All CC Now Crashing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support

dswebb -> All CC Now Crashing (1/29/2014 2:19:10 PM)

Hello. I've got all the Close Combat series (except for Panthers in the Fog). They all used to run and play fine.

I recently installed new drivers for my AMD Radeon HD6570 video card (the update was required by a change in
photoshop). The update was done through AMD's "Catalyst Control Center" which it installed. Fixed the problem in
photoshop....

But, now when I run ANY of the CC series, the initial window comes up, with the "play," "view maps," etc. options.
When I click on play, the game goes off and thinks with a blank screen for a few seconds, then CC "crashes" to the
menu bar at the bottom of the screen. In other words, the game is still running, but it is minimized. If you try to
open the window, the screen goes black for a few seconds, then it crashes back to the menu bar. The game won't
open to full screen....

If you try to open this minimized window enough times (usually 3-4), then finally a window pops up and stays up.
The window header is "Close Combat Error" and the text says:
"The error occurred at this location... File: TBX_Resource.cpp @ Line: 736 VER: 2011.5.15.1"
"The reason for the error... Close Combat requires Indeo 4.1 to display the videos. Please run the Close Combat
Setup again."

I've tried re-installing, but that didn't help.

I can only assume it is due to the new video driver. I'm running Windows 7 64 bit. I've tried various compatability
modes.

Can anybody help? I want to get these running again!

Thanks for any help.

Doug

SteveMcClaire -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (1/30/2014 4:46:25 PM)

Hi Doug,

Based on the error message I suspect the problem is related to the game trying to play the intro video. Here is something to try:

Rather than running the game through the 'Game Menu' use the 'Quick Start' short-cut, or run CCE.EXE directly from Windows Explorer. While you're starting the game hold down the CTRL key.

This will cause the game to display the Game Options dialog box before the game itself tries to start. This will work in any version of Close Combat but it may not work if you're using the 'Game Menu' front end app and clicking 'Play <version of Close Combat>.'

Once you have the Options dialog, go to 'General' options and turn off 'Enable Videos'. Look for the 'Windowed Mode' option (under the screen resolution) and turn that on -- all but some of the oldest releases (Cross of Iron, Modern Tactics) have this. Longest Day does.

If this works then you can go back and change each of those options one at a time to see if just one is necessary.

Steve

dswebb -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (1/31/2014 12:53:37 AM)

Thanks.

I had already turned off the "enable video" option from long ago. I double checked using your ctrl method and
it is still off. When executing CCE.EXE the same problem occurs as before. Both with and without the ctrl option.

One thing I've noticed....if I log off of my account on my windows machine (NOT reboot it, just log off) and
back on, then eventually CC will work normally again. I usually have to log off/on 3 or 4 times before it will
work.....

What's really strange to me is it used to work flawlessly.... Something must have changed. And the only thing
I can think of is the video driver....

Any further insight would be welcome. Should I try some other resolutions? I think I'm running 1920x1080
currently. Thanks.

Doug

dswebb -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (1/31/2014 1:11:20 AM)

OK, when I changed it to "run windowed" it seems to work now. At least all 3 times I've tried it so far.
I can live with that, as long as it continues to work.

I'll let you know.

SteveMcClaire -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (2/2/2014 2:19:44 PM)

Thanks for the update Doug. Glad it is working at least. I will investigate the issue with the video driver and see what can be done from our end.

Steve

dukewacoan -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (3/25/2014 1:03:11 AM)

I am having a similar issue. When I run either CC-Wacht or CC-Longest, I get the initial video screens, but after that I get the start game menu but scrumped up into a very small CGI looking screen and it locks up. I'm on a new laptop running Windows 8.

Help?

SteveMcClaire -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (3/26/2014 5:02:16 PM)

Hi dukewacoan,

I assume you've already tried the steps above to change the game into windowed mode? If not, please give that a try and see if that resolves the issue on Windows 8. To do this, you can either hold down the CTRL key as you launch the game (before you click the icon/link to launch it) and this should give you the game options dialog, as described above.

Can you tell me the video card you're using, and the video driver you have installed?

Thanks,

Steve

dukewacoan -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (3/26/2014 7:08:09 PM)

The CTRL method fixed it.

Thanks

DuncB -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (3/16/2015 10:21:02 AM)

PLEASE HELP... Just bought Invasion Normandy from Matrix. Download and install went prefectly. When I try to run the game I keep getting' Close Combat Error' message.

Have tried the 'Ctrl' opening. Have tried to 'open' and 'run as administrator'. Have tried all combinations with 'screen res', 'windowed' and 'enable video' Exasperated!! Any ideas please :)

SteveMcClaire -> RE: All CC Now Crashing (3/19/2015 2:49:39 PM)

DuncB,

What version of Windows are you running the game on?

What is the exact error message you're seeing?

What happens when you hold down the CTRL key while the game starts? Are you able to get to the options dialog?

If you can get to the options dialog via CTRL during startup, trying setting the game to 'windowed' mode and turn off videos.

Steve

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI