. For a RTS (that actually puts the S in RTS), a grid or hex seems unnecessary.

I might also note that the hex in the video of WitP I just watched didnt do anything to make the units seem more "part of the map" either.

Jakob Wedman -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/26/2014 7:45:02 AM)

I think that it would be hard to fit a hexagonal grid to a spherical earth. Maybe if you used a pattern with both pentagons and hexagons like a soccer football?

CaptCarnage -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/26/2014 8:16:44 AM)

This game is not really intended for ground units. They are a sideshow really, a supporting cast.
The navsl battlefield is bigger than a ground battlefield. Look at hoe many units there are in a 20x30 km area in Flashpoint Campaigns and look at hie in Command you strike ships that are 23 nm or more away. Or you send aircraft on a patrol mission in a 200x200nm area. Its a different scope really.

El Savior -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/26/2014 2:52:14 PM)

I dont get it how hexes would make map better. Thank god computers have gone this far and FINALLY we are getting real 3D shape world map. Hexes are for 70's and 80's board games, IMHO.

I own "War in The Pacific AE", great game btw.

jdkbph -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/26/2014 3:05:35 PM)

I think I know what he's driving at but, if I'm right, it has nothing to do with hexes.

From a presentation perspective, the main difference between WITP:AE and CMANO is that while they both use stylized icons for units, CMANO uses a photo-realistic world map while WITP:AE uses a drawn map. In WITP:AE the icons and the map "fit" together without jarring the senses. In CMANO the difference between the two is quite pronounced... the icons look like the don't belong, as he said. This is really only apparent on land (hence the singling out of land units in the OP's complaint) as the ocean is typically a uniform blue color.

I think...

JD

PS, this doesn't bother me at all.

mikmykWS -> RE: If Dev Expand Game (1/26/2014 4:02:45 PM)

Players can also build their own if they don't like current set.

Thanks!

Mike

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI